Wiki Posts
Search

Question on COS extra seat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Question on COS extra seat

Does the Extra seat need to be purchased on the same internery or can it be added after the original purchase using XS for the middle name?

The reason being is wanted to pay with points for the flight however do not have enough points for 2 round trips

So was curious could I book using points, than book again with XS as the middle name paying with a credit card, than getting that refunded after the flight?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: HH Gold, UAL SP, Marriott PL, National Excecutive Elite, SWA A+
Yes, this does work. Try to keep the confirmation numbers separate and check in with the counter and make sure they know you want to use the reward ticket as your flight.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by willyt25
Yes, this does work. Try to keep the confirmation numbers separate and check in with the counter and make sure they know you want to use the reward ticket as your flight.
*UPDATE*

Spoke to southwest and they told me I can go online and book it myself and just put XS as the middle name, so I did that

Last edited by john398; Aug 13, 2014 at 12:18 pm
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
My designated companion for CP has XS as the middle initial(s).
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:25 pm

I have done exactly as you described on more than one occasion. In my experience this sometimes causes headaches for the employees at check-in or at the gate, but eventually, after initially insisting it can't be done, and sometimes after asking a supervisor for help, they always get it sorted out.

Just today, I called and was able to book my second seat in a way that the phone agent assures me will eliminate problems, as it is linked to my original reservation. I'll find out in a few weeks if she was right.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
My daughter just texted me about a larger man who "paid for an extra seat" was "forced to give it up" since it was fully booked and apparently created a fuss about it. They left 25 minutes late although there was an aircraft swap too but no posted delay because of that. I'll have to get details when she returns, I thought they were free now no matter what...
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
My daughter just texted me about a larger man who "paid for an extra seat" was "forced to give it up" since it was fully booked and apparently created a fuss about it. They left 25 minutes late although there was an aircraft swap too but no posted delay because of that. I'll have to get details when she returns, I thought they were free now no matter what...
I wonder if he was a marginal COS?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I wonder if he was a marginal COS?
I have never been shy about the fact that I consider myself a "marginal" COS. The problem is that I have started to lose a bit of weight and have even become a little less marginal.

Since I buy my XS with my CP by declaring myself as my own companion, it may lead to a different level of scrutiny. I may get more, I may get less or it may not matter. I do not know.

I do know this. I am quite likely to lose CP in 2015 due to my greatly reduced amount of travel. Right now I only have the Business card so I think I could apply for the personal as it was three years ago that I gave it up. Anyway, the new COS policy sort of makes my use of CP redundant, and I have no companion that could fly regularly.

Bottom line: Should WN decide that I am no longer a qualifying COS and I lose CP (and A-list preferred as well), then I will certainly start flying more on other airlines in the few times I fly on my reduced schedule.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:30 pm

I was wondering if the FA thought the person was not really a COS.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I was wondering if the FA thought the person was not really a COS.
I intend to grill my daughter about it on Monday and pull out what I can being she's only 17 and not the fanatical flyers we are. Yet another delayed WN flight, a plane swapped out of ISP (no respect, seems to happen here a lot) and this was fairly early in the day. It was probably full & oversold since she pulled C17 at the T+20 minutes mark...

Congrats on your weight loss INK, don't forget if you have the Premier version you can get some extra TCP points that way too.

Last edited by joshua362; Aug 16, 2014 at 7:52 am
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:33 pm

Just to conclude, my daughter came home tonight and was in the opposite row (middle) to the COS on the aisle. She said he was huge, one of his thighs was the size of both of hers.

The plane must have been oversold by 1 and they were trying to accommodate a father & son without splitting them up (this was a MCO flight). A FA approached him and asked if he give up his extra seat for a refund. He grumbled something like "what's the point of buying two then" but quickly agreed. His very small kid was already in the window and his other small kid joined him from the row behind where he was seating with his mother. She said both kids could fit easily in one seat so comfort probably wasn't a big issue.

I'm sure being a parent and helping out another parent played a large (no pun intended) in this but I thought COS's get a free 2nd seat now irregardless. Maybe he doesn't know the drill being a Disney only flyer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.