Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest Domestic Non-Stop

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Longest Domestic Non-Stop

Whats the longest (distance) domestic non-stop on WN. ?

What about the farthest distance you can fly without getting off the airplane. ?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Whats the longest (distance) domestic non-stop on WN. ?
http://www.swamedia.com/channels/Cor...ate-fact-sheet

The longest daily Southwest flight is between Baltimore-Washington (BWI) and Oakland (OAK) (2,447 miles).

What about the farthest distance you can fly without getting off the airplane. ?
Oh my.... a totally cool trivia question, but also one that is going to require more math-work than I can do at this hour

I did find a 7-legger with the same flight # the other day, but can't recall the number at the moment. Certainly a run-around-the-midwest or up-and-down-the-coast (either) will look impressive on paper, but might not rack the miles that a back-and-forth 2 or 3 times might....
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
I used to take ISP-MCO-MSY-DAL about once a month. About 8 hours in a cigar tube.

With the flights from ISP dropping to just a few, I am not sure that routing even exists anymore.

Of course, that won't even equal DAL-HNL.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Texas Booster
I used to take ISP-MCO-MSY-DAL about once a month. About 8 hours in a cigar tube.

With the flights from ISP dropping to just a few, I am not sure that routing even exists anymore.
I last did that in 2011. Did SJC-LAS-TPA-ISP in 2013, I think that clocked in at 10 hours. Have done many stupider routings after decimating ISP in 2011.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT

Southwest had a pretty cool article last year about their flight numbering scheme, and according to the article, eight is the max number of legs a flight number (plane?) can have.

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/the-sci...light-numbers/
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Ok, 8 legs. But you have to buy mult-city tickets, yes? So seperate boarding passes? So they make you get off the plane? Did you guys have to get off fot the ISP trips?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I believe WN only allows 2 stops on the same reservation number. So, on a direct (not a non-stop) flight, something like ISP-BWI-OAK-SEA would be possible on the same ticket.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:32 pm

Ok, 8 legs. But you have to buy mult-city tickets, yes? So seperate boarding passes? So they make you get off the plane? Did you guys have to get off fot the ISP trips?
Per the blog article, you would see that you could only purchase itineraries of 3 cities at a time. You would board at City A, then stay on the plane at City B, but then have to deboard at City C.

Now, could you stay on the plane at City C, City D, etc? Maybe. I'm not sure how they do their pax counts at cities that are thru cities for the flight number.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
No, never got off the plane, 3 legs, one boarding pass.

When I did SJC-LAS-TPA-ISP (3 of us on points), it was much cheaper pointwise to book the TPA-ISP separately so I did end up with 2 BPs. But we stayed on and explained after their thru count was off, showed some ID and all was good.

Last edited by joshua362; Jun 15, 2017 at 10:41 am
Old Apr 2, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
In about 2008 I did a TPA-SAT-PHX-SMF direct. Left about 7:30pm ET and arrived about midnight PT.

Still remember the FA before we left TPA: "And if you're going all the way to Sacramento... I'm sorry."
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Lost
In about 2008 I did a TPA-SAT-PHX-SMF direct. Left about 7:30pm ET and arrived about midnight PT.

Still remember the FA before we left TPA: "And if you're going all the way to Sacramento... I'm sorry."
Whoa, never mind. Apparently with the new addition of LGB, it is now possible to do a three-stop direct on Southwest. Who wants to book it?

Flight Details (3 stops, no plane change)

#2728 Operated by Southwest
Depart Long Beach, CA (LGB) 10:30AM

Stops:
Oakland, CA Seattle, WA Las Vegas, NV

Arrive in Columbus, OH (CMH) 12:55AM
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Whoa, never mind. Apparently with the new addition of LGB, it is now possible to do a three-stop direct on Southwest. Who wants to book it?

Flight Details (3 stops, no plane change)

#2728 Operated by Southwest
Depart Long Beach, CA (LGB) 10:30AM

Stops:
Oakland, CA Seattle, WA Las Vegas, NV

Arrive in Columbus, OH (CMH) 12:55AM
I had to look that up because I thought there was no way even WN would actually sell a route like that. Boy was I wrong. $255 WGA fot the dates I selected.

(Nevermind you could buy LAX-PHX-CMH for $136 on AA with 6:15 travel time, or LAX-CMH nonstop for $154 and 4:15 travel time )

Unrelated: The wonderful WN app crashed twice while I was looking that up.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
3 stops, no plane change
I thought these had gone away but in August flight #1518 pops up from ATL-OAK. Stops in Raleigh, Baltimore, and Houston and gets you to OAK in under 12 hours.

There's a nonstop that leaves 5 hours later and gets in 1.5 hours earlier, but what fun is that?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXpress
I thought these had gone away but in August flight #1518 pops up from ATL-OAK. Stops in Raleigh, Baltimore, and Houston and gets you to OAK in under 12 hours.

There's a nonstop that leaves 5 hours later and gets in 1.5 hours earlier, but what fun is that?
3500 Miles total. Some part of me wants to book it. $233.68
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by steved5480
http://www.swamedia.com/channels/Cor...ate-fact-sheet

The longest daily Southwest flight is between Baltimore-Washington (BWI) and Oakland (OAK) (2,447 miles).

Oh my.... a totally cool trivia question, but also one that is going to require more math-work than I can do at this hour

I did find a 7-legger with the same flight # the other day, but can't recall the number at the moment. Certainly a run-around-the-midwest or up-and-down-the-coast (either) will look impressive on paper, but might not rack the miles that a back-and-forth 2 or 3 times might....
Quoting an old post but I think this is still correct. BWI-OAK is surprisingly still 10 miles longer than BWI-SJC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.