Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sticking it to ISP passengers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:12 pm

US used to offer ISP-DCA not too long ago. Then it merged with AA, but the DOJ required US give up slots at DCA, and actually more than AA was bringing to the table.

The DOJ didn't want US/AA to have too much marketshare relative to the other legacy carriers (including WN). If the DOJ wanted to limit US/AA marketshare to 20%, why not let US/AA find a way to do so. US/AA's solution would have been dehubbing PHX, where Arizona Congressman are strongly against that.

But it was too political. Pressure was for US/AA to give up marketshare in DCA, which ultimately led to routes being cut including ISP-DCA.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by lougord99
I guess the question becomes, why would I want to go to ISP if I don't live on Long Island. Where would I go, other than Long Island, if I flew into ISP?

Huh? Why would someone want to fly there? I guess for the same reason people travel to or from any place with a big population. Business or leisure, I suppose.

Suffolk has 1.5MM people. On its own, it'd be the 40th biggest market in the US. Add just half of Nassau and it's a top 25 market. And yet the airlines gave determined that ISP doesn't warrant enough service to even crack the top 100 in passengers enplaned.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Oh, the conspiracy grows deeper. Just wasted an hour trying to do ISP-LAS and back. Offered routings (if any) were ridiculous and expensive. Built my own with long, legal connections, all seemed to work well with pricing until final payment screen, then the message started, various Oops, fare bucket now sold out and this appears:

We are unable to price the flight you selected. Please select a different flight or call 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792) for assistance. (SW900001-6qgOCQUvRqOPS35KBJQ8fg)
(Wednesday, February 4, 2015 12:28:35 PM CST)

Net effect, booked 4 one way flights, will be "unprotected" and paid the TSA fee 2 extra times.

What has become of this once great and simple to fly airline!
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
It amazes be when people think ANY company is out to get somebody or something by not offering what the customer WANTS.

Companies are in business for one thing, and one thing only. To make money.

In the case of SW and ISP - they make business decisions based on what they think will work for the SW. And, SW wants to sell as many seats and the highest price possible with the higher net profit after expenses (including gate costs, advertising, etc.) possible.

That means some airports will have a higher ticket prices and possibly less frequency than others. They have xx number of airplanes and they make money by flying them as full as possible and the highest net profit each.

Simple stuff. Really.

No conspiracy. Just simple business.

Why is that so hard for people to understand?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Simple stuff. Really.

No conspiracy. Just simple business.

Why is that so hard for people to understand?
Please, its all tongue in cheek

Maybe some jilted lover spite thrown in since I was with them 100% from the start in 1999 and the current schedule is less than 20% of what it was was. Plus a million plus points and 8 SA's to burn.

Just looking for a little sympathy...
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
[QUOTE=joshua362;24291454]Please, its all tongue in cheek

Maybe some jilted lover spite thrown in since I was with them 100% from the start in 1999 and the current schedule is less than 20% of what it was was. Plus a million plus points and 8 SA's to burn.

Just looking for a little sympathy...[/QUOTE]

^^^
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by joshua362
Please, its all tongue in cheek ...ust looking for a little sympathy...

In that case, I have you on my list for a some flowers from Valentines Day.

It may be a week or two before my honey throws them out, but they are yours!!
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:56 pm

It may be a week or two before my honey throws them out, but they are yours!!
Thank you, Dead Flowers for a jilted lover, somehow seems appropriate and a damn fine Rolling Stones song too!

PS, little known fact, I believe AirTran started at ISP many years ago (pre WN) and bolted to LGA shortly afterwards.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
1800 FLOWERS, code RR43 for 1750 WN points!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:11 pm

I just noticed that Southwest is offering ISP-BWI-LAS again beginning Nov. 1. It's also selling PWM-BWI-LAS. Prior, connections through BWI-LAS weren't offered.

A quick look on BOS to LAS shows no BOS-BWI-LAS but promotion of connections through other cities, WN might be just making an exception for markets like ISP and PWM that have no MDW or other hub connection, and only have BWI for connections. It was bizarre that it had the BWI-LAS connection ban in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.