Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest has overbooked the last Air Tran flight.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

According to reports in the Airtran Forum Southwest has apparently overbooked the last Airtan flight.

That is indefensable.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: LTP, PP
How would the common man know at this point?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
And, aren't a high number of flights normally over booked anyways?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I'm not sure I neccessarily get the outrage here. While the AirTran name may go away it's not like any IDB is going to get stranded like if the entire operation (WN + FL) was going to shutdown once that aircraft pushes. IDBs will get rolled over to the next WN flight like usual.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by alggag
I'm not sure I neccessarily get the outrage here. While the AirTran name may go away it's not like any IDB is going to get stranded like if the entire operation (WN + FL) was going to shutdown once that aircraft pushes. IDBs will get rolled over to the next WN flight like usual.
The issue is that this isn't a flight full of people actually trying to travel somewhere. This is a special event flight to commemorate the end of Air Tran. Being bumped from the flight means missing the experience of the flight which is the whole reason people booked.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Other than some sentimental attachment to FL, why is this even remotely significant? And, why does it matter at all that a given flight is overbooked? The vast majority of overbooks aren't oversold.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:52 am

I would be pissed if I got bumped from that sweet business class seat one last time...
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
If you absolutely want a seat, there appears to one available in the choice section. I just checked the seat map.

I was expected an oversell of some sort. Not likely everyone will make the flight. Hopefully it's small and people who want to be on it will be.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshua362
I would be pissed if I got bumped from that sweet business class seat one last time...
Is business class overbooked, or just coach?

It's SOP at airlines that have more than one cabin, where sales of the up-front cabin lag sales of coach, to oversell coach, knowing they can always "roll" enough people up to the front.

Southwest proper can't do that, of course, because all its planes are single cabin.

But AirTran was able to do that. (Whether it did that historically or not, that I don't know. I do know other multi-cabin airlines do do it.)
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Is business class overbooked, or just coach?

It's SOP at airlines that have more than one cabin, where sales of the up-front cabin lag sales of coach, to oversell coach, knowing they can always "roll" enough people up to the front.

Southwest proper can't do that, of course, because all its planes are single cabin.

But AirTran was able to do that. (Whether it did that historically or not, that I don't know. I do know other multi-cabin airlines do do it.)
Neither is oversold on FL1

No fares have existed for a long time even before it was full. I was watching them closely trying to justify over $300 for coach. Then Bam fares went away before it was even full.

Airtran Elite upgrades solved most of the oversold coach issues. Beyond that yes, many Customers got free upgrades. GA discretion... a whole lot of issues that might come into play. i.e. VDBs from an earlier flight often would oversell coach and not get seats together. Why not make their day even better?

BC oversells only occured during IROPs.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:13 am

RIP Airtran. I've said it many times before, for a business traveler, that was one sweet airline, real business seats at WN BS prices. Only flew them maybe 15x compared to 1,000x+ WN but I appreciated every flight. RIP Airtran.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Seat availability for sale on flight #1 has been strange: sold out, then 8+ available, then back to sold out. Still glad I bought our 3 tickets a few months back.

My hunch is that mgmt blocked a bunch of seats for employees who have decided against the trip due to holiday travel and due to the difficulty in flying nonrev positioning flights...
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:01 pm

My hunch is this becomes the last two-class configuration with assigned seating. AirTran livery will be in service into 2015 - coded WN-only.

They now acknowledge integration will be only "nearly complete" after 12/28:

Southwest Airlines will celebrate with a special event on Sunday, December 28, 2014 before AirTran Airways Flight 1 departs for Tampa at 10:25 P.M. EST. The event marks the nearly complete integration that will result in one airline with one Customer Service Experience, one flight schedule, one Rapid Rewards Frequent Flier program and one brand.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Starting 12/29, the only Airtran livery in the air should be ferry flights to maintenance/Delta rebranding.

The last Airtran 737 flew 11/30 and was ferried to Boeing (PAE) for the Delta livery install. Photos show several in the hangar. http://www.blogsouthwest.com/flashba...l-airtran-737/

As of this December 2014, there appear to have been 31 Airtran registered 717's. http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ai...file_tab_fleet Delta's delivery schedule from 2 years ago called for the last 36 aircraft in 2015 at the rate of 3 per month... So there will be a bit of a backlog to rebrand then a backlog mothballed on Southwest's time until delivery.

I haven't read an update on this in a few months, but one of the biggest "integration" issues remaining into 2015 was reported to be the Pilot 737 type certification. They can only certify a certain qty per month, and as a result of waiting way too long to finalize the programs, hundreds of pilots will be paid their full salary for the better part of 2015--while sitting at home.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
They can only certify a certain qty per month, and as a result of waiting way too long to finalize the programs, hundreds of pilots will be paid their full salary for the better part of 2015--while sitting at home.
I'd maintain 717s as revenue flights for a few months to avoid keeping hundreds of pilots sitting home paid full salary, even inviting unwelcome media attention. But your handle on this is better than mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.