Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended SWA airport for trip to NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I'l be putting my wife on the flight from SJC to LGA as a solo PAX to meet me at the airport when I get to LGA from YYZ. First, she's far from a seasoned traveler so to stick her on a flight without gate changes is good. Next- she's very petite and doesn't seem to find the WN seating as bad as us mere mortals…
Old Jul 24, 2015, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
….To compare, on a Saturday Morning at 0930 AM we took Uber from 57 and Lex to LGA.

Base Fare 3.00
Distance 21.16
Time 7.67
Subtotal $31.83
Robert F Kennedy Bridge(?) 5.54

CHARGED: $37.37

CAR: uberX
miles: 9.84
TRIP TIME: 00:19:10
I was hoping someone would compare this to Uber. I just assumed with the drama I'm reading with them and the NYC Mayor they could be a problem for a reliable way to/from LGA.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by traveller001
One could get pretty hungry not to mention cramped up with a no plane change coast to coast....
After a 5 day excursion for a west coast wedding, the kids & I did a SJC-LAS-TPA-ISP same plane 12 hour marathon. Brought food but it wasn't enough. Thank god for the exit row...
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Wingrider
I was hoping someone would compare this to Uber. I just assumed with the drama I'm reading with them and the NYC Mayor they could be a problem for a reliable way to/from LGA.
Note the difference in times: Dial7 : Rush Hour on a Wednesday. We sat a lot in traffic, not moving. Uber, Sat at 0930 AM. No traffic.

Flat Rate for uber FROM LGA is $65. https://www.uber.com/cities/new-york
So I saved like $20
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:03 am

Assuming you don't have too much luggage, the UberPool option splits the cost with other passengers. In May, we spent $17 from LGA to the Country Inn and Suites in Long Island City. That was at a time of heavy traffic. LIC is only three stops to Manhattan. A benefit is that even with the shared ride, we were the first to be let off since most folks continue on to Manhattan.

Last edited by carraher; Jul 26, 2015 at 9:10 am
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by joshua362
After a 5 day excursion for a west coast wedding, the kids & I did a SJC-LAS-TPA-ISP same plane 12 hour marathon. Brought food but it wasn't enough. Thank god for the exit row...
Custom connection?
AFAIK WN doesn't sell more than two stops. Getting later in the day the odds of stubbing a flight go way up with any delays. Especially when a previously planned RON aircraft has a crew waiting.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by traveller001
Custom connection?
AFAIK WN doesn't sell more than two stops. Getting later in the day the odds of stubbing a flight go way up with any delays. Especially when a previously planned RON aircraft has a crew waiting.
This was 2 stops (in LAS then TPA). Started SJC, ended at ISP. Ironically / coincidentally, it was way cheaper to book SJC-LAS-TPA then TPA-ISP and it caused some minor confusion in TPA since we didn't want to get off the flight with our TPA-ISP boarding passes. The outgoing FA's couldn't have cared less about the count being off by 3 so I sorted it all out with the GA in the jetway.

This was July 2013, pre meltdown, so everything worked like clockwork. A few months later, a totally different story!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:20 am
Original Poster

I don't want her juggling terminals or finding flights west coast to east coast. Not saying she can't but if I can eliminate plane changes, less chances for a blown connection tangling up the works. A plane with no stops will do the trick barring a mechanical.

Last edited by Wingrider; Jul 29, 2015 at 10:06 am
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:16 am

We're headed to NYC in November. Flying into EWR, out of LGA. This may be goofy: It would be slightly cheaper to fly out of EWR as well, but we wanted to check out the Amex cent. lounge (hopefully that doesn't end up being a mistake).
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by trouble747
but we wanted to check out the Amex cent. lounge (hopefully that doesn't end up being a mistake).
Me too. Reviews upon opening seemed good although on the wrong side of security to be super useful.

There is one in the Brooklyn sport arena that my parents have gone to twice for concerts but outside of potentially better seating than what you bought, nothing special or for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.