Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Damages For Delayed Luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:39 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Further update: The bag finally arrived on the night of the 23rd, and I plan to submit my claim to Southwest when our trip is finished, early in January. Total costs for the six days worked out to nearly $600.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Hoc
Further update: The bag finally arrived on the night of the 23rd, and I plan to submit my claim to Southwest when our trip is finished, early in January. Total costs for the six days worked out to nearly $600.
Glad it finally caught up to you!

Please let us know the outcome of your claim.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:58 pm

Maybe don't play hardball from the start, but if they aren't in the mood to compensate, I have read many blogs (such as this: http://www.camelsandchocolate.com/20...-your-luggage/) etc where airlines would compensate after a DOT complaint was filed so I think that would be your next step if you don't get anything in the first round.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I'm going to go against the prevailing mood in the thread and guess that Southwest will probably give reasonable compensation to the OP. Whether it is $600 or something less, I'm not sure.

In this case, there were two delays-- the bag wasn't delivered with the flight and the carrier that Southwest chose to deliver the bag mishandled it, causing a further delay. OP should write to customer relations right away, providing facts only (evidence that the bag was lost, evidence that the bag was delayed by FedEx, copies of receipts for purchases) and requesting compensation.

I have not had personal experience making a claim for lost baggage on Southwest (thankfully), but I have been pleasantly surprised by their customer relations department. I wrote in earlier this year complaining about several medium-sized delays in a row on the same route, and a week later I got a phone call from Texas. The man on the phone discussed the problems I had and offered me a very reasonable voucher. This was unexpected as I had not incurred any direct costs (although I had been delayed getting to work, which is costly in itself) and Southwest certainly did not owe me anything according to the CoC.

So, I would not be as pessimistic as the other posters.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:41 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jeeden
Maybe don't play hardball from the start, but if they aren't in the mood to compensate, I have read many blogs (such as this: http://www.camelsandchocolate.com/20...-your-luggage/) etc where airlines would compensate after a DOT complaint was filed so I think that would be your next step if you don't get anything in the first round.
Thanks. I never play hardball from the start, but I do like to know my rights and the most likely outcome at the outset. Thanks for the link. I was thinking that the FAA was the appropriate regulatory agency, but now I know that the DOT is the one to contact in case of difficulties.

I once had a problem with AT&T overcharging me for cable service, refusing to comply with its obligations or the terms of the contract, and when I finally contacted the PUC after 3 months, they went ahead and complied almost immediately. So, regulatory agencies, while a last resort, are often helpful.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:19 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Just to put a bow on this, I got paid in full. No communications or questions, just a check. I guess that, when you document it properly, reimbursement isn't an issue.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:45 am
Hoc
Original Poster

And now, today, I got a letter apologizing for the mishandling of luggage and telling me that my claim has been allowed in full, and that a check will be arriving.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:17 am

That's an awesome outcome! Obviously, you can't really price the aggravation and time you went thru to get this sorted out, but at least they sped up the check to you!

And yes, the speculation can run rapid. It's almost impossible to get back to the original question (which was who has actually experienced this issue) because everyone's thrown off track by everyone else's opinions.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Thanks for coming back to this thread and giving ACTUAL information.
I hope you are satisfied w/ WN's compensation.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Congratulations!
I'm assuming you sent them a politely worded letter with the facts of the weather, delay and further delay, plus receipts. Personally, I believe $450 for 6 days is not bad at all if all you had were basically the clothes on your bad and your meds and medical equipment. Thanks for the update!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:59 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Insulator-King
Thanks for coming back to this thread and giving ACTUAL information.
I hope you are satisfied w/ WN's compensation.
I am very satisfied. What more can you ask than being compensated in full within less than 30 days after the claim was submitted?

I fly enough that my luggage gets delayed or lost occasionally. I never get upset about that. It happens. All you can really ask is that the airline makes it right within a reasonable time when it does happen, and Southwest did that here. So now, in the future, if anyone asks for someone with experience with delayed luggage on Southwest, I can chime in.

I have now had experience with delayed luggage on American, British Airways and Southwest, and all have been good with reimbursement for essentials. Once there was a problem with American in Belgium, when they authorized a maximum of $250 for a three-day luggage delay. But, in that instance, I had purchased travel insurance that covered the balance. And once, when my British Air flight through Vancouver on my way home was delayed, causing me to miss my flight home, British Air put me up in a hotel and gave me a prepaid $100 Amex card, which did not cover the clothing and meal purchases for my wife and me. But again, I had travel insurance that covered the balance.

Algebralovr -- Yes, I sent a polite, factual letter and enclosed all receipts, mentioned the weather, explained the situation, and enclosed the tracking info from Fed Ex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.