Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wanna Get Away - Nov 29 (Sunday after Thanksgiving)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive

Anyone find a Wanna Get Away fare for November 29 (i.e. the Sunday after Thanksgiving)?

Couldn't find any and tried a good 10 routes including the one I really want.

In past years I did find some a few days after the schedule opened on connections which were not ideal but there were some available. Admittedly, I never tried the morning the schedule opened before. I was hoping to find something workable right away to avoid having to keep checking.

It seems to me no Wanna Get Away fares are released for November 29 as of 6:30 AM CDT on May 14.
Old May 14, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
High demand = Revenue maximization = Smart business

Sort of stinks for us, though.

They will sell a lot a full price. When that market is satisfied, look for a few WGA to start sprinkling in. Maybe.

It might be an effort to suck the value out of points accounts as I would guess that a lot of people use points for the largely leisure travel day.
Old May 14, 2015, 6:40 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I wrote in the newsflash thread:
This year you may not benefit from booking holiday travel at schedule opening. Two days ago Southwest surprised me with the largest fare increase I have ever seen, focusing on peak travel dates:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-tomorrow.html
I checked Thanksgiving Wednesday and Monday. Sure enough, not a single flight at any fare worth buying. All the flights are far above prices I'm certain I will see later.

With Standard Award seats not being allocated for peak dates, there is no remaining reason to book anything when the schedule opens.

The good news is no more website crashes from the overload of paying customers.

Last edited by nsx; May 14, 2015 at 6:52 am
Old May 14, 2015, 7:44 am

My christmas travel flights were surprisingly cheap this morning (and all at the 70pts/$1 level). Granted, I fly a few days before/after the holiday itself, but it definitely made sense to get them now.

Now, I also needed a flight on Veteran's Day, all of which were high and were at 74pts/$1. I expect they'll come down, but as the particular WGA fare I wanted was flagged as "sold out" after a few hours this morning I went ahead and booked another one. Hopefully they'll drop.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by trouble747
My christmas travel flights were surprisingly cheap this morning (and all at the 70pts/$1 level). Granted, I fly a few days before/after the holiday itself, but it definitely made sense to get them now.

Now, I also needed a flight on Veteran's Day, all of which were high and were at 74pts/$1. I expect they'll come down, but as the particular WGA fare I wanted was flagged as "sold out" after a few hours this morning I went ahead and booked another one. Hopefully they'll drop.
Yes, I booked Christmas flights (12/23 out 12/27 back) this morning MDW->LGA that I thought were really pretty good. The were about 58 pts per $.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:13 am

I couldn't find any Wanna Get Away fares on November 29th, either. I had searched eight different destinations. I'll give it a day or so and then book on USAir, as the fare on my number one pick destination is $200 more on SWA than on US.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:50 pm

We go to Florida ( MSP/TPA) for 6 days after Thanksgiving.

Last year I flew out the day after Thanks and came back the following Thursday for under 14K, this year is was almost 20K R/T.

I also noticed this year they have flights leaving in the AM as last year the earliest flight to TPA the day after Thanksgiving departed after noon.

We were also going to do the same trip the day after Xmas and there are no WGA fares, cheapest one way is 55K so we are backing that trip up a week to leave New Years day
Old May 14, 2015, 2:45 pm

29th and 30th were all devoid of WGA for the dates / routes I looked at. It seems there are none available on those days at all. Christmas and NY at least have a few possibilities.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: WN A-list CP, IHG plat, Hyatt plat, United Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tracker09
29th and 30th were all devoid of WGA for the dates / routes I looked at. It seems there are none available on those days at all. Christmas and NY at least have a few possibilities.
the 30th has plenty of availability. not sure where you are looking
Old May 14, 2015, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by YoProWithAGoPro
the 30th has plenty of availability. not sure where you are looking
Let me elaborate. 29th no go across all routes I checked. 30 no go on the routes I want, no WGA even early this morning. There are other routes that I see something on the 30th that does me no good.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Let me elaborate. 29th no go across all routes I checked. 30 no go on the routes I want, no WGA even early this morning. There are other routes that I see something on the 30th that does me no good.
Ditto, flying on 11/29 into DAL from PHX: all flights are Anytime or BS. (Phx is where we would go for Thanksgiving)

On the flipside, the only WGA fares available into PHX from DAL on the day before Thanksgiving are NS flights. Flights with one or more stops...only Anytime or BS.

Cheapest flights (flying super early/late) are $418ea from DAL Lovefield (home base) to PHX Sky Harbor (Major hub). Whoever says that they're a "low-cost airline" any more is lying to themselves.
Old May 15, 2015, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by BeanieTX
Ditto, flying on 11/29 into DAL from PHX: all flights are Anytime or BS. (Phx is where we would go for Thanksgiving)

On the flipside, the only WGA fares available into PHX from DAL on the day before Thanksgiving are NS flights. Flights with one or more stops...only Anytime or BS.

Cheapest flights (flying super early/late) are $418ea from DAL Lovefield (home base) to PHX Sky Harbor (Major hub). Whoever says that they're a "low-cost airline" any more is lying to themselves.
Funny enough I was also looking to fly out of PHX on the 29, wanted to go to Grand Canyon for the weekend the day after turkey.
Old May 15, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Funny enough I was also looking to fly out of PHX on the 29, wanted to go to Grand Canyon for the weekend the day after turkey.
The Grand Canyon is beautiful and to hike it is an experience! It'll be rather cold and most likely snowy around Thanksgiving, so bundle up. You may find cheaper fares from LAS as it's relatively close to the Grand Canyon as well.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Not sure why this "surprise" happens every year here. You are trying to fly on the busiest single travel day of the year. It ain't going to be easy.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The two busiest days of the year are the day before Thanksgiving and the Sunday following, the economy is on screech, capacity is down. While WN likes cutsie names like "Wanna Get Away" they are just discounted fares with restrictions.

Why on earth would WN release discounted fares on a day when there will be enough demand to fill aircraft with full-fare pax? This is especially true when WN can always release these cheaper seats closer to the travel dates if there are flights where WN has miscalculated and has holes to fill.

The real kicker comes when the flights sell out and the complaint isn't about the fare, it's about the lack of availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.