Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First 737 MAX route

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:50 am
Original Poster

First 737 MAX route

Thought this would be a fun thread, even though we are a long ways out from the first scheduled MAX 8 service for SWA. What's everyone's thoughts on the MAX's first scheduled route for SWA? Part of me thinks they may stretch it's legs on say LAX/SAN-BWI but I could also see DAL getting it first for obvious reasons
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Is the MAX enough of a "new" design that they might keep it isolated to certain stations for training and familiarization for a few weeks or will it go straight into the full system on day 1?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
LAX<->DAL<->BWI They'd want their new toy passing through home base.

OR- Orlando MCO at one end.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by Wingrider
LAX<->DAL<->BWI They'd want their new toy passing through home base.
I agree that the new toy will pass through the home base, but I suspect that they will take full advantage of the fuel economy and fly it to stations with the most expensive fuel costs.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
First 737 MAX route

Real question is when they get unleashed to the islands
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: Hilton (D)
Would the MAX yield equal fuel savings on a hop/skip/jump transcon versus a long N/S, say BWI>SAN ? Is the savings differential from older models more at cruise, takeoff, or both ?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by etna
Would the MAX yield equal fuel savings on a hop/skip/jump transcon versus a long N/S, say BWI>SAN ? Is the savings differential from older models more at cruise, takeoff, or both ?
I'm sure Boeing and WN have run the numbers, but you'll get savings in both takeoff and cruise due to the more efficient wings, winglets, higher and more flush engine mounts, and lighter and more fuel efficient wings (they are using composite fan blades for the fan up front in the CFM LEAP engines).

That said, takeoff is by far the most fuel burning phase of flight on a per-minute basis. My guess would be that between an 800-NG vs. an 800-MAX you'd come out ahead if you put the MAX on the short-haul routes.

Of course, takeoff/landing cycles come into play as well. With a lighter body and new composite materials, the MAX might do better when it comes to the repeated stresses of landings and pressurization cycles.

This is all just speculation, of course.

Perhaps OPNLguy can chime in if he has any info thus far.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by texashoser
Perhaps OPNLguy can chime in if he has any info thus far.
He will tell us when. If they received the first 737-8MAX delivery in between 2nd or 3rd quarter 2017. It will happens.

Just be patient. Give it a chance. Right now, the entire 737-8MAX is taking the flight tests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.