Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New twist to family boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:44 am
Original Poster

New twist to family boarding

Was on a flight from Sacramento to Burbank. I had a Business Select seat. A-14. In front of me was a couple with 6 children. The age range was mid teens down to about 8 years old. The parents had business select seats. All the kids were in the C group. When I got on the plane the fist two rows were filled with this family. Pretty smart to pay the extra bucks for the parents and then have the kids board with them on lower priced tickets. Did not bother me since on this flight I head directly to the very back of the plane since you can get off in Burbank at the back of the plane.There was some major grumbling in the A16-20 group. After all it was only an hour flight
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Hum..............we all know how family boarding is "supposed" to work. Do you think it was not enforced because the parents were BS or are rogue GAs not following proper procedure?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:37 am

That's BS.

I guess it would have been a smart move to upgrade to business select boarding at the gate if the kids were under 7, but not in this situation. If the GA wanted to follow proper protocol, she should have turned them away since the kids were over 7.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by hiker72
That's BS.

I guess it would have been a smart move to upgrade to business select boarding at the gate if the kids were under 7, but not in this situation. If the GA wanted to follow proper protocol, she should have turned them away since the kids were over 7.
FYI: Family Boarding is (officially) 1 adult and 1 child 4 years or younger (not 7).

Do families get to preboard?
An adult traveling with a child four years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the "A" group has boarded and before the "B" group begins boarding. However, those Customers holding an "A" boarding pass should still board with the "A" boarding group.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ursine1
FYI: Family Boarding is (officially) 1 adult and 1 child 4 years or younger (not 7).
seems kind of young to let a 5 yo to board in a different group? Anyway I guess the parent should just board with the later group than
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by john398
seems kind of young to let a 5 yo to board in a different group? Anyway I guess the parent should just board with the later group than
Yes, officially that's how it's supposed to work.

Can groups assigned to different boarding positions board together?
Yes. However, in order to maintain the integrity of the boarding process, we ask that earlier boarding positions board with the later positions. For example, if a passenger is assigned position A16 and wants to board with a passenger assigned position A45, the passenger holding the A16 boarding pass should board with the A45 passenger.
To mitigate the issue, the parent can check their children in right at t-24, or buy them EBCI, or in the OP's case, buy the $40 gate upgrade (if available), which will increase the likelihood of them receiving better boarding positions (in the case of the $40 upgrade, guarantee it).

Parents with BS together with children without is an odd situation. It seems likely the parents though it was ok to bring their kids with them in A1-15, otherwise why did they bother to buy BS at all? A more common (and perhaps more sympathetic) situation is A-List parents with non-a-list children.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:59 am

I've always thought that was kind of young myself.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
A more common (and perhaps more sympathetic) situation is A-List parents with non-a-list children.
Great question. I've always wondered about this myself. Would they let young children board with me?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:26 am

I agree.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by hiker72
Great question. I've always wondered about this myself. Would they let young children board with me?
No. If the child is over 4, I'm AList, and I've been A List for years, I board with the child's boarding pass, even if it's C........

Obviously it sucks. But it be what it be......
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
It doesn't really matter, the parents could board in BS and save two rows, and let the 14-year old lead the rest of the litter on board.

Not that it matters, it wasn't like they took the exit rows.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
I am A+. When my 4 year old granddaughter is with me, I have her board with me in my A position and have never had a problem with the gate agent.

However, we do not take the "premium" seats up front or, obviously, in the emergency exit rows. We take the non-reclining seats just in front of the emergency exit and save the center seat for grandma, when she boards with her number (usually a high A or low B).
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by dlaue
I am A+. When my 4 year old granddaughter is with me, I have her board with me in my A position and have never had a problem with the gate agent.

However, we do not take the "premium" seats up front or, obviously, in the emergency exit rows. We take the non-reclining seats just in front of the emergency exit and save the center seat for grandma, when she boards with her number (usually a high A or low B).
Because she's 4. Good luck at 7. GAs won't have it. Personal experience
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boraxo
It doesn't really matter, the parents could board in BS and save two rows, and let the 14-year old lead the rest of the litter on board.

Save 2 rows? Wow.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Tell that to the people who paid the $12.50 per segment EB or $40 BS boarding position fees. Once WN decided to monetize the boarding process, create perceived value, such practices should no longer be considered acceptable, allowed.

What is the benefit of exit rows in Devolve cabin seating?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.