Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to Bahamas in 2015 ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Flights to Bahamas in 2015 ?

How can I find out if/when Southwest will plan to offer flights to the Bahamas in 2015 ? Specifically from Texas. I have googled it, and went over southwest site but only can see current schedules. I understand flights for Oct/Nov 15 will not be released for a few more months but working on vacation schedules at work and need to block out time. Can anyone help ?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: SPG Platnium, SWA A+, CP
Probably not going to happen. WN just announced new international flights from Houston starting around October 2015. If Bahamas was going to be a destination, they probably would have announced it then.

One suggestion is to fly WN to San Juan then grab a CapeAir flight which services the smaller islands.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:58 pm

What are you guys talking about? WN's been offering flights to Nassau since July of this year. The only problem is that they all leave from BWI so many flight pairs are not available, ie, you can't book AUS -> NAS.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
United has non-stop flights from IAH - NAS, so that's another option.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:30 am

When I looked up MSP/NAS it says service stops 1/5/2015.

I thought they recently added the Bahamas

Published scheduled service between (Minneapolis - MSP) and (Nassau - NAS) will be discontinued on 01/05/2015. Please select an alternate date or choose another origination/destination. Please visit the Southwest Airlines interactive route map for alternate choices. (SW100102-
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Hookm36
How can I find out if/when Southwest will plan to offer flights to the Bahamas in 2015 ? Specifically from Texas. I have googled it, and went over southwest site but only can see current schedules. I understand flights for Oct/Nov 15 will not be released for a few more months but working on vacation schedules at work and need to block out time. Can anyone help ?
Wish I could help you from the Texas perspective--I'm from California--but I just got back from the Bahamas on Southwest. To get there, the point of departure was ATL (Atlanta). To get back, I flew through BWI (Baltimore) connecting to Austin for a short stopover before returning to California.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by texashoser
What are you guys talking about? WN's been offering flights to Nassau since July of this year. The only problem is that they all leave from BWI so many flight pairs are not available, ie, you can't book AUS -> NAS.
Flights are typically flying out and back with longer legs than Airtran did out of the ATL hub that limits connections. Airtran had fewer connections to BDA (discontinued) because if flew only out of BWI.

There are lots of potential fixes to better connect the whole network. IMO more later day flights and Redeyes are probably the best for aircraft utilization putting them back to East Coast/EST. That's a lot more flying and grabbing 2hrs back lost in time zone changes West to East. Airtran had several redeyes...
Old Dec 25, 2014, 9:52 am

As the service footprint gets larger Southwest will almost certainly need to add later flights and create "focus cities" that start to resemble hubs, otherwise there will be too many places you won't be able to get to and many you might be able to get to but not get back.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
As the service footprint gets larger Southwest will almost certainly need to add later flights and create "focus cities" that start to resemble hubs, otherwise there will be too many places you won't be able to get to and many you might be able to get to but not get back.
I have had this problem with domestic flights already. 6 hours flying one direction and no return options or a 12 hour cross country return (which departs at 6am). Thanks but no thanks.

I have wanted to go on some of the international flights but I can rarely ever find connections that work without a overnight stay in one direction or the other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.