Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow--UA FC fares vs WN fares DEN--PIT

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I must admit that I have underestimated the importance of the "no change fee" policy to WN regulars, but don't folks get bitten by the upfare requirement at times?
Here is the reason that the no change fee works so well for me. I cannot firm up a schedule until about 3 weeks out, but often have a general idea much further out. When there is a good sale, I book 10-12 round trips. I will cancel at least 1/2 of them and use the others. The ones I use are paid for by the previously cancelled ones. Or sometimes I am fairly sure which day I want to leave when the sale is going, but not so sure when I want to return. I will book 2-3 different return days and cancel them at the last minute.

So, I rarely 'change', but I am constantly cancelling.

If the free cancel goes away, I would immediately be moving to AA.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:50 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I must admit that I have underestimated the importance of the "no change fee" policy to WN regulars, but don't folks get bitten by the upfare requirement at times?
I can't remember the last time I paid the fare increment. Maybe never. Unless you count the times I inadvertently booked a trip in the reverse direction (a hidden hazard of booking only one-way tickets during expiring sales).

I have been noting that many UA, AA and DL regulars on FT are also taking note of the relatively low incremental differences between Y and F fares on their respective airlines and booking those tickets.
The airlines are trying to monetize seats they formerly gave away as free upgrades. Good for paying customers and bad for cheapskates like us.

Originally Posted by lougord99
Here is the reason that the no change fee works so well for me. I cannot firm up a schedule until about 3 weeks out, but often have a general idea much further out. When there is a good sale, I book 10-12 round trips. I will cancel at least 1/2 of them and use the others. The ones I use are paid for by the previously cancelled ones. Or sometimes I am fairly sure which day I want to leave when the sale is going, but not so sure when I want to return. I will book 2-3 different return days and cancel them at the last minute.

So, I rarely 'change', but I am constantly cancelling.

This. Southwest knows this goes on, and they rely on it to some extent. Those unused funds lock us in to buying more trips from Southwest. The cycle never ends.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99

Ditto.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Those unused funds lock us in to buying more trips from Southwest. The cycle never ends.
And I am quite happy to be indentured to Southwest.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:31 pm

I basically book out as far as WN has published fares for. Then cancel trips I don't need or change to the ones I do. Ends up saving a lot of money.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:13 pm
Suspended

It seems that WN now uses Flyertalk posts to market their brand. I've got news for you - THE BLOOM IS OFF THE ROSE. It has been for some time.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:27 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
I've got news for you - THE BLOOM IS OFF THE ROSE. It has been for some time.
I think Southwest and its employees are very well aware of this.

Back when load factors and fares were low and Southwest was giving away its fuel hedge gains to customers, everything was sweetness and light here on FT. Times have changed for many reasons. Southwest has made some great moves and some poor ones. Our job is to help them assess which are which.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Then I need a raise for doing my job so well. But let me put in a little overtime:
1.Business class is a sham. Seats are the same seats.
2.Boarding process is only good if you are A group or upper B group.

The problem is that WN doesn't care what people think. They are going to use their model from decades ago, and stick to the plan, and let the chips fall where they may.

EVEN SPIRIT has bigger seats. And I don't consider them an airline.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:35 pm

It seems that WN now uses Flyertalk posts to market their brand.
You still seem to be part of the group that feels " if you disagree with me you are stupid or part of a conspiracy" .

I have never understood the concept that there are no legitimate opinions that disagree with me.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:37 pm

Then I need a raise for doing my job so well. But let me put in a little overtime:
1.Business class is a sham. Seats are the same seats.
2.Boarding process is only good if you are A group or upper B group.

The problem is that WN doesn't care what people think. They are going to use their model from decades ago, and stick to the plan, and let the chips fall where they may.

EVEN SPIRIT has bigger seats. And I don't consider them an airline.
All legitimate complaints, except that the last time I looked, Spirit was an airline.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Or vice-versa. What you describe is a two way street. Unfair to push upon me.

So conversely, you would have to agree - my opinion is legitimate.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:44 pm

Or vice-versa. What you describe is a two way street. Unfair to push upon me.

So conversely, you would have to agree - my opinion is legitimate.
I just said your opinion is legitimate. WN has many flaws. Delta has many flaws. WN works best for me. That doesn't make me stupid or a WN employee as you have insinuated many times since Airtran was consumed.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:46 pm
Suspended

I don't think that I directed any comments at YOU directly. Nevertheless, it is very prevalent on FT what is going on - as far as the marketing.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:58 pm

I don't think that I directed any comments at YOU directly. Nevertheless, it is very prevalent on FT what is going on - as far as the marketing.
Huh????

Please speak in plain English. Just what conspiracy is FT propagating?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Not this again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.