Search

Tips to achieve A-List Preferred EOY

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlatinum
Tips to achieve A-List Preferred EOY

Hey guys,

So in August I will be using WN for all weekly intra-CA travel. I recently purchased my tix during their fare sale and will have 42 qualifying segments by the 3rd week of December. And since it's almost all intra-CA travel, I'll only have like 17,000 points.

I know I'll make A-List no problem, but to be only 8 segments away from A-List preferred, that is frustrating! So my question is two-fold, are the benefits of A-list preferred over A-list worth trying to find time in my schedule for 8 segments? And if so...what's the easiest/cheapest way to do that? I know it won't be on long "mileage runs" but rather a bunch of quick trips.

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by splatkid10
So my question is two-fold, are the benefits of A-list preferred over A-list worth trying to find time in my schedule for 8 segments? And if so...what's the easiest/cheapest way to do that? I know it won't be on long "mileage runs" but rather a bunch of quick trips.
I think the benefits are worth it. The extra points are nice, especially if booking BS/AT fares.

Not sure what your home airport is, but if it's in SoCal, you could probably do LA/BUR/ONT-LAS relatively cheaply. If you do BUR-LAS-BUR you could probably do a turn in three hours. Mix it up with a weekend in the Bay Area or Phoenix and you're in good shape.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
BUR-SMF 52$ OWs.....I believe this is cheapest run currently. 3 hour RT....I've done this.....

Personally, depending on your 2015 travel planes, the 75 percent bump in points could be worth $416 alone.....

Hey guys,

So in August I will be using WN for all weekly intra-CA travel. I recently purchased my tix during their fare sale and will have 42 qualifying segments by the 3rd week of December. And since it's almost all intra-CA travel, I'll only have like 17,000 points.

I know I'll make A-List no problem, but to be only 8 segments away from A-List preferred, that is frustrating! So my question is two-fold, are the benefits of A-list preferred over A-list worth trying to find time in my schedule for 8 segments? And if so...what's the easiest/cheapest way to do that? I know it won't be on long "mileage runs" but rather a bunch of quick trips.

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
If you will be continuing to fly that frequently in 2015, then the A+ will be worth the effort and expense to achieve.

The 100% bonus on your points and the free internet (on aircraft so equipped and working) are the attractions. You will also get a somewhat better boarding pass number, but this is of little benefit on your short intra-California flights.

You will need to make a mileage run---LAX to SJC or OAK have frequent flights at $59. So does SAN or BUR to LAS. You might be able to get 8 segments flown in one 18 hour day. However, beware of Southwest's horrible on-time performance. One major delay in a mileage run could really mess up your day. I would do some research on the historic delays on your various optional origins and destinations. And I would fly on a midweek day after September 2nd, to avoid the weekend leisure flyers who tend to slow things down.

Last edited by dlaue; Jul 18, 2014 at 12:44 pm
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:56 pm

A+ is worth it. Change some of your flights to BS and that should put you over the top.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Disneymkvii
A+ is worth it. Change some of your flights to BS and that should put you over the top.
I think given my low # of TQP, I'd have to change a fair amount to BS...cheaper to do a mileage run...though I'll have to do it on a weekend...hmmm.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Question

I think given my low # of TQP, I'd have to change a fair amount to BS...cheaper to do a mileage run...though I'll have to do it on a weekend...hmmm.
only worth it if younare flying alot in 2015 (for the 100% point bonus vs 25%). if you only earned 17k tqp for 2014, extrapolated to say 25k by the end of the year, that means you will only earn about $400-500 worth of extra points next year if your flying remains the same.

Any way you can turn some of your flights into two one ways instead of 1 nonstop?
adding one segment per trip sounds like it might be better for your schedule than committing a whole weekend as a mileage

flights lax-las-sfo instead of lax-sfo for example
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700
only worth it if younare flying alot in 2015 (for the 100% point bonus vs 25%). if you only earned 17k tqp for 2014, extrapolated to say 25k by the end of the year, that means you will only earn about $400-500 worth of extra points next year if your flying remains the same.

Any way you can turn some of your flights into two one ways instead of 1 nonstop?
adding one segment per trip sounds like it might be better for your schedule than committing a whole weekend as a mileage

flights lax-las-sfo instead of lax-sfo for example
Yes I will only earn 17k TQP in 2014, but that's only for 4 1/2 months of travel. Extrapolate out to the whole year....~45k TQP...so then $1200 to $1500 worth of extra points...?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Yes I will only earn 17k TQP in 2014, but that's only for 4 1/2 months of travel. Extrapolate out to the whole year....~45k TQP...so then $1200 to $1500 worth of extra points...?
up till earlier this year points were valued at 60/$1 of travel. Now they are 70/$1 of travel, so 45k points is redeemable for $642 of WGA travel.

A-list preferred may also get you nominated for TSA-Pre by Southwest whenever/if ever they do another sweep of accounts. This is worth something as well (I think TSA charges $85/yr to sign up directly).
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
up till earlier this year points were valued at 60/$1 of travel. Now they are 70/$1 of travel, so 45k points is redeemable for $642 of WGA travel.

A-list preferred may also get you nominated for TSA-Pre by Southwest whenever/if ever they do another sweep of accounts. This is worth something as well (I think TSA charges $85/yr to sign up directly).

Seems strange to me. I'm A+ past 3 years.... 140+ flights....no pre check nom

I'm a known guy.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:25 am

Isn't it $85 for 5 years? Global entry is $100 for 5 years
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:55 am

First the best option is 4 fun weekend getaways to complete your qualifications. That's only 1 a month. Visit family or friends, go to LAS or a ball game or something.

Not knowing your routes and not being familiar with your preferences and the Intra-CA flights I somewhat speculating.

Another option might be to change 8 of your flights to "Open Jaw", with two segments. If any of your flights already include a connection just separate them into two flights. However I imagine most of your flights are non-stop. If you have to change from non stop to connecting flights it will take longer and there is some risk of IIROPS but you wouldn't be making unnecessary trips.

Say for example your return flight is currently scheduled to leave at 5:00 PM and get you in at 6:30 PM. You might be able to find a short hop and a connecting flight that gets you in at 10:00 PM. If you book those as two separate flights is will cost more and there is some risk of IIRPOS but you will add the segments you need to make A+. Look at your routes and see if there are flights with a connection and the book the two segments separately.

I tried it on a couple of my routes and seems like it can work, but I've never done this.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, PC
OP, if you have WN CC, you can get 1500 TQP for each $10K in spend to top off your status.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by baxterboy12
OP, if you have WN CC, you can get 1500 TQP for each $10K in spend to top off your status.
I don't believe this helps.....(?)

He's going for "segments" to achieve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.