Wiki Posts
Search

Hidden City

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: SW RR
Hidden City

I did the hidden city trick on a trip back in March. It was with points. And I saved over 4,000 pts.

1) Just confirming this is still allowed and nothing has changed.

2) My buddy wants to do it, but he will be paying for his ticket. Only downfall for him is the loss of points posting to his account correct?

3) Currently the fare difference is only $5 - $195 (earn 1,010 pts) vs $190 (earn 934pts). Not worth it for my friend since the value of the points he will earn is more than the savings in cash. I am using the 1/70 as the factor in calculating the valuation for points. Am I correct in my reasoning.

4) I booked with points and I've been checking everyday to see if my fare has gone down. But I only check the real flight and not all the hidden city possibilities. If you were able to save 70 points would you still rebook using hidden city? I guess what I am asking is what is the minimum savings in points you would rebook using hidden city.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by vegaslover8
I did the hidden city trick on a trip back in March. It was with points. And I saved over 4,000 pts.

1) Just confirming this is still allowed and nothing has changed.

2) My buddy wants to do it, but he will be paying for his ticket. Only downfall for him is the loss of points posting to his account correct?

3) Currently the fare difference is only $5 - $195 (earn 1,010 pts) vs $190 (earn 934pts). Not worth it for my friend since the value of the points he will earn is more than the savings in cash. I am using the 1/70 as the factor in calculating the valuation for points. Am I correct in my reasoning.

4) I booked with points and I've been checking everyday to see if my fare has gone down. But I only check the real flight and not all the hidden city possibilities. If you were able to save 70 points would you still rebook using hidden city? I guess what I am asking is what is the minimum savings in points you would rebook using hidden city.
1) Nothing has changed.
2) Yes, no points for the flight (or segment credit for status, if he cares)
3) You're correct in your reasoning.
4) Certainly more than 70 points. I'd start considering it around 500 points, I think. Maybe fewer.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WN's COC do not prohibit hidden city ticketing. It really is not any more complex than that.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:29 pm

Anyone know of a hidden city ticket to OKC? I'd be grateful,for the help
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
Originally Posted by Steelcurtain
You used to be able to find some to DAL but since the changes to the Wright agreement not a lot a opportunities for that.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:03 am

From where?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by NextTrip
From where?
Tampa preferably or Orlando. Thank you in advance. I have never been able to figure this out.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by nissan720
You used to be able to find some to DAL but since the changes to the Wright agreement not a lot a opportunities for that.
Hmmm? Everything seems to go through somewhere else and ends in OKC? Simply can't figure this out.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Tampa preferably or Orlando. Thank you in advance. I have never been able to figure this out.
From TPA or MCO, I didn't see any flights to DEN, LAS, or PHX that stopped in OKC.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:01 pm

I don't know when you are talking about traveling. But, since as far as I could see, there aren't even any non-stop flights from either Tampa or Orlando to Oklahoma City. That means for a hidden city flight, it would have to be a 2-stop flight from one of those two originating cities, to an intermediate destination and then on to Oklahoma City and then on to the final destination. Good luck!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:36 pm

Thank you for trying to help! I appreciate it! I've got a son at OU playing D1 for 2 more years.....hopefully something's changes!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:23 pm

You may think about buying two tickets to get to OKC. First one is a one-way hidden city to DAL, HOU, or ATL, and the second one is a one-way ticket from DAL/HOU/ATL to OKC. This *might* save you a few bucks.

Coming back, you have hidden city opportunities to DAL/HOU/ATL, and then from DAL/HOU/ATL to TPA/MCO. There might even be a hidden city itinerary that takes you OKC - DAL/HOU/ATL - TPA/MCO - XXX.

Or you can just fly Allegiant from Orlando Sanford nonstop to OKC, which has flights on Thursday and Sunday starting in Feb 2016.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
If you were able to save 70 points would you still rebook using hidden city?
To save roughly $1, anyone would consider getting on WN's radar?

No way for me.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:12 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
2) My buddy wants to do it, but he will be paying for his ticket. Only downfall for him is the loss of points posting to his account correct?.
IROPs can mess it up... They will try to reroute you to your (booked) final destination and that might mean a direct flight or multiple flights connecting no where near where you wanted to get off.

I suppose there's someone here that has experienced that and can report the outcome.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:13 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
To save roughly $1, anyone would consider getting on WN's radar?
Given the IROPS risk I'd want to be saving at least $100 or the equivalent in points to book hidden city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.