Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Nationwide sale $49/99/129/149 book by Fri 6/5; Epic website meltdown, mostly fixed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nationwide sale $49/99/129/149 book by Fri 6/5; Epic website meltdown, mostly fixed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:17 pm

It looks like @SouthwestAir is trying to help some customers with check in.

Another WN rep replied to a customer, who complained about not being able to check in, that maybe next time they should buy EB.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
Someone wiser than me once posted here, paraphrasing, above all things make sure your website works correctly, as it's the WAY THAT YOUR CUSTOMERS PAY YOU MONEY
Amazon, for example, has won awards for properly designing their web site capacity for peak demand. It was designed fo 100,000+ times normal usage without a hiccup. This only occurs once a year (black friday).

Southwest's website, on the opposite side of things, can barely handle normal demand. Once a sale like this gets out, the site breaks every time as it has for years. unbelievable the $ they are losing each time this happens.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
You would think WN would be more prepared for something like this considering there is no alternate way of purchasing WN tickets...
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
This meltdown story is not about the sale.

It remains about their pitiful IT department.

I've been trying to get on the site for over 10 hours now.

Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
I first noticed the site was down about 1 PM Eastern time. It's now 11:07 PM Eastern - 10 hours when nobody could buy a ticket And a good hunk of that time no check-in and no account access.

At least, they do answer the A list phone number promptly at 11 PM Eastern. How many millions of dollars in revenue has this cost them? How great for employee morale, for customer loyalty, and what great publicity.

Really hard to believe they've done this to themselves, and couldn't get it fixed for 10+ house and counting.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:13 pm

What I don't understand is, the deal isn't THAT great... No one has seen $49 fares before for short haul flights?? Am I missing something here?

It has been down all day for me. Southwest better grant 7 day fares 6 days in advance to make up for this.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:14 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If the meltdown becomes a national news story the crush will only increase. Then Southwest might finally relent and extend or repeat the sale.

The national news angle is that this year's sky-high fares have caused a huge pent-up demand for travel at normal prices. Southwest opened the floodgates with this sale.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:39 pm

Online check in

@SouthwestAir is tweeting customers to do online check in at...

https://www.southwest.com/flight/ret...NewSession=yes

It looks like this may have been set up special.

I don't have any flights tomorrow, so can't test it. If anyone has success using this, while the website is still down, please advise.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
"An error has occurred. Please visit southwest.com or southwest.com booking for more help.
"If this issue persists, please call 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792).
"Reference code: 999999999"

At the very least WN needs to revise this rather stupid error message. Does it not occur to them that the error is coming from southwest.com? Does it not occur to them that the Reference code "999999999" is meaningless? That after 11 hours, "if this error persists," is moot? It's already persisted.

Also, since that phone number won't be answered for hours, maybe they could just post a batch of websites addresses and phone numbers for other airlines, thus at least saving the paying customer the trouble of looking up those address and numbers.

Maybe WN could even get Delta, United, AA, etc to pay WN a small fee for the service.

Still can't book anything at 11:44 PM Eastern time.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Website still down at 9:47 PM MT. I can access the home page but get the maintenance error screen once I try to search.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Website still down at 9:47 PM MT. I can access the home page but get the maintenance error screen once I try to search.
Strange - sitting at my hotel room in Denver and just logged on to check in for my flight tomorrow, no problem at all. Didn't even know anything was up until I logged on to FT after checking in.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:08 pm

Still down for me; 11:04 CDT.

This is a new low point for Southwest's IT. And that's saying a lot.

I can't believe it's just traffic from the sale. People were reporting 1-2 hour hold times at the regular phone number since the weekend -- before the sale started.

Heads should roll.

I suspect they won't.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:10 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I believe this is the most prolonged outage for Southwest since the one-day $25 fare sale on Southwest's 25th anniversary. That was in the early days of the Internet, so of course the website crashed. So people formed huge lines at the airport counters. That's the only fiasco I can recall that was worse than this one.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:11 pm

It's going to be very interesting to see if they extend the sale or not. I want to believe they will -- they should -- but I suspect they won't.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ursine1
It's going to be very interesting to see if they extend the sale or not. I want to believe they will -- they should -- but I suspect they won't.
Southwest has advertised sale fares and FAILED to make them available. If would be interesting if folks make claims with the DOT, who has the ability to then issue sanctions and a fine. This isn't intentional false adveritsing, but it *IS* a situation that was under Southwest's control and could have been predicted. As a result of Southwest failing to account for demand and correct historical system outages has caused their 3 day sale to be a 2 day sale (at most).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.