Wiki Posts
Search

Anyones chase card get "hacked"?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Anyones chase card get "hacked"?

My southwest card waw stolen but I only use it to buy tickets. I was wondering if it was a case / WN leak or they got lucky with the number generator.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
No idea how they get the numbers but doubt its a wide spread leak. I have 2 Chase Marriott cards that routinely (yearly) get hacked and an Amex card I have to swap out every 6 months. Time after time. Yet I have 20+ other cards with no problems...
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by poser
My southwest card waw stolen but I only use it to buy tickets. I was wondering if it was a case / WN leak or they got lucky with the number generator.
That happened to someone I know twice in succession, and he also only used the card to buy tickets. However, this was a couple years ago.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by poser
My southwest card waw stolen but I only use it to buy tickets.
Originally Posted by fwoomp
That happened to someone I know twice in succession, and he also only used the card to buy tickets.
Buy tickets how/where? There are other ways to steal card numbers, especially if you buy tickets any other way than through a wired (or secured Wi-Fi) connection at home, using a computer with good internet security. (I keep hearing people in public places give card numbers vocally over the phone, and I keep seeing people in public places doing online shopping with other people able to look over their shoulder. And my internet security program warns me of attacks it thwarted on hotel wifi systems periodically. If I didn't have that internet security program, would they have been able to grab my credit card as I typed it?)
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Yes, happened to me too, two weeks ago.

New account - only days old - only purchased tickets from a wired home connection.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:08 pm

Yep, one of my WN Chase cards was hacked earlier this month. Chase let me know about it right when the fraudulent charges started showing up. Just got my new cards in the mail.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I found fraudulent charges on mine in January and got them cleared and the account number changed. After the change a ticket broker called and asked about some super bowl tickets that I had bought and the card was not good. I was not particularly worried about the call as if you have my name you can get my number.

I happens and may be just bad luck and not something specific to Chase.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:33 am

I had a charge at Walmart of all places declined but it was me and nothing crazy as far as a purchase.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jonathansullivan
Yes, happened to me too, two weeks ago.

New account - only days old - only purchased tickets from a wired home connection.
I wonder if somehow your card got compromised in the mail and than after you Verified you received it than it was used fraudulently
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Mine was part of the Target thing, but I did not have any unauthorized charges.

But what un-nerved me was how many places that I went to update with my new card info that ALREADY HAD the new number. W-T-Foock, Chase!? How is that supposed to be secure, if YOU (the bank) are GIVING OUT my bleeping card number to merchants? How do they know that it just might be my chosen opportunity to stop that auto-billing relationship with these vendors?!

Seriously, it bothers/ed me alot that it happened that way...
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:04 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
My wife and I both had are respective cards hacked recently. After talking with chase security I got feeling it was more of a system wide issue than individual cards getting hacked.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:41 pm

happened to me today
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: None
Last week, a $12 charge from Brazil was stopped. I got an email and text. I called, some outsourced lady from India stopped the card and another one was reissued. They could have express mailed it, but i did not want my home address linked, so it was snail mailed to my PO Box, just received this morning. Funny thing is I received two cards, one with the old number and another with the new account listed on my online statement.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: SPG-Gold, Amex-Plat., AA-Plat.
Happened to me July 4th. Got the text and called , both charges were declined. They closed the account and are sending me a new card.
One was at CVS and one a beauty supply store. Neither over $100.00
very odd.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I think chase has a data leak. Not the WN one but my GFs Slate card had 2 fraud alerts over the weekend. She had never used the CC before and its locked up so its not like someone skimmed the number or anything like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.