Community
Wiki Posts
Search

vouchers for delayed flights?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

vouchers for delayed flights?

Hello. Don't really know how to ask this question but here it goes.

Has anyone gotten any compensation (flight vouchers etc.) from an airline for a delayed flight that caused a missed connecting flight?

Background- my daughter is coming to visit from the east coast, initial flight was delayed several times - took of, landed back, couple hours wait on the tarmack -- which caused her to miss her connecting flight in Minneapolis. Now she's stuck at the airport overnight for 12 hours till the next flight tomorrow morning.

has anyone been in a similar situation and been compensated in one way or another by an airline?- would love to hear your story.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 2:20 am

Programs: HH Silver
One important detail you left out, is WHY was it delayed. Weather? Mechanical?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tatterdema
One important detail you left out, is WHY was it delayed. Weather? Mechanical?
mechanical
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: none
Depends on why there was a delay, route, time, availability of alternate connections, status, etc. Also, compensation may depend on how hard you press the issue and with whom.

Keep receipts for accommodations, meals, any necessary extra expenses for possible reimbursement.

If you can't do much about the delay while it's happening, then deal with the aftermath as soon as the trip is over.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WN is not known for being generous with hotel & meal vouchers but should, in this instance issue one to your daughter. Depending on the airport, many airport properties have distressed traveler rates which are pretty rock bottom.

If WN lives up to its reputation of not supplying a voucher, she should submit her hotel receipt and receipts for food (keep it reasonable) and submit them to WN for reimbursement. If WN denies the claim, submit a complaint to DOT.

While it was only $12.50, I recently flew a segment where I had paid for Early Bird, but found all of the seats I wanted poached by others "saving" seats for later boarders. When the FA would not act (WN tells them not to), I filed a complaint with WN, requesting a refund of the $12.50 based on WN's policy of marketing early boarding and not assigning seats, coupled with the FA's not enforcing. I advised that I would file with DOT in 7 days barring a positive response.

I received an email advising that a $12.50 credit had been issued and it showed as pending the next day on my CC.

The key is to keep it short and sweet. The only thing that matters for OP's daughter is that she was on a flight which delayed due to MX, that caused a misconnect and an overnight.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
I have received luv vouchers for significant mx delays on WN on numerous occasions in the past. The last time this happened to me they offered a smaller amount to the passengers flying to the delayed flight's destination and a larger amount for anyone connecting onward beyond that. The vouchers were distributed at the gate during the delay. Probably varies by station on how this is handled.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by chuckworth
I have received luv vouchers for significant mx delays on WN on numerous occasions in the past. The last time this happened to me they offered a smaller amount to the passengers flying to the delayed flight's destination and a larger amount for anyone connecting onward beyond that. The vouchers were distributed at the gate during the delay. Probably varies by station on how this is handled.
The point is that WN has caused a delay for reasons within its control and should be providing a voucher for a hotel room and relevant meals. WN Funny Money is a nice touch for inconvenience. But, this is cold hard cash lost.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Check with the credit card company used to purchase the ticket. Most premium cards include travel disruption.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by jc92869
Hello. Don't really know how to ask this question but here it goes.

Has anyone gotten any compensation (flight vouchers etc.) from an airline for a delayed flight that caused a missed connecting flight?

Background- my daughter is coming to visit from the east coast, initial flight was delayed several times - took of, landed back, couple hours wait on the tarmack -- which caused her to miss her connecting flight in Minneapolis. Now she's stuck at the airport overnight for 12 hours till the next flight tomorrow morning.

has anyone been in a similar situation and been compensated in one way or another by an airline?- would love to hear your story.
Was this a Southwest Airlines flight? Did they offer her anything (room, meals vouchers, etc.)?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 10:22 am

They should issue something. We had a flight about a month ago that was delayed. (Don't remember if it was 3 or 4 hours.) But the gate agent issued $100 vouchers for everyone on the flight and handed them out. So for 12+ hours they should do something more then that I would think.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Yes, but you will receive it later.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I resurrected this thread as it seemed the most relevant vs a new post.

I was recently on a delayed flight (mechanical but called "paperwork) and both myself and my CP received unsolicited emails apologizing for the delay saying that a voucher email(s) is/are coming within 10 days.

This is a first for me, but then a first also for me to have such a long delay stuck on the plane at the gate 2+ hours. I took screen shots of the delay status in the SWA app and was going to snail mail them just to see what would happen- then these arrived this morning.

I'm conflicted because having CP and regularly points in the high 8 figures I don't know what to do with our vouchers unless they are transferrable.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Wingrider
I resurrected this thread as it seemed the most relevant vs a new post.

I was recently on a delayed flight (mechanical but called "paperwork) and both myself and my CP received unsolicited emails apologizing for the delay saying that a voucher email(s) is/are coming within 10 days.

This is a first for me, but then a first also for me to have such a long delay stuck on the plane at the gate 2+ hours. I took screen shots of the delay status in the SWA app and was going to snail mail them just to see what would happen- then these arrived this morning.

I'm conflicted because having CP and regularly points in the high 8 figures I don't know what to do with our vouchers unless they are transferrable.
Holy god, high eight figures in points... fortunately, vouchers aren't locked to your name, they're fully transferable.

I gotta know, how? Why? I'm just totally awestruck.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
From my experience, front line WN employees (gate and phone agents) tend to be very strict in such matters, try to avoid offering ANY type of compensation. When I believe it is justified, I simply escalate the situation to WN CS, typically receive some type of compensation.

Even as an A-lister, I avoid the last flight of the day, anything more than 1.5 hour flights on WN, as the lack of interline agreements almost guarantees getting stuck during IRROPS.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by synergistic
Holy god, high eight figures in points... fortunately, vouchers aren't locked to your name, they're fully transferable.

I gotta know, how? Why? I'm just totally awestruck.
Whups... lol. Typo. 800k+ on points not 8 figures. lifetime about 3M.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.