Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Selection Lottery

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Seat Selection Lottery

OK this is pretty weird. I have been an frequent Airtran passenger since before it was Airtran. Since they went to assigned seating I have never had a problem with seat selection.

Last week I tried to change seats so my wife and I could sit together. I could not change my seat for a flight booked on Southwest. I could change her seat booked on Airtran all over the plane.

I went through all of our booked flights and made sure we had seat selections and on the few we are together that we were seated together. I made sure that all Southwest bookings on Airtran had seat selections.

Today we are flying together again. She was booked on Airtran I was booked on Southwest. When I printed our boarding passes yesterday I didn't notice by my seat assignment had been changed. We were no longer seated together. This morning I check the flight and discover that both our seats have been changed. She was upgraded to Business and I was moved again.

I went through all of my flights booked through the end of the year and discovered that some of the Airtran flights showed no seat assignment. I reselected seats for myself.

Has anyone else seen this? Or am I losing my mind?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Has anyone else seen this? Or am I losing my mind?
There is a possibility that both are true. It's not that I know. It's just possible.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
If you book an Airtran flight on Southwest you won't be able to select a seat. It has been that way since the start.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by robbert
If you book an Airtran flight on Southwest you won't be able to select a seat. It has been that way since the start.
No, that's not true.

I booked a BS fare on Southwest for flights operated by AirTran, and after booking I was able to go back in and select my seat.

I also, later, received a confirmation email that included a link to "View/Select Seat(s)." It included the message:

AirTran has assigned seating. You may select your seat for your AirTran segments upon confirmation of your flight(s) or anytime prior to checking in.

Once you check in, you will not be able to change your seat until arrival at the airport.
I don't have experience with WGA or AT fares, but I know you could absolutely select your seat if booked BS.

Last edited by ursine1; Aug 27, 2014 at 10:19 pm
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by ursine1
No, that's not true.

I booked a BS fare on Southwest for flights operated by AirTran, and after booking I was able to go back in and select my seat.

I also, later, received a confirmation email that included a link to "View/Select Seat(s)." It included the message:

I don't have experience with WGA or AT fares, but I know you could absolutely select your seat if booked BS.
This. x2. Regularly & dare I say it has worked consistently for me since cross-booking was implemented. I guess I always assumed the AirTran IT people wrote the interface, which would have explained the consistent part
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

I am A-List and Elite. I can always select a seat on Airtran Flights. It has worked for me until last week. I wonder if Southwest IT has take over maintaining the Airtran website.

Southwest has recently without any notice:
  • Closed the A+ Rewards Department
  • Closed the Elite Desk
  • Closed the A2B Desk
All of the phone numbers are still on the Airtran Web site.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mycheapfares
You can't select seats.
Yes you can. Book an Airtran flight through Southwest.com and you certainly can select seats. I have done it at least a dozen times.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:17 am

The Southwest website says seat selection is still available (for what that's worth):

Is it possible to purchase an advanced seat assignment for the AirTran segment of an itinerary that was purchased via Southwest channels?

Seat assignments will be available for purchase for itineraries marketed via Southwest booking channels that contain an AirTran segment. You will be offered the option to purchase an assigned seat on the AirTran-operated portion of a mixed itinerary.

The option to purchase an assigned seat will be made available to you on the confirmation page upon completion of your booking at southwest.com, as well as in the confirmation e-mail you should receive post-purchase. You can also retrieve your itinerary at southwest.com up to 24 hours prior to your flight’s scheduled departure time and purchase a seat assignment for the AirTran-operated portion of a mixed itinerary.
Probably worth a call to see if that's now changed.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:40 am
Original Poster

The Southwest website says seat selection is still available (for what that's worth):

Probably worth a call to see if that's now changed.
As A-List I have never had to pay for seat selection. The prices are listed but I'm not charged. I can confirm this as late as yesterday.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
I am A-list and A+ Elite and can confirm that seats can be selected, even on WGA fares and even if purchased on southwest.com. I have probably done this 20 times, but one caveat, I have not been on an AirTran leg for 2 weeks.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
No, that's not true.

My experience has been with a non-elite at either airline on a WGA fare and the seat was assigned by AirTran at check-in. But this may have been old information, we haven't flown AirTran for at least a year now. Elites and BS/AT fares apparently are also different for seat selection.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by robbert
My experience has been with a non-elite at either airline on a WGA fare and the seat was assigned by AirTran at check-in. But this may have been old information, we haven't flown AirTran for at least a year now. Elites and BS/AT fares apparently are also different for seat selection.
Non-elite booked via Southwest flying on AirTran can pick their seat but they will have to pay the seat selection fee.

Originally you just ended up with whatever was auto assigned at checkin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.