Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ thread for CP?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
FAQ thread for CP?

Is there a thread w/ FAQ on the companion pass? I have seen plenty of info on earning the CP but was looking more for info on how to best use it once I have it. For example:

Best way to book flights now for early 2015 knowing I will have the CP before we fly?

Can you buy EBCI for a CP passenger?

Any situations where the CP should be used with caution (possible cancels, schedule changes etc.)?

In what situations can a CP not be used?

Does the flight have to have WGA availability or is any available ticket class ok?

Does the CP fare class have to match my paid/points fare class? In other words, if I book WGA can I add a CP if only BS is available when I want to add?

Thanks for any assistance in answering these questions or pointing me to the right thread to find the info.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Much covered in the WN FAQ.

All these things and everything else imaginable on the CP have been answered dozens, if not hundreds, of times. Search.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:02 am

Other topics for FAQ: Once I get the companion pass what can I do about previously-booked reservations with my companion (both paid for or booked with points).
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Much covered in the WN FAQ.

All these things and everything else imaginable on the CP have been answered dozens, if not hundreds, of times. Search.
I did read the FAQ section on the CP but didn't find the answers to my questions.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
Is there a thread w/ FAQ on the companion pass? I have seen plenty of info on earning the CP but was looking more for info on how to best use it once I have it. For example:

Best way to book flights now for early 2015 knowing I will have the CP before we fly?

Can you buy EBCI for a CP passenger?

Any situations where the CP should be used with caution (possible cancels, schedule changes etc.)?

In what situations can a CP not be used?

Does the flight have to have WGA availability or is any available ticket class ok?

Does the CP fare class have to match my paid/points fare class? In other words, if I book WGA can I add a CP if only BS is available when I want to add?

Thanks for any assistance in answering these questions or pointing me to the right thread to find the info.
1. Reserve with points or pay $, then ask an agent on phone to switch when earned. Only necessary if you suspect a complete sell out as you'll get the last seat with the CP.

2. I suspect yes but it would be silly to purchase, just have the CP holder save you a seat as he/she is likely to be A List or A List+ with auto check-in.

3. Only when you suspect the CP holder and designee will separate voluntarily during travels. If you have to split up in IRROPS or oversell situations, I believe they will accommodate you.

4. Only when the CP holder and designee will not physically travel together (and if the flight has no more seats for sale).

5. Any

6. No, any available seat gets it.

It truly is a great bargain for those who have the time and energy to use it! The ideal situation would be for a small business owner to earn it and take a necessary employee along (or a mistress...)

Last edited by joshua362; Nov 19, 2014 at 8:05 am
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
1. Reserve with points or pay $, then ask an agent on phone to switch when earned. Only necessary if you suspect a complete sell out as you'll get the last seat with the CP.

2. I suspect yes but it would be silly to purchase, just have the CP holder save you a seat as he/she is likely to be A List or A List+ with auto check-in.

3. Only when you suspect the CP holder and designee will separate voluntarily during travels. If you have to split up in IRROPS or oversell situations, I believe they will accommodate you.

4. Only when the CP holder and designee will not physically travel together (and if the flight has no more seats for sale).

5. Any

6. No, any available seat gets it.

It truly is a great bargain for those who have the time and energy to use it! The ideal situation would be for a small business owner to earn it and take a necessary employee along (or a mistress...)
Thank you!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:31 am

Thank you!
Welcome. Another thought on #1, if you do reserve in advance of earning a CP and then switch, buy a AT fare so its refundable. Points better to use if you have them as you get them right back too. But again, only necessary if you think the flight is going to be a complete sell out far in advance which is really rare IME.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
Welcome. Another thought on #1, if you do reserve in advance of earning a CP and then switch, buy a AT fare so its refundable. Points better to use if you have them as you get them right back too. But again, only necessary if you think the flight is going to be a complete sell out far in advance which is really rare IME.
There are 3 of us traveling. The flights we need are in Feb and Apr, both are during school vacation weeks here in MA so it's possible that flights will sell out? Other than checking availability on the SW site, is there any other way to see how many seats are left? For other airlines I do a dummy booking and check available seats but that is not an option here...

I guess to be safe I should book my future companion on a refundable fare, as you suggested, and then I can call and switch them to CP and get a refund? Other than for work, I don't usually book refundable and all of that is done through our travel office. I'm assuming once I switch it to the CP, WN would refund the cost of the ticket to whatever cc I used to make the booking?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:47 am
Original Poster

One other question - advantage/disadvantage to booking RT vs. OW?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:08 am

There is a lot of good information in the FAQ/Wiki as it currently exists but it is too complicated for new members.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:21 am

One other question - advantage/disadvantage to booking RT vs. OW?
The Mantra here is to always book OW's except for certain rare situations like pushing points into another calendar year (which I am going to try for December trips) and rare RT sales. There is a listing of all the reasons why somewhere.

OW is much easier to keep track of and make changes to reservations. Requires a bit more work making 2 reservations instead of 1 but worth it IMO. No impact on the CP.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:43 pm

I paid for early Bird for me and my companion for a few reasons.

It cost $12.50 and both tickets were free minus award fees and EB.

This is my first SW flight so I don't really want to get into seat saving.

As far as the person who holds CP having A+ that may be true for some but people like me (and there seem to be quite a few others on this forum ) who got CP through credit cards may have never paid to fly on SW and if they have it's certainly not enough paid flights to get A+

Since the OP is asking these basic ( to seasoned SW flyers) questions I have a feeling he/she also is new to SW.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I paid for early Bird for me and my companion for a few reasons.

It cost $12.50 and both tickets were free minus award fees and EB.

This is my first SW flight so I don't really want to get into seat saving.

As far as the person who holds CP having A+ that may be true for some but people like me (and there seem to be quite a few others on this forum ) who got CP through credit cards may have never paid to fly on SW and if they have it's certainly not enough paid flights to get A+

Since the OP is asking these basic ( to seasoned SW flyers) questions I have a feeling he/she also is new to SW.
She. And yes, I'm fairly new to WN, and will get the CP due to cc bonuses. I have only a few paid flights on WN and all of them were in the past few months. But they were also all solo so I didn't have to think about sitting together. My DD is 11, shy around strangers and prone to motion sickness. I would not want her to sit by herself so I'm willing to pay for EBCI if it's available for the CP. Good to know that it is, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.