Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pushing Bus select on half full flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Pushing Bus select on half full flight

They kept pushing a $30 upgrade for A1-15 and the plane was no more than 2/3 full max..
That's BS... The person who pays $30 and sees this... has gotta be pi$sed. This is nonsense

Flight 1963 MDW -ICT tonight at 7:40 PM

Yup ... I'd strangle somebody but it wouldn't be another passenger it would be a gate agent
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Ceres
They kept pushing a $30 upgrade for A1-15 and the plane was no more than 2/3 full max..
That's BS... The person who pays $30 and sees this... has gotta be pi$sed. This is nonsense

Flight 1963 MDW -ICT tonight at 7:40 PM

Yup ... I'd strangle somebody but it wouldn't be another passenger it would be a gate agent
Per the OP's thread title, it's most definitely NOT Business Select.

What it is was a $30 lottery ticket to board in A1 - A15, nothing more. As noted, flight might not be full (rare recently, but a Wednesday in October...yes).

History will show I'm not a defender of shoddy (shoddy, not "shady") business practices, but this is America and that's how businesses operate today. Let the <sometimes unfortunate> buyer beware.

Please feel free to stop by & vent anytime...that's what we're here for and it's way cheaper than getting arrested for assault
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Isn't Upgraded Boarding $40?

Maybe someone was happy to take a 25% discount?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:53 pm

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal to you.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:58 pm

Questionable, at best.

Upgraded Boarding is $30 or $40 "depending on itinerary."
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by ursine1
Questionable, at best.

What he said.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by steved5480
Per the OP's thread title, it's most definitely NOT Business Select.

Of course, you are correct..... but my point she kept phrasing it as upgrading to BS boarding. So I stand corrected..

What it is was a $30 lottery ticket to board in A1 - A15, nothing more. As noted, flight might not be full (rare recently, but a Wednesday in October...yes).

But the gate agent Knew the load. Heck there was barely half a B group to board. The last guy on the plane got an aisle seat in like row 9. There were a number of aisle and window seats available.

History will show I'm not a defender of shoddy (shoddy, not "shady") business practices, but this is America and that's how businesses operate today. Let the <sometimes unfortunate> buyer beware.

I have bought up after getting a last minute flight (and crappy C group) but to push it on a empty flight is not right IMO. When I heard the announcement I just assumed it was going to be a full or near full flight. I've taken about 30 WN flights this year, and your right there is rarely more than one or two open seats as a rule....

Please feel free to stop by & vent anytime...that's what we're here for and it's way cheaper than getting arrested for assault
BTW I did recline my seat!!
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
I'm not sure why this is such a big deal to you.
Probably the same reason it was a big deal for you to reply to the post
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by ursine1
Questionable, at best.

Interesting. Wasn't it $40 for all flights when introduced?

I have never had any interest in pursuing UB, so, I also haven't paid attention to its price after it was rolled out.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 7:48 am

Hell, back in May I paid about $300 for VIP tickets for Metallica and did not get closer to the stage. Now that is a rip off.

Maybe $30 is worth it to you to be first time n the plane. Maybe not. We once boarded at lunch me B60 and were able to get seats together on a full flight.

Haters gonna hate.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: LTP, PP
2 years back on a lightly loaded GSP-BWI mid day flight, an over zealous GA was on the mike calling AT fare customers BY NAME to come up and upgrade to BS, in addition to the general spiel for the $40 upgrades. I thought that was over the top odd but chalked it up to southern hospitality in a (beautifully) quiet and friendly airport...
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
In a forum which people obsess endlessly about the best seats on the plane, people are complaining about an airline selling you a chance to sit in the best seats on the plane. Hilarious.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Might be but you could also be missing the point as well. Many people here have earned a priority boarding position through repeated patronage yet anyone can walk up and cut them for a fee...
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by joshua362
Might be but you could also be missing the point as well. Many people here have earned a priority boarding position through repeated patronage yet anyone can walk up and cut them for a fee...
That doesn't seem to be what the OP is talking about though. Besides, all you have earned is A16-30 (which is still pretty good). If you want 1-15 you have to buy it, and I don't think this has changed recently.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
In a forum which people obsess endlessly about the best seats on the plane, people are complaining about an airline selling you a chance to sit in the best seats on the plane. Hilarious.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.