Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easy way to find if wifi available

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Easy way to find if wifi available

I am aware of the url to determine availability with an existing reservation.

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/p...fi-access.html

Today I checked a flight on 4/12 SMF to MCO and it shows NA. So, in order to select a different flight I first had to cancel my companion reservation. Then I changed mine to a later flight. Once that was done, I re-entered the same PRL and even that flight shows NA for both legs of the itinerary. There must be a better way of selecting a flight with WiFi but I haven't found it yet. Would it be that hard to search by flight number on a certain date rather than using confirmation number?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Click on the flight number on the flight selection screen when booking a reservation.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip! I will use that in the future. Strangely, though, when I follow your suggestion it shows wifi available on the booking screen but not available on the link I provided with confirmation number. Must be a glitch.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
I also see a wifi icon when checking in on iPhone app for flights when they will have wifi
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I would not book a flight purely based on it potentially having WIFI. Southwest can and does routinely swap planes at the last minute due to operational needs. There are still quite a few 300/500 series planes in the fleet without.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by aaronp84
I would not book a flight purely based on it potentially having WIFI. Southwest can and does routinely swap planes at the last minute due to operational needs. There are still quite a few 300/500 series planes in the fleet without.
...and the wi-fi is hardly reliably usable when it is there. I would bring several backup forms of entertainment for a flight that long...
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:34 pm

I never even know until I see the plane pull up to the gate and see the antenna on the dorsal section of the aircraft.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Best odds are on a 175 seat 800. Only if WIFI is inop is wifi not available.

143 seat 700s (WIFI) and 300s (no WIFI) are interchangeable on domestic routes, even some longer hauls.

Often the final aircraft isn't known until the day prior and even then it can change during the day of. Downgrades to 137 seat 300s (no winglets/no WIFI) happen occasionally as do albeit much rarer downgrades to 122 seat 500s.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by carraher
Thanks for the tip! I will use that in the future. Strangely, though, when I follow your suggestion it shows wifi available on the booking screen but not available on the link I provided with confirmation number. Must be a glitch.
From that link:

"To find out if your flight has WiFi, visit our "WiFi Finder" within 24 hours of departure and simply enter your confirmation number, first and last name."

No real glitch... Aircraft routing isn't set until the day prior and even then can change.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by traveller001
Best odds are on a 175 seat 800. Only if WIFI is inop is wifi not available.

143 seat 700s (WIFI) and 300s (no WIFI) are interchangeable on domestic routes, even some longer hauls.

Often the final aircraft isn't known until the day prior and even then it can change during the day of. Downgrades to 137 seat 300s (no winglets/no WIFI) happen occasionally as do albeit much rarer downgrades to 122 seat 500s.
yeah I have noticed that the 500's are staring to stay closer to home plate. I keep riding on N520SW a lot, I am mentioning this because as it gets closer to the end of this year they are supposed to retire the 500's so encountering them will be less and less frequent.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
flew on a non wifi aircraft yesterday, DAL - DEN, missed using flight tracker
luckily they made an annoucement so had time to download some podcast

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.