Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air rage incident aboard WN flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
The facts reported so far don't make much sense. How does someone choke the person sitting in the seat in front of them? Even reclined... how would someone have the capability to put their hands around the other person's throat from behind?

Did the male pax do something like grab the female pax's scarf or other clothing, which amounted to "choking?"
Pretty easy: Stand up and put your hands around their neck.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by texashoser
Pretty easy: Stand up and put your hands around their neck.
Unless the female pax is taller than the seat back, or the male pax leaves his seat and comes around to the side, that's somewhat difficult.

On a crowded plane, this just seems awkward.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:38 pm
Suspended

This is what happens when you get stuck in "C" group. By the time you get on the plane, have no overhead space, go to and fro up and down to try and find a sliver of personal space, then probably get stuck in the middle....well, I could go on and on. If Southworst continues to make the seating any tighter, maybe we will see more "air rage" incidents.

Make the people happy again. Can 'ya bring back Airtran biz class? I'd like at least 4 of these seats in the front of every WN plane, like Spirited.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I wouldn't be surprised if the number of incidents on Southwest per hours flown is no higher than other carriers, but there's just a bias in national reporting of WN passenger violence issues, kind of like how every United flight these days that strands passengers at a remote Canadian air base will at least make cable news.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It's been a while since I flew WN, but even then, I don't recall being able to recline the seats very much. The days are long gone (on US carriers, anyway) where coach seats recline so far you are looking down at the top of someone's head.

Very odd story.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I think we're not getting the full story here.

The video linked in post 8 shows a clearly hysterical woman who is sobbing about having to stay on the plane all night. It also says the man was calm throughout, did not need to be restrained, and was not taken into custody upon landing. Finally, it shows the flight attendants saying that they saw nothing inappropriate.

As others have pointed out, it's difficult/impossible for someone to be strangled by the passenger seated behind them, especially without anyone noticing.

So we have a hysterical woman, accusing a calm man of carrying out an almost impossible action and no evidence that anyone saw it. I wouldn't necessarily take her story at face value.

Last edited by Mountain Explorer; Oct 19, 2015 at 5:58 pm
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:58 pm

Unless the female pax is taller than the seat back, or the male pax leaves his seat and comes around to the side, that's somewhat difficult.

On a crowded plane, this just seems awkward.
To me it seems rather easy to do regardless of the circumstances. Not saying that's what happened in reality, though.

Last edited by texashoser; Oct 19, 2015 at 6:05 pm
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
I think we're not getting the full story here.

The video linked in post 8 shows a clearly hysterical woman who is sobbing about having to stay on the plane all night. It also says the man was calm throughout, did not need to be restrained, and was not taken into custody upon landing. Finally, it shows the flight attendants saying that they saw nothing inappropriate.

As others have pointed out, it's difficult/impossible for someone to be strangled by the passenger seated behind them, especially without anyone noticing.

So we have a hysterical woman, accusing a calm man of carrying out an almost impossible action and no evidence that anyone saw it. I wouldn't necessarily take her story at face value.
I would clarify your comments that it would be quite easy for the man to choke the woman in front of her, but people would certainly notice it - that's a certainty. That no one noticed it indicates the choking incident never happened.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by texashoser
To me it seems rather easy to do regardless of the circumstances. Not saying that's what happened in reality, though.
Then we disagree.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:35 pm

Then we disagree.
What's so hard about standing up, reaching over the seat in front of you, putting your hands around someone's neck, and pulling up and backwards? The taller the person in the seat in front, the easier.

But other passengers would be certain to notice it.

Next time you fly, let me know, and I'll demonstrate on you. I'll promise to let go once you agree with me. ;-) Seriously, just kidding.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
This is what happens when you get stuck in "C" group. By the time you get on the plane, have no overhead space, go to and fro up and down to try and find a sliver of personal space, then probably get stuck in the middle....well, I could go on and on. If Southworst continues to make the seating any tighter, maybe we will see more "air rage" incidents.

Make the people happy again. Can 'ya bring back Airtran biz class? I'd like at least 4 of these seats in the front of every WN plane, like Spirited.
Agree. This is clearly Southwest's fault.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
Agree. This is clearly Southwest's fault.
Disagree. Airlines have not aggravated the problem with the persistent reduction in personal space onboard the aircraft.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:22 pm

I flew today. I stand by my opinion. On a full plane, its just difficult to get into the position necessary to physically choke the person sitting in the seat in front of you.

You're entitled to your opinion. We just disagree.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Whom did the police attempt to murder?
LOL
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:56 pm

She should have sat in the "no choking" section...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.