Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Effect Commercial?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
+1 to all of that. I think we generally take our own knowledge/expertise with an airline's FFP into account as well. I'm comfortable calling an AA mile 2 cents because I know where I use them for that valuation. I'm not comfortable calling a DL mile 2 cents because I have no idea where I'd use it and I'd have no elite benefits when I did.

I did just commit the wholly un-FT act of buying a Spirit ticket. MCI-DTW, $210 R/T for nonstop and confirmed BFS seating vs. $280-320 connecting on WN, UA, and DL. Very short trip, one where I can live with their underseat backpack rule...the appeal of the nonstop trumped all else.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Doesn't WN management EVER learn? http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/...tive-ads/nf9hD

WN makes it difficult for consumers to comparison shop http://www.computerworld.com/article...er-orbitz.html subject commercial is an attempt to maintain the former low fare reputation, now more myth than fact, discourage kettles from looking elsewhere.

Why is WN spending marketing $$ to compete with F9 and NK - shouldn't they be focused on the coveted, high margin business traveler?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
While they should be fined for the false advertising (a major pet peeve of mine with *all* airlines ), I actually kind of understand their business strategy for not distributing their fares to (most) third parties.

I don't necessarily *like* it, but I get how they've managed to reach a powerful enough market position where they don't need to use other firms to market their fares to fill planes. That has value, and they're exploiting it. I don't see that as unfair or anticompetitive in and of itself. (I also think Tesla should be allowed to sell cars without middlemen, but I guess that's for OMNI... )
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by diver858
Why is WN spending marketing $$ to compete with F9 and NK - shouldn't they be focused on the coveted, high margin business traveler?
My guess is that they've realized until they can or want to kick it up a notch and offer real business services (seats, frequency, meaningful status), they've already captured as much of the business market that they can easily reach.

In other words, fanboys (like myself in the past), captive markets (myself) and employers that force employees to fly them.

Just my stupid opinion!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I get how they've managed to reach a powerful enough market position where they don't need to use other firms to market their fares to fill planes. That has value, and they're exploiting it.
The last time I checked, there is still SOME competition in the US airline industry. In a dynamic, competitive industry like air travel, resting on your laurels, attempting to milk an antiquated perception are not growth strategies.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
The last time I checked, there is still SOME competition in the US airline industry. In a dynamic, competitive industry like air travel, resting on your laurels, attempting to milk an antiquated perception are not growth strategies.
I think that LUV investors would disagree with you
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:33 pm

The problem with your statement is that the market is not dynamic. The major players have reached consensus on how to make the most money. To be dynamic someone needs to disrupt the consensus.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by pinniped
While they should be fined for the false advertising (a major pet peeve of mine with *all* airlines ), I actually kind of understand their business strategy for not distributing their fares to (most) third parties.

I don't necessarily *like* it, but I get how they've managed to reach a powerful enough market position where they don't need to use other firms to market their fares to fill planes. That has value, and they're exploiting it. I don't see that as unfair or anticompetitive in and of itself. (I also think Tesla should be allowed to sell cars without middlemen, but I guess that's for OMNI... )
A lot of people don't get it-

Common fleet saves money on maintenance and training
Full fleet utilization -maximizes efficiency
AND marketing their own flights saves expenditures on marketing and fees.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Not really, the U.S. market is islands of competition in a sea of non-competitiveness.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The problem with your statement is that the market is not dynamic. The major players have reached consensus on how to make the most money. To be dynamic someone needs to disrupt the consensus.
Marketing campaigns have no effect on customers who are dedicated to one brand, are unable to change for other reasons (limited flight options). It has been shown that travelers shop for the best deal, will often accept a high level of inconvenience to save money - connections, long layovers, etc.

WN is reacting primarily to the disruptive actions of F9 and NK, at the lower end of the market. Both are enjoying continued profitability and growth - despite recording industry leading customer dissatisfaction.

At the other end of the market, it has been widely reported that select fares for the slower fall travel period are dropping, as carriers are FINALLY passing along some of the savings in fuel costs to compete. Carriers looking to use price to increase market share, fill empty planes do not need slick campaigns - simply put out the fares on travel booking sites, where WN has chosen not to participate.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:47 pm

This is all convoluted by the fact that WN is the only carrier left where you can refare an infinite number of times at no cost.

If WN is 20% more expensive than somebody else today, but becomes 20% less expensive next week during a fare sale, I refare and collect the difference. Even if I had booked on the other carrier and they price match WN during their sale, I'm stuck with whatever I paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.