Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schedule Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Schedule Question

I know it's not possible to predict the schedule going forward but do the SW flight times follow a pattern year to year ?

The earliest arrival for MSP/TPA the day after Thanksgiving (11/28/14) is 6pm. Since that flight is 7 plus hours and arrives after sunset I opted for an 7:45 arrival.

Is it likely that next year will also have the earliest arrival around 6pm ?

I am looking at booking the outgoing flight on AA, UA or Delta to get me into TPA by 1pm or so for 2015. If I use miles ( or even $$ depending on the price ) most times the earlier you book the better so most likely I would be better off booking the outbound flight when it goes on sale in late 2014.

This is months before the SW schedule for November 2015 would be released.

Any thoughts ?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:05 pm

There are some many changes in destinations, fleet and other variables I wouldn't bet on any kind of repeating pattern.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Somewhat related, why would "normal" scheduling be interrupted on Monday 12/1 (the Monday after Thanksgiving) vs. the rest of the week starting Tuesday 12/2? 2 flights I normally take on Mondays are gone for that day only and return Tuesday. I reckon it relates to exploiting Thanksgiving travel but what an inconvenience to business travelers who still gotta go...
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I know it's not possible to predict the schedule going forward but do the SW flight times follow a pattern year to year ?

The earliest arrival for MSP/TPA the day after Thanksgiving (11/28/14) is 6pm. Since that flight is 7 plus hours and arrives after sunset I opted for an 7:45 arrival.

Is it likely that next year will also have the earliest arrival around 6pm ?

I am looking at booking the outgoing flight on AA, UA or Delta to get me into TPA by 1pm or so for 2015. If I use miles ( or even $$ depending on the price ) most times the earlier you book the better so most likely I would be better off booking the outbound flight when it goes on sale in late 2014.

This is months before the SW schedule for November 2015 would be released.

Any thoughts ?
This is really hard to saw. Friday is unique. looking at Saturday you have a few flights that get into TPA early afternoon.

With southwest schedules are a very weird thing. Since southwest doesnt have a typical hub/spoke a;lignment they can put in some weird connection routes or they prevent you from getting legit connections for exampl,e you could see a flight from MSP to MDW with a 40 min layover and then MDW -TPA that arrives in the afternoon but it can only be booked as two different trips. MSP-MDW-TPA is unavailable. To add on to this example it could be unavailable because it has a too short layover time of 30 minutes when it first comes out, but later on the adjust the schedule which then makes the connecting time 40 min and thus allowed in the system to book.

looking ahead to next year is a big uncertainty with the full absorbtion of airtran (uncertainty of what ATL will be) and the activation of DAL as a real airport how this could affect routes and planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.