Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN press release: Amadeus IT will be single source for reservations, eventually

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

http://southwest.investorroom.com/in...s=43&item=1889

Says it will take several years to transition completely.

Anyone know if this means the silly IT errors we see all the time might decrease, eventually?

Oops...
Old May 5, 2014, 9:55 am

I would imagine the time frame is due to the retraining that will need to take place and they'll run both systems side by side. Based on experience in deploying new CRM application in the past, I would imagine we are talking about training courses that would take about a week. So they'll only be able to pull so many people off the phones at a time to do that.
Old May 5, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I was under the impression that this has been the plan going all the way back to when they first announced that they would have to adopt a new reservation system for international flying? Or was that just everybody speculating?
Old May 5, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List & CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyventure
I would imagine the time frame is due to the retraining that will need to take place and they'll run both systems side by side. Based on experience in deploying new CRM application in the past, I would imagine we are talking about training courses that would take about a week. So they'll only be able to pull so many people off the phones at a time to do that.
Southwest built a new front end called CS2 that sits in front of the reservation system and airport users of the SAAS system, thus little to no retraining should be required of the airport users.

I *think* that reservations (CS&S) moved to CS2 from their former QIK solution and, if that transition has already taken place, they should also not require much, if any, retraining of the reservations (CS&S) team members.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by alggag
I was under the impression that this has been the plan going all the way back to when they first announced that they would have to adopt a new reservation system for international flying? Or was that just everybody speculating?
The previous decision was only for International. They said a decision on domestic would be made later. I always thought it was a negotiating tactic to make the final deal.
Old May 5, 2014, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by bobcollie
Southwest built a new front end called CS2 that sits in front of the reservation system and airport users of the SAAS system, thus little to no retraining should be required of the airport users.

I *think* that reservations (CS&S) moved to CS2 from their former QIK solution and, if that transition has already taken place, they should also not require much, if any, retraining of the reservations (CS&S) team members.
From what I was just told CS2 is airport side only, domestic CS&S is still QIK using the old Braniff/Sabre SAAS system, and International CS&S that is on Amadeus has an HTML interface. So there is no uniformity between any of the systems, but I guess airport operations will always require something different than those in reservations.

From the sounds of it the transition time period they are talking is in years - go figure.
Old May 5, 2014, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by flyventure
From the sounds of it the transition time period they are talking is in years - go figure.
Sabre "is still under contract with Southwest, and will be compensated for its reservation system for all domestic flights through December 31, 2016."
Old May 6, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by alggag
It was speculation at the time but not unexpected. They were essentially giving Amadeus a test period before they signed up for the whole network.. Apparently they passed. Carriers don't operate two systems in tandem for their flights other then the Japanese for international vs domestic.
Old May 6, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Sabre "is still under contract with Southwest, and will be compensated for its reservation system for all domestic flights through December 31, 2016."
Takes a lot of time to cut over so no surprise. Let's also be clear SW is not currently operating on the Sabre system. They operate on an old system Sabre took over to maintain for them. Entirely different kind of deal then the typical hosted reservations system that resides in a Sabre partition.
Old May 12, 2014, 8:20 pm

Is new rez system a precursor to significant changes down the road for WN?

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...Top+Stories%29
Old May 12, 2014, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by mke9499
Is new rez system a precursor to significant changes down the road for WN?

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...Top+Stories%29

I think so. Southwest is very likely to create a new cheaper 'UNBUNDLED' fare class. Frontier has already shown the way.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
More WN/Amadeus news:

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/airl...agreement.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.