Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Houston Hobby Rental Cars

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2015, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Houston Hobby Rental Cars

I know that this is not really a "Southwest" topic, but I figure 99% of the people that fly to Hobby are on WN, and so they would have the most experience with Hobby airport.

I am on a WN flight that gets in 2-July at 12:15 AM CDT. Lets assume, just for the diligence that the flight is about 15 min late getting to the gate, and it takes another half hour or so to get off the plane, to the rental car shuttle, etc. So now its 1 AM Central time.

Are the Rental car counters open, staffed, or am I walking into a cluster .... at 1 AM ?

J

Last edited by returnoftheyeti; Jun 6, 2015 at 10:29 am Reason: wrong date...
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:16 am

I fly into hobby, but dont rent much.
It should be open.
For example, budget says they are open 24hrs on Sat and Sun at Hobby.

The best thing to do is ensure your reservation has your flight info. In my experience rental car places will make an employee stay late if a flight is delayed, but only if they have your flight info to know when you will arrive.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
I know that this is not really a "Southwest" topic, but I figure 99% of the people that fly to Hobby are on WN, and so they would have the most experience with Hobby airport.

I am on a WN flight that gets in 2-July at 12:15 AM CDT. Lets assume, just for the diligence that the flight is about 15 min late getting to the gate, and it takes another half hour or so to get off the plane, to the rental car shuttle, etc. So now its 1 AM Central time.

Are the Rental car counters open, staffed, or am I walking into a cluster .... at 1 AM ?

J
The rental car "counters" in the bowels of the baggage claim dungeon @ Hobby are theoretically "open" 24/7, if you consider the sign on the counter telling you to pickup the adjacent phone "open". I have never seen any of these counters staffed with a human.

Hertz' lot is open 5am to 1am weekdays; presumably the shuttle bus runs on somewhat of a similar schedule.

Recommend you research your rental company's site/airport-specific hours and CALL that local office to confirm they'll wait for you, etc.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
+1 on calling that local office. I had to get a taxi once because Alamo was closed. Lesson learned to not book a late flight in when needing to rent a car.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
Depends on who will be renting from.

National shuts down about 1:00 am and doesn't reopen until about 5:30 am. The hours really vary, and I have been stuck overnight in Hobby after storm related delays. National seemed to close early and no one was at the counter or the lot until nearly 6 am.

Problem with calling the local office is getting a phone number that doesn't get forwarded to the rental desk in India.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:15 am

If you're flying into Hobby and open to using National Rental Car, no reason not to sign up for their Emerald Club. Both Houston locations have 'Emerald Club Aisle', so you get the free upgrade and can skip the check-in line.

Not sure if transport runs that late or not, but you would need to make the short trip out to the National lot, directly off site.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, screw it. Stay at the Courtyard for $80, free 24x shuttle, pick up a car in the morning. Thanks for the info.

I am going to need a room that night anyways, might as well stay at "the airport"
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by steved5480
\Recommend you research your rental company's site/airport-specific hours and CALL that local office to confirm they'll wait for you, etc.
+1 the majors are usually pretty good at every airport I've ever flown. Some of the smaller locals can be a slam click at closing time regardless of location. I have no idea why people even use them...
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Yeah, screw it. Stay at the Courtyard for $80, free 24x shuttle, pick up a car in the morning. Thanks for the info.

I am going to need a room that night anyways, might as well stay at "the airport"
Sure beats a redeye rental car drive anyday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.