Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Nationwide sale $49/99/129/149 book by Fri 6/5; Epic website meltdown, mostly fixed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nationwide sale $49/99/129/149 book by Fri 6/5; Epic website meltdown, mostly fixed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ursine1
It's going to be very interesting to see if they extend the sale or not. I want to believe they will -- they should -- but I suspect they won't.
Southwest is set in their ways. OTOH, this situation is almost unprecedented. On the third hand, what's to stop the web traffic jam from continuing and even getting worse if Southwest extends or revives the sale?

Miraculously, I managed to book one reservation re-using funds from three sources. I had multiple errors, backing up and retrying each time. The final confirmation screen never appeared but I received the confirmation email.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ursine1
It's going to be very interesting to see if they extend the sale or not. I want to believe they will -- they should -- but I suspect they won't.
They should probably skip sales for the rest of the year until the website can handle the traffic. There is not even an ETA as to when the website will be functional. Dumping even more traffic to the site will likely just lead to another melt down.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
They should probably skip sales for the rest of the year until the website can handle the traffic. There is not even an ETA as to when the website will be functional. Dumping even more traffic to the site will likely just lead to another melt down.
Their reps are apologizing on Facebook... and including links to the website.

<facepalm>

Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:54 pm

Just completed a new booking. It's very slow, though, and I had to keep going back. It would go all the way to payment page, clicked "continue," but then it would crash.

Total failure trying to book additional flights. I don't know how I ever got that one booking to go through. I can open account and see it there, though, and even received the email confirmation.

Last edited by mke9499; Jun 3, 2015 at 11:37 pm
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:59 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I just realized that Southwest would be crazy to extend the sale. They need to end the outage ASAP so that full fare passengers can book flights for the next day.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I just realized that Southwest would be crazy to extend the sale. They need to end the outage ASAP so that full fare passengers can book flights for the next day.
If they don't extend, they'll face a lot of negative PR, but I doubt they really care much about that. (They're already spinning it as "overwhelming demand", essentially blaming the customer.) They could face DOT fines, but again -- probably not a big deal.

I see your point.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:30 pm

Given SW's lack of investment in IT, it's amazing that Gary Kelly even has a job.

Where is Herb when we need him?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Odd to have such demand. These prices aren't any better than the last few sales.
Some of my routes are much better that anything I've seen since February. The routes they have been targeting are about the same. This sale seems to cover more routes than usual.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jun 4, 2015 at 12:50 am
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:54 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I have decided to have some fun with this by updating the title to include the duration of the outage. Does anyone want to guess what the final number of hours will be?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:01 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Close but no cigar. Got to the last screen 8 times on a points booking but it won't purchase. And it keeps losing my login, which is probably the source of the trouble.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:09 am

Booking on mobile site went through quickly just now.

Mobile site seems to be best option right now, as southwest.com not fully functional, yet.

Last edited by mke9499; Jun 4, 2015 at 12:16 am
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:10 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yes, it's alive. I booked 4 tickets on points at normal speed, although I had to completely restart the 4th one.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:41 am

Sale includes LAX-LAS $39 ow...

some dates including June-August as well...
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I can get to the payment page and when I click "purchase" the dreaded 99999999 message appears. I hope it isn't charging the credit card each time.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:00 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by garygleck
some dates including June-August as well...
I think those $39 fares just went active. I was unable to book it online for 1621 points (it priced as 2273) until the stroke of midnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.