Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early Bird charge - $15?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by flyerchuk
In my non-scientific experience, MCO has tons of EBCI. Many families that are worried about being separated.
But apparently not worried enough, because they'd book another airline with assigned seating.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I don't buy EBCI so this doesn't affect me but if you're traveling with multiple people, one person can buy EBCI and then get these laminated cards from the gate agent. You can get up to 5 I think.

Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:58 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by justhere
I don't buy EBCI so this doesn't affect me but if you're traveling with multiple people, one person can buy EBCI and then get these laminated cards from the gate agent. You can get up to 5 I think.
I call Poe's Law on that.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

My prediction:

At first it will decrease the number of EBCIs sold, bettering the purchasers' positions on average. Over time the number sold will creep up again, and we'll be back to the starting point. At which case another fee increase will be instituted. This will continue until equilibrium is reached, or -- more likely -- Southwest significantly revises it's boarding system.

Also, over time, each fee increase raises the numbers of pax abusing pre-boarding and saving seats.

Eventually, Southwest will need to create a new boarding system in order to maintain the revenue stream EBCI and upgraded boarding produce.

Last edited by ursine1; Feb 29, 2016 at 8:58 pm
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
Now that I think about it, EBCI will be significantly better than T-24 if your originating flight has a lot of people connecting from earlier flight. Your EBCI will beat all their T-24 check-ins.
Yes, but remember that you will also be competing with those who bought EBCI for their connecting flight.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Well, if it causes enough people *not* to purchase EBCI, it will give those that do buy it better positions and causing fewer EBCIs to fall into B seating territory.
I think that part of the reason for the price increase is to limit the number of purchasers. The number of purchasers has been rising. That alone will decrease the apparent value of EBCI. Charging more will deter some some purchasers.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
But apparently not worried enough, because they'd book another airline with assigned seating.
Clearly you haven't flown with a family on another airline with assigned seating. Difficult for a family to sit together with paid seating, nearly impossible going with the luck of the draw.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I think that part of the reason for the price increase is to limit the number of purchasers. The number of purchasers has been rising. That alone will decrease the apparent value of EBCI. Charging more will deter some some purchasers.
^
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:05 pm

I don't think there is any problem filling almost all seats out of MCO so WN can't be too worried
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
You'd think WN would do some kind of dynamic pricing on EBCI. It's almost like setting every single flight in the system at 15,000 points to redeem an award, which of course they don't do.

If ex-MCO is in heavy demand for EBCI, make it $40 or $50 each way. If ABQ is in low demand, make it $5.

Sounds like a continuing case of WN IT stuck in the 90s.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:17 pm

The best reason for Early Bird Check in is when you KNOW you are not going to be able to be online at T-24.

Disneyland, hiking and no cell signal, on a WN flight, its to damn early in the morning are all reasons that I have used EBCI. Otherwise, its t-24 for me.

The other thing that amuses me to no end, I mean, I get it if you are a picky snot, but we, as a couple, boarded once at like B-59 and B-60 and were able to get seats next to each other. Unless you check in at the airport 45 min before the flight, your are going to get a seat, and not be stuck in the middle.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
You'd think WN would do some kind of dynamic pricing on EBCI. It's almost like setting every single flight in the system at 15,000 points to redeem an award, which of course they don't do.

If ex-MCO is in heavy demand for EBCI, make it $40 or $50 each way. If ABQ is in low demand, make it $5.

Sounds like a continuing case of WN IT stuck in the 90s.
Totally not the same thing. WN IT stuck in the 90's just because they don't do dynamic EBCI pricing? Then how do they manage to do it for general ticketing of their flights?

One of the main purposes of EBCI is so you don't have to be at a computer, and you get your place in line before those that are checking in online manually.

Low EBCI demand will probably always occur closer to when tickets for such flights go on sale. High EBCI will occur closer to the flight.

Why would Southwest risk losing EBCI sales closer to the flight? If you were to tell me EBCI a week away from my flight was $40, I wouldn't do it. Plus, knowing that EBCI is $40 would just tell me to definitely wait and find a way to check in 24 hours in advance. If it was $15, I would be more inclined to book it.

It's not that EBCI systems can't handle it. It's because it's not a great idea to begin with.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
WN IT is horrible in general, as has been documented repeatedly here for years.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Also, if EBCI is $40+, why the heck wouldn't you just upgrade to "BS" position at the gate?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:39 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Also, if EBCI is $40+, why the heck wouldn't you just upgrade to "BS" position at the gate?
Because if EBCI is increased to $40, the gate "upgrades" will increase to $60.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.