Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early Bird gets a "B?"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Early Bird gets a "B?"

So, I don't fly WN very often but I did pay for Early Bird for my flight tomorrow and just checked in and got B8? I have never before gotten such a high number before. Is this common? The boarding pass says "Early Bird" but I'm really surprised by this.

Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by jennj99738
So, I don't fly WN very often but I did pay for Early Bird for my flight tomorrow and just checked in and got B8? I have never before gotten such a high number before. Is this common? The boarding pass says "Early Bird" but I'm really surprised by this.

Thanks.
Don't know that I'd call it common, but it's also not UNcommon depending on many variables that constantly shift around.

It's totally dependent upon a given route, day of travel, number of A+ and A- passengers, and number of EBCIs that potentially purchased prior to you. A heavy-business route with a lot of frequent fliers (A+/A-) will push the beginnings of EBCI way down the stack. Likewise, a mostly-all infrequent flyer trip on an off-day can cause EBCI to potentially get low-to-mid A's.

Another potential wrench in the monkey has to do with your departure city. A large station (and thereby heavy with connects) such as LAS, DEN, MDW, etc. will often (but not always) statistically have more A+/A- fliers than a smaller outstation such as ABQ, LIT, etc.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:51 am

It's not that uncommon. If you have a lot of A-listers and a lot of other "early bird" folks, it is very possible to get a B boarding pass.

Still, shouldn't be a bid deal to you. Really no difference between a high A pass and a low B pass. You'll still get isle or window.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:54 am

I have gotten B as an A-lister.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Yes, the flight is from LAS to BWI. I have done better just setting my alarm and checking in. Seems like a costly decision for me.

I don't know about getting a window or aisle. Don't the families board after "A" and before "B?"
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Yes, the flight is from LAS to BWI. I have done better just setting my alarm and checking in. Seems like a costly decision for me.

I don't know about getting a window or aisle. Don't the families board after "A" and before "B?"
Sadly. The "alarm clock scenario" would have given you an ever worse number. Unless you happened to time it when someone was canceling. The quickest clicker, in theory, should get a boarding pass after all EBirds

Yes. Families board in between A and B

B8 should be an easy window or aisle. Unless there's a ton of thru passengers
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that. Out of curiosity, can someone explain what WN considers a family? Mom, Dad and three teenagers?

I've had very bad luck with WN in the past. Unfortunately, given my scheduling needs, this was the flight I had to take. Thinking about this will do me no good.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:12 pm

Don't forget any A-Listers entitled to board at A-61.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass

It's $12.50; hopefully that didn't break the bank. Most (many?) folks purchase EBCI to eliminate the need to "set an alarm" or otherwise scramble to do a check-in right at T-24.

Looks like there are two LAS-BWI n/s tomorrow, both on -800s. The flight number makes-up at LAS, so there are unlikely to be any thrus. I'm not the resident math whiz on FT, but that should work out to something like 59 aisle seats and 57 window seats. It's mathematically impossible for you to get "stuck" in a window seat with a low B. As antinseattle points out, you would have been assured of a worse position (along with less sleep) had you forgone EBCI and opted for the ACCI method.

Drink service on an -800 starts at rows 1, 9, 16 and 23 (4 F/As), so seat yourself accordingly if that is of interest.

I'd pack something(s) to eat. While normally a long ride, remember you'll likely be taking a more southerly routing due to the ongoing backwash from This Mess.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Thanks for that. Out of curiosity, can someone explain what WN considers a family? Mom, Dad and three teenagers?

I've had very bad luck with WN in the past. Unfortunately, given my scheduling needs, this was the flight I had to take. Thinking about this will do me no good.
For Family Boarding, your family does not count:

Do families get to preboard?
An adult traveling with a child four years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an “A” boarding pass, they should both board with the “A” boarding group.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's already a thread that's just for figuring out how common or uncommon this is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...b-checkin.html
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA

Thanks.

Im not---its happened to me numerous times--usually around B 1-5.

Remember there is order in this...

from 16-60+ sorted by their FF class and the fare they paid. FFs status bumps you up automatically to the A for most flights. From there it seems to sort you by fare paid and the price you paid.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steved5480
It's $12.50; hopefully that didn't break the bank. Most (many?) folks purchase EBCI to eliminate the need to "set an alarm" or otherwise scramble to do a check-in right at T-24.

Looks like there are two LAS-BWI n/s tomorrow, both on -800s. The flight number makes-up at LAS, so there are unlikely to be any thrus. I'm not the resident math whiz on FT, but that should work out to something like 59 aisle seats and 57 window seats. It's mathematically impossible for you to get "stuck" in a window seat with a low B. As antinseattle points out, you would have been assured of a worse position (along with less sleep) had you forgone EBCI and opted for the ACCI method.

Drink service on an -800 starts at rows 1, 9, 16 and 23 (4 F/As), so seat yourself accordingly if that is of interest.

I'd pack something(s) to eat. While normally a long ride, remember you'll likely be taking a more southerly routing due to the ongoing backwash from This Mess.
Thank you for all of this. You were right, of course, it was $12.50 per flight. It's the 6:40 a.m. flight, so drink service is not important. I'll just try to find a nice seat, hopefully window, near the back of the plane and hope for the best.

Originally Posted by SCGustafson

An adult traveling with a child four years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an “A” boarding pass, they should both board with the “A” boarding group.
I was just curious. As a single flier, I've been bumped around after I've already been seated for a family that this definition did not fit.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
There's already a thread that's just for figuring out how common or uncommon this is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...b-checkin.html
Tried searching but didn't see the thread. That was an interesting read. It seems to vary a lot and there seem to be instances where people who didn't buy Early Bird still got lower numbers than others who did.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
You are not going to have any problem getting an aisle or window, whichever you prefer, unless something really odd happens.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Sep 30, 2014 at 5:05 pm
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by SCGustafson

Except of course in those fairly frequent cases where the GA decides to ignore the rule and allow children over 4 board with their entire family including 12 brothers and sisters home from college for the summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.