Wiki Posts
Search

Wanna Get Away? Not at these fares

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
A question about WN's sophistication.

In looking at an award booking around Memorial Day, SMF-ABQ-SMF, it appears that more points are needed to book a one way SMF-ABQ than to break up the trip through the connecting point by booking SMF-LAS and LAS-ABQ, using the "add segment" opportunity. Is it legitimate to save points by doing this, and why would the sophisticated software allow this?
Yes, I've done it many times before without incident and who knows - that is how WN IT's department functions at times....
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
ISP made sense years ago when WN did not have gates at LGA. Some people (myself included) would utilize ISP which was in fact more convenient for weekend trips to the Hamptons if not Manhattan. However, LGA is far more convenient for the vast majority of travelers to NYC and also has more competition. So it makes sense that fares will be lower.

Really it is not all that different from the situation at OAK and SFO now. WN owns OAK and can charge what it wants. Which means in some cases the fares are higher than flying from SFO, where intense competition from VX, UA and other majors keeps the fares lower.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
A question about WN's sophistication.

In looking at an award booking around Memorial Day, SMF-ABQ-SMF, it appears that more points are needed to book a one way SMF-ABQ than to break up the trip through the connecting point by booking SMF-LAS and LAS-ABQ, using the "add segment" opportunity. Is it legitimate to save points by doing this, and why would the sophisticated software allow this?
This happens because fares are usually priced based on origin-destination pair, not based on route. What you are doing is forcing a "fare break" at LAS. As for why WN's IT does not check the fare break by default... who knows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.