Wiki Posts
Search

Flight just got canceled

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Flight just got canceled

I just got a text a little bit ago saying my flight that leaves from BWI going to MDW was canceled...a whole 6 hours before takeoff. So I called and they put me on the next flight tomorrow (Sunday 8/24) that gets me in about 2 hours later. It's not ruining my day but it's making it slightly more inconvenient.

They asked if they could do anything else for me so of course I said yes I would like to get some compensation for my troubles and the late notice, and she said they don't give comp for any delay or cancellation for any reason. I know that's false because in the past I've been comped for most non-weather or non-FAA mandated delays/cancellations. She said I could call the 214 number M-F and try my luck.

Oh, she said it was a maintenance issue with the plane that was going to take us on the flight that got canceled. I'm not thrilled. I know things happen but I'd like to see better treatment for those of us that fly weekly on WN.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:00 am

Customer Service is not authorized to issue any compensation - except in rare baggage issues. If you choose to cancel your reservation because the cxl flight, they can do a full refund. Customer Relations (214) is the only one that will discuss any option for compensation.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:48 am

You're getting in a couple of hours later. Big deal. Quit whining and accept it as a part of travel instead of scheming how you're going to get compensation for a minor issue.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There were also significant storms going through Chicago yesterday may have caused some back-ups for WN with all their flights there. Could have also been a factor in decision to cancel.

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 24, 2014 at 7:29 am
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Be happy you got the notice 6 hours ahead and can spend those extra 2 hours at home, rather than sitting an extra 2 hours in airport. Sounds like a win win situation since you aren't all that inconvenienced.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:24 am

I'm curious... what is it that you're expecting for compensation for arriving two hours later than expected? A voucher, drink coupons? Since you fly weekly (with ALP and CP), a voucher has little value to you and you probably have enough drink coupons? Or are you looking for a refund (which you'll never get)?

I gotta agree with the post above mine. Two hours is nothing. Should be nothing new to you if you travel that much. If I sought compensation every time I was inconvenienced for a couple hours I'd I would have no time to sleep.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While OP can certainly pursue this through Customer Relations during regular business hours and CR may toss a bone to deal with a customer whine, OP needs to step back and consider whether a 2-hour delay warrants anything.

Would OP prefer to be sitting at the gate and then be told that the flight is cancelled? And, then perhaps not have space on the next flight?

I don't like WN and don't fly WN unless there are zero alternatives, but this strikes me as good customer service.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: LTP, PP
My God, you actually GOT a TEXT and NOTICE of a delay or cancellation from the notification system? Do you believe in miracles? My guess is that WN has data plan where they have to pay per text and therefore only send them out for the more important issues such as cancellations...

Honestly, I'd be overjoyed to get such news BEFORE I checked out of the hotel, left work early, turned the rental car in & pulled into the airport. My last cancellation notice (Jet Blue) came at 11 PM for a pushed back SJC 2 AM red eye that had left JFK some 3 hours earlier. I guess it took those idiots 3 hours to figure out that no one was going to stay up and provision a plane for a return trip at 1 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:13 pm

If the airline texted me that my flight was delayed or cancelled I would be overjoyed and accept the later flight. Big deal so I get to my destination 2 hours later unless there was an important meeting etc I would be glad to get some extra sleep.

I was on Delta from SJC-LAX and my text said my flight would be 45 minutes late so I waited in the lounge and just showed up as the plane was getting ready to board.

People like the OP still like to Wine when the airlines tell them they are delayed. Yes you heard me Wine(not Whine). They just get too fed up when someone is doing them a favor letting them know about the delay and changing their flight for them without waiting in a long line at the airport.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
If the airline texted me that my flight was delayed or cancelled I would be overjoyed and accept the later flight. Big deal so I get to my destination 2 hours later unless there was an important meeting etc I would be glad to get some extra sleep.
Odd...in the repeat thread you started today on SJC counters, you made it clear that a delay of a few minutes was completely unacceptable to you. So which is it?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
If I show up on my WGA ticket for a flight two hours early, Southwest is going to charge me one or two hundred dollars. How come when their plans for me (or the OP) change they shouldn't throw us something as a courtesy.

And yes I agree two hours is minor as far as inconveniences go, and at least the OP was notified in advanced. I do chuckle that folks consider the notification to be a minor miracle - has Southwest really dropped the bar that low these days?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by gooseman13
I do chuckle that folks consider the notification to be a minor miracle - has Southwest really dropped the bar that low these days?
As far as overall text/phone flight notification, IMO, yes.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:24 pm

Location: Inland Empire, semi-regularly going between LAX/ONT/SNA and IND/STL
Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by smmrfld
You're getting in a couple of hours later. Big deal. Quit whining and accept it as a part of travel instead of scheming how you're going to get compensation for a minor issue.
This is the kind of thinking that hinders all human progress.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by BerenErchamion
This is the kind of thinking that hinders all human progress.
Drama much? You crack me up.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:15 pm

Not much sympathy from me.

I learned my UA flight was cancelled approximately 90 minutes before its scheduled departure time.

I was happy to get home the same day, no thanks to UA, but big thanks to FT members on the UA board.

Here is the thread:
ORD-SPI Flight Canceled With no Same-Day Rebooking Available - Other Options/Refund?

Last edited by Amicus; Aug 24, 2014 at 9:17 pm Reason: oops, can't post it as a link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.