Search

Flying with a trombone

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Location: Inland Empire, semi-regularly going between LAX/ONT/SNA and IND/STL
Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Flying with a trombone

So for the first time, I'm going to be needing to fly somewhere along with my trombone. It'll be too big to fit in the carry-on bin, so my options are check it or buy a seat; from horror stories I've heard from friends, I'm leaning towards buying a seat.

Southwest requires that an instrument in its own seat be placed in the first row of the airplane farther from the aisle from any other passenger (so, ideally, window seat); does anyone have any experience regarding what I need to do to ensure that an appropriate seat is actually available when I get on to put it in, or do I just have to take my chances and, if nothing's open, gate-check it?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:32 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by BerenErchamion
So for the first time, I'm going to be needing to fly somewhere along with my trombone. It'll be too big to fit in the carry-on bin, so my options are check it or buy a seat; from horror stories I've heard from friends, I'm leaning towards buying a seat.
I wonder if Southwest will let it slide.

If you could be sure the flight would have plenty of empty seats, you would have a chance. This isn't exactly a Customer of Size situation, where you would get a free extra seat. But if you *were* a Customer of Size it might work.
DisneyObsessed likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I might be tempted to pack the trombone in its case inside a cardboard box with lots of packing, say crumpled newspaper, and check it as baggage. Assuming the trombone case is pretty sturdy, I'd think that would minimize any chance it would get damaged.

Otherwise, you could just "Hold that Tiger."

Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:47 pm

Are you sure it won't fit in the carry bin? I've seen several large guitars that appear much longer than any trombone fit into the overheads ... Just fly on one BNA flight Unless your case and/or instrument is much longer than a standard trombone I would think it would fit.

Otherwise, if you are going to but it a seat you will need to check in with the Customer Service Agent to make sure you can have it properly situated.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:03 pm

It's not rusty is it?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by fiuchris
Are you sure it won't fit in the carry bin? I've seen several large guitars that appear much longer than any trombone fit into the overheads ...
The length isn't so much the problem, it's the size of the bell. A carry-on has a height limitation of 10" or it won't fit into the overhead bin.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NextTrip
The length isn't so much the problem, it's the size of the bell.
That's what she said.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
That's what she said.
She was comparing the length of a guitar and the length of a trombone. I'm talking about the diameter of the bell, not the length of the instrument. A trombone bell has a much bigger diameter than the depth of a guitar. If the case is more than 10". there is a good chance it won't even be able to fit into the opening of an overhead bin.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nexttrip
she was comparing the length of a guitar and the length of a trombone. I'm talking about the diameter of the bell, not the length of the instrument. A trombone bell has a much bigger diameter than the depth of a guitar. If the case is more than 10". There is a good chance it won't even be able to fit into the opening of an overhead bin.
whhooooshhhhh
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, AA Plat. Pro
You could always buy a Business Select seat for yourself and a WGA fare for the trombone. That will ensure you board as early as possible.

Checking with the gate agent should help though.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by HansGruber
You could always buy a Business Select seat for yourself and a WGA fare for the trombone. That will ensure you board as early as possible.

Checking with the gate agent should help though.
I thought people with large instruments got to pre-board.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:18 pm

My son flies SWA all the time with his trombone. he has a tenor in a Protec hard case, and it has fit in the overhead every time. I would imagine if you have a bass trombone, or a bulkier case it might be an issue, but the ability for him to carry that on along with an appropriate sized suitcase is one of the major reasons he usually flies SWA. I did not know anything about being able to pre-board, but if that is the case, that is even better, and I will need to let him know!

Last edited by headoflife; Oct 23, 2015 at 1:19 pm Reason: adding info
Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I thought people with large instruments got to pre-board.
Can't. Take. The. Bait.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by BerenErchamion
I'm leaning towards buying a seat.

Buy a seat. It is required to go directly behind a bulkhead if a seat is purchased, so you would be guaranteed a seat in row 1 as well. Peace of mind is worth it!
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:25 pm

If you buy the trombone a seat, does it require the seat belt to be fastened?

Also, for the curious, this is the first link in a search for "Trombone Airplane"
http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/faq...xt/travel.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.