Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase requesting a W9 and Social Security Admin verification forms??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Has anyone else received forms from Chase demanding an authorization for the social security administration to release information AND, mind boggingly... a W9?!

They are threatening to close my account if they do not get the forms by 2/12. Now, the auth to the SSA to validate my info - whatever - that is very restrictive and cannot be used for much (Edit: I just noticed it does not authorize Chase, but a 3rd party company, Automation Research, to access that information FOREVER, with no limit). However, I am NOT a fan of giving them a W9. I don't like my info spread all over the place any more than it already is, and them demanding a W9 is beyond absurd, given I've been a chase customer for 15 years, with 3 other credit cards and a car loan.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm tempted to let them close it. I got the 50k point bonus. I get more points from my Ink card anyway. Saves me the hassle of closing it later.

I'm just appalled at the intrusiveness of it.

Last edited by PointAbuser; Feb 5, 2015 at 12:21 pm
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Is this in regards to a Business Credit Card??
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

It gets better. I called them.

The rep I spoke to told me that the SSN verification form is to verify my name/DOB/ssn. I asked so then what do you need the W9 for? I was told "the form is used to update our system."

I asked why you need a taxpayer identification form to update your own system, and I was told that "the form is used to update the system."

I again explained that a W9 is not necessary to update your own system, and that she was not answering me, WHY do you need the form. She replies "I am answering you, the form is used to update our system."

I explain I have 3 other credit cards and a car loan with chase. I ask why is it that my information is ok with THOSE accounts, yet my Southwest card somehow needs verification. Wouldn't seeing I'm the same person with the same linked bank accounts suffice? I'm told those are separate and she cannot comment on that.

I ask to speak to a supervisor.

Supervisor explains to me that they need to verify my name, DOB, and SSN all match up. I say I understand, and the SSA form does that, explicitly. Why do you need a W9? "To verify your name, DOB and SSN."

Yes, but the OTHER form DOES that. Why do you need to verify my name, DOB and SSN, and then need another form to verify my name, DOB and SSN? "Because we had a system update and need to update our records with that form."

More bullcrap and runaround.

So, I ask, since you had a system update, EVERYONE got this request? No - not everyone. Oh, ok... so you only updated part of your system? "No sir, we updated the system."

So then I mention to her my other accounts, and she tells me those are separate entities. Ok then, why are those Ok and this one isnt, since it's the same name, DOB and SSN on those. Not to mention address, phone number, linked bank accounts, etc. She tells me there was a system update and they need the forms to validate the information.

At this point I may have punched an actual person standing in front of me.

I ask if I can go into a Chase branch and show a drivers license, passport, and my SSN card to verify it's me. No, they need the forms.

Now this is getting absurd. I can cross the US border with less than that documentation, yet, I cannot have a Chase credit card without signing paperwork that gives a third party company the right to access my SSN info in perpetuity (for ___ days had N/A written in it. IE: Authorization until the end of time), and a Taxpayer ID and certification form?

So I ask what happens if I don't return the forms. I'm told my account will be closed. I mention "Shouldn't they all be closed? I mean, if you cannot verify the information you've already had on file, without issue, for 14 years, shouldn't they all be closed?" After a moment she says "Yes sir all your accounts with Chase will be closed."

Now I know for a fact that shes full of crap.

I'm sorry. I'm not giving a bank that sort of access to my information. I've filled out 5 W9's in my lifetime, for jobs I was starting where my employer needed access to my tax information for TAX PURPOSES.

Why a credit card needs that - beyond me.

Just to be safe I'm dumping all my Ink points into my SW account in case they close my business account also.

I'm stunned that that level of bullying by a bank is both legal, and acceptable.

Even better - I've done at a minimum, $50,000 a year in transactions with Chase cards for many years now. Paid my bills. Now, because they aren't sure I'm actually me, they want to close my accounts if I don't bend over and take it. I really wish I HAD lied about my SSN on those accounts. I'd have the perfect excuse to max out every card I have, let them close the accounts, and not pay a damn thing. I mean - it's not me, right? How could they hold ME liable for the charges when they cannot verify that I'm actually me.

What's the wait time before you can get the new user bonus? Can't wait to let that pass then re-apply.

Hell, I may apply for an Amazon credit card right now just for the hell of it to see what happens.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DebitNM
Is this in regards to a Business Credit Card??
Nope. Personal Premiere.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Sounds like their version of the dreaded American Express Financial Review (google it).

My pure speculation is that you are not a profitable customer to them and your account is flagged. This might be a way to hassle you to close. Does your FT handle ring true in their eyes?

Read in the WSJ once that when you call in, your account is color coded and that determines the cooperation and leeway (to waive interest, fees, etc) you'll get. They probably all do that. I "seem" to get special treatment from them but I also have 10 credit cards and a ton of money on deposit too.

There is no rhyme or reason and once some stupid algorithm makes up their mind, its probably hard to override.

During the financial crisis, AMEX and the others (not Chase) cut my limits from $10,000 and more to $500 without warning, including cards I had paid annual fees for, making them useless. Nothing changed in my situation. I cut up my cards and sent them to the a**hole who signed the letter with a brief note but never heard another word.

Its very odd. At best I would send them a copy of my SSN card, tell them to pound salt and demand a refund of the fee. Good luck.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
Sounds like their version of the dreaded American Express Financial Review (google it).

My pure speculation is that you are not a profitable customer to them and your account is flagged. This might be a way to hassle you to close. Does your FT handle ring true in their eyes?

Read in the WSJ once that when you call in, your account is color coded and that determines the cooperation and leeway (to waive interest, fees, etc) you'll get. They probably all do that. I "seem" to get special treatment from them but I also have 10 credit cards and a ton of money on deposit too.

There is no rhyme or reason and once some stupid algorithm makes up their mind, its probably hard to override.

During the financial crisis, AMEX and the others (not Chase) cut my limits from $10,000 and more to $500 without warning, including cards I had paid annual fees for, making them useless. Nothing changed in my situation. I cut up my cards and sent them to the a**hole who signed the letter with a brief note but never heard another word.

Its very odd. At best I would send them a copy of my SSN card, tell them to pound salt and demand a refund of the fee. Good luck.
As for not being profitable - I opened the card in December. Got my 50k bonus and I've been using the card, daily. If they close it on me, THEN it's going to be very NOT profitable for them. I can get almost $900 in flights for that 50k points. I'm sure they paid at least $200 for the 50k points, if not more. I've done about 8k worth of business on it so far. Even if chase got a full 2% thats only $160.

Anyway. Drove me insane they wouldn't give me a straight answer.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
They must suspect you of doing something fraudulent, maybe with a different card even. First I have heard of this from Chase.

A review like this is why I never push my CC companies too hard.

Not saying you are doing this, but so many people on here want to get signup bonuses, immediately cancel, try to get out of the annual fee, push everything to the limit, etc. Never seemed smart to me.

There has to be something in a deal for the other guys.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
They must suspect you of doing something fraudulent, maybe with a different card even. First I have heard of this from Chase.

A review like this is why I never push my CC companies too hard.

Not saying you are doing this, but so many people on here want to get signup bonuses, immediately cancel, try to get out of the annual fee, push everything to the limit, etc. Never seemed smart to me.

There has to be something in a deal for the other guys.
What's hilarious is that I'm actually USING the card! I've had it for less than 3 months, and have already charged over $8000 on it. Not 2k, got my 50k bonus, and stopped, but 6k more. Including $600 today alone.

If they are trying to shove me out because they are afraid I'm going to stop using it, well, that's the most backwards thing I've ever heard of.

He might get the bonus points and run! Better cancel his card before he... crap... no...

I REALLY hope thats not the reason. I'll lose the remaining faith I have in humanity. Which at this point isnt much.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:15 pm

What about the other cards? Any lateness, problems with the car loan, etc. They're all linked under your SSN. I agree it just doesn't make sense. I've had credit card companies send me repeated balance transfer offers with 18 months at 0% then get upset when I shelve the card & make the minimum payments. I bet its been flagged as possible fraud. Remember these are the geniuses who cut me off in the middle of business trips without warning for "suspicious" transactions while real fraud goes right through...

I once got into a shouting match with Citibank because they once flagged a small legitimate transaction, then they wouldn't lift the hold because I couldn't call from or receive a call on my work phone, on a weekend, where my card was registered to. Simply morons.

Last edited by joshua362; Feb 5, 2015 at 2:23 pm
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:23 pm

Maybe they just noticed your Flyertalk handle...!!
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:28 pm

Not sure why you're so excited about a W-9. We generally have to give them to all of our customers. All it does is certify to them you correct name, form of business and TIN.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:34 pm

That is true, I do it all the time as well. It usually leads to a 1099 come tax time. Watch they start to put a dollar value on the bonuses and start issuing 1099's!
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by PointAbuser
Has anyone else received forms from Chase demanding an authorization for the social security administration to release information AND, mind boggingly... a W9?!

They are threatening to close my account if they do not get the forms by 2/12. Now, the auth to the SSA to validate my info - whatever - that is very restrictive and cannot be used for much (Edit: I just noticed it does not authorize Chase, but a 3rd party company, Automation Research, to access that information FOREVER, with no limit). However, I am NOT a fan of giving them a W9. I don't like my info spread all over the place any more than it already is, and them demanding a W9 is beyond absurd, given I've been a chase customer for 15 years, with 3 other credit cards and a car loan.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm tempted to let them close it. I got the 50k point bonus. I get more points from my Ink card anyway. Saves me the hassle of closing it later.

I'm just appalled at the intrusiveness of it.
Sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, based on TWG2012's posts, it seems legitimate (i.e., not a clever scam). There is more information in the Chase forum...an example post from 2013:

Originally Posted by TWG2012
Guys need your advice. Kind of concerned with what I got in the mail.

Good news is, got my card and everything, so happy about that.

Bad news, Got a letter in the mail same day I got my card saying

"Thank you for opening your new credit card account with us. We reviewed the information you provided when you opened your account and realized that we need to confirm your Social Security Number."

There's a form (That looks suspicious by the way) enclosed and the letter states

"Please understand that if we do not receive the requested documentation by April 29, 2013 we will close your account."

I called chase, they said that's strange and they would never verify personal info through the mail such as SSN...

Any ideas or similar situations guys? :S
You might want to see the follow-up posts in this thread (start ~post 1891). PM that poster and see what happened after s/he received the letter.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by PointAbuser
I've been a chase customer for 15 years, with 3 other credit cards and a car loan.
To possibly help others avoid receiving this dreaded letter in the future, could you provide some additional information?

1) Did you open multiple Chase credit cards recently (like 2 or more in the past 3-6 months)? How many? And, in what timeframe?

2) Do you have any chase deposit accounts?

The only silver (rusty steel?) lining is that they didn't close your accounts without asking you like they did to many others as discussed in this thread: [Consolidated]Chase closed my CC account(s) Compared to them, at least you have some chance of keeping a relationship with Chase.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
What's the big deal with giving them a W-9? You gave them your SSN when you applied.

Odd request? Yes. Your aversion to the form seems undue.

Your employers, however, should not be asking for a W-9. What "tax information" did you feel your employer should have that this gave them? A W-4 is what you would give an employer. Neither a W-4 or W-9 allows the recipient to "access" your tax info...rather it is you giving them your taxpayer ID (and withholding instructions).

Nice handle though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.