Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Are WN fares higher than other airlines' in my markets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are WN fares higher than other airlines' in my markets?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
I guess I should not complain. I just found a 59 fare MDW to TPA in January that I booked for a quick weekend. The return was 109. that was hard to beat
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
A week ago Friday, I purchased a walk-up fare MCO-MDW $109 all-in.

Last month, I bought two under one-week out, $154 RNO-DAL and $143 DAL-PBI.

Southwest is not always the cheapest, but you'll never see an obscene price on SWA.

Remember, you can bank their credits (no change fees) and no bag fees.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
Southwest is not always the cheapest, but you'll never see an obscene price on SWA.
Ever see their prices for Super Bowl week or around Thanksgiving? I tend to agree that you can usually find reasonable fares if you can catch a good sale but I would no longer go as far as to say that you'll never see an extortionate fare on SWA.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
I'm flying on a Thursday mid-January LGA-MDW-SNA. Total cost was $333 one way. I could have flown to LAX on Southwest or another airline for half the price. But I had a credit from a botched flight earlier this year and would rather use it than lose it. My trip is time sensitive so SNA is closer to my destination.

SWA is not the most convenient from NY but I do use them as a backup to JetBlue when it's a non-B6 destination or if the flight times work better. Fares have been hit or miss for me this year.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Bottom line, some years ago, maybe coincidental with the expiration of fuel hedges or Gary taking over or whatever, WN stopped being a fair, cost / distance based fare airline (the $299 caps) and joined the legacies into a gouge, whatever the market will bear, airline...
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:05 pm

On most flights that I actually end up flying, I generally end up paying a small premium to fly WN. However, WN has saved me thousands (literally) in the form of the no-change-fee policy.

Overall, I guess for me WN is still net-positive. But it's not a slam-dunk anymore. I often see legacy carriers significantly undercutting WN on many routes that I fly.... just with that "little" $200-300 change fee lurking in the background.

The mandatory games that you are forced to play with PNR spreadsheets, fake bookings to roll up small PNRs, etc., are a royal PITA though, makes me wonder if it's really worth it.

PS: joshua362, nice flashback with the $299 caps... ah, the old WN...
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Ceres
First let me qualify this as I am a fan of southwest. I fly them 90% of the time. Partially since I am close to MDW.

But they are getting really expensive lately? Or is it just my imagination. I have an RT to FLL over new years and it was almost 800, I booked it three or four weeks ago.

I am looking at MDW to RSW and the cheapest non stop I can find is over 650. On ITA i find a bunch of legacy carriers for $420. Hell, I can get first class on united for 720.

Is it me and where I am looking to go, or is anyone else seeing this?

Just currious
They are not higher.

Thee fares may be a little higher but remember they dont charge for checked bags.they may have a slightly higher airfare than before.

Their pricing structure is different. Because bags are free most occasional travelers usually fly with them because bags are free and they know they have a good shot of being able to sit as a family in one area.

As a result most of their travelers book earlier. flying over the holidays you need to book far earlier---like when the booking opens over the holidays.

These travelers may travel only over xmas so they book their flights in July-early September.

Southwest pricing structure also sees them (and they have always done this) raising the fares a lot if you are under 2 weeks of travel dates.

For last second travel, southwest isnt the best option to choose from.

With holidays southwest knows many travel so they do tend to keep the fares higher and see if people purchase. Only if sales are moving for flights do they lower the fares.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

Their recent fare sale is one of the better ones I can remember. WN rarely offers $49 fares from PDX-OAK/SJC/SMF and $69 fares from PDX-LAX/SNA.

While not universal, It is my experience that the legacies have fares that are equal to or lower than WN. Almost never the other way.
WN is the driver of air fares....when they have a sale ...the other carriers usually match it.

The time I will see other carriers cheaper than WN will be when you book under 2 weeks or traveleng over the holidays and you didnt book early for it.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:34 am

Hi -

Actually, AS had $49 fares PDX-SFO/OAK/SJC on their Cyber Monday sale .. and some $99 midcon/transcon fares. I haven't seen a $99 transcon on WN in like .. forever.

The fact that WN felt it was needed to have a PDX and SEA fare sale to various destinations suggests that sales were a little slow.

And for those that can make MVPG, you don't have to deal with change fees. And you can SDC to a different flight without having to buy up to a YL fare.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
Never use the word "never."
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by djp98374
WN is the driver of air fares....when they have a sale ...the other carriers usually match it.

The time I will see other carriers cheaper than WN will be when you book under 2 weeks or traveleng over the holidays and you didnt book early for it.
I disagree. WN almost never rocks the boat anymore. Look at what happened in Atlanta; average fares have drifted much higher since WN took out Airtran.

I would actually say WN has become DL's best friend in ATL.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
I disagree. WN almost never rocks the boat anymore. Look at what happened in Atlanta; average fares have drifted much higher since WN took out Airtran.

I would actually say WN has become DL's best friend in ATL.
As an ATL based flyer, WN buy out of FL sucks.

As a DL stockholder, it is very, very good.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Southwest is almost always the most expensive choice for me. It makes sense: in 2015, they are the premium major domestic airline. As the premium product, they can charge more. Their planes are full.

When I fly them, it's because they deliver FAR more value than their competition. Nonstop flights, better airports, larger planes, customer service that is less-bad than the legacies, better frequencies, etc.

On the occasions they don't offer unique value (say, an unusual route where everybody has a roughly equal 1-stop), I just take the cheap ticket on AA.
(Bolding mine)

Thanks for the Sunday-afternoon chuckle. One experience with WN's Devolve seating was quite enough for me. I'm 10X more comfortable on the A side of an ERJ-145. See, bigger planes <> more comfortable planes.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
To the places I fly to most often, WN is usually the cheapest and/or offers the most flexibility of travel times. I check the prices daily. MDW-SJC? Usually the airline with the closest price to WN is Alaska Airlines, but to do that I'd have to change planes in Seattle (someday I'll give them a try just for fun). But that would require flying out of O'Hare.... No thanks.

Obviously, some markets are different. I looked at MDW-MSP recently and was not impressed. Same with MDW-MCO. Your mileage may vary.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
To the places I fly to most often, WN is usually the cheapest and/or offers the most flexibility of travel times.
Same here. For the trips I take, at least half the time WN has the best fares when I buy. Most of the rest of the time, they are close, and occasionally they are a lot more. So I do the same thing I've been doing for the past 25 years, I shop and compare prices before buying, but for the past few years that's resulting in over half my flying being on WN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.