Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW calls to change my flight.....

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 10:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
SW calls to change my flight.....

Here's the scenario.....

Booked vacation flight LAS to PBI two OWs......

Back in Feb when schedule came out. On points. Think it's not quite a full 3 day trip

The return was leave PBI arrive 555 pm. Stop in ATL, back in LAS 1035 pm. Seemed great. Get full day almost on beaches

Received a VM. Flight no longer exists, we've been move to leave PBI 1130 am. Stop in BWI. Arrive LAS 730

1. Does this happen often?

2. These don't see to be very "like" travel plans, as the only option, seems to me to incur another night hotel and car to make this worth the trip. 1130am vs 555pm is a full beach day.

3. Is it out of the question for me to request a small voucher to help cover the hotel cost? Going PBI-BWI-LAS vs PBI-ATL-LAS are huge difference IMO

I normally fly up and down the west coast, 1-2 times WN across the country

Thoughts on the above please
Old May 2, 2014, 10:39 am

That sounds like a pretty big change. I've never had one that big.

Are there any better flights? I'd call CS and see if they can do something more convenient.
Old May 2, 2014, 10:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
That sounds like a pretty big change. I've never had one that big.

Are there any better flights? I'd call CS and see if they can do something more convenient.
There's not. I've done the research, they've said same. They agree it's not a normal amount in time change. CS agent "Wow. That's not normal." I can fly FLL at same time as original PBI. But that's a drive, drop off car $$$ different.....I guess been with all that said, the ease of use is to fly in and out of PBI....

It was AirTran. PBI to ATL both ways I believe. Then WN to LAS. Booked on WN site with WN pts
Old May 2, 2014, 10:44 am

Looks like they're cutting back that route to one flight a day later in the summer. What date?

They won't give you anything towards a hotel, but you should be able to cancel for full refund. (edit: Sorry, just noticed it's points, so refund is irrelevant.)
Old May 2, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I'm thinking that this may have been the result of WN's efforts to tackle their terrible on time performance but that instead of adjusting the schedule by a few minutes they just totally wiped out an ATL-PBI-ATL turn.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:02 am

You could switch both flights to FLL. It's only about 50 miles further.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Since ATL is no longer a "hub" and AirTran is going away, these types of changes should be expected. On an award ticket, there's very little recourse if times have changed significantly.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by formeraa
Since ATL is no longer a "hub" and AirTran is going away, these types of changes should be expected. On an award ticket, there's very little recourse if times have changed significantly.
I disagree. Southwest has had years to plan this transition and they only published the current schedule a couple of months ago. Minor adjustments are expected, but they shouldn't be canceling flights after the schedule is published.
Old May 2, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: US Silver, WN, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
OP- What dates are you travelling?
Old May 2, 2014, 2:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ERAU_MBA_Student
OP- What dates are you travelling?
Dates 7/16 there

7/19 back

LAS - PBI

I realize fll is 50 mins each way. PBI is 6 mins each way. Smaller hub too. Did FLL last 3 years.....PBI in and out, is just so much simpler
Old May 2, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by antinseattle
Dates 7/16 there

7/19 back

LAS - PBI

I realize fll is 50 mins each way. PBI is 6 mins each way. Smaller hub too. Did FLL last 3 years.....PBI in and out, is just so much simpler
I'm not seeing the itinerary you say they want to put you on, just this (even worse) one:

What am I missing?
Old May 2, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
The PBI-BWI-LAS connection comes up if you manually search for it using the roundtrip trick... seems a bit odd that they wouldn't list it as the 3:35 minute layover in BWI should be okay with the booking engine.

OP: Were you originally on 3773 for PBI-ATL? I'm just trying to figure out if your flight disappeared completely or if it's the fact that it's now scheduled to arrive 10 minutes before the final ATL-LAS departs that created the problem.
Old May 2, 2014, 2:31 pm

This seems like a better option:

Old May 2, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I had a flight change notification call as well. They eliminated the ATL stop and instead have me connecting through BWI.

I can't claim to be affected at all by this--Same exact departure time, same final arrival time. The new flight # to BWI is only one number higher than my original (1806 vs 1805).

WAS:
Wed Jul 02
1806 Depart ARUBA, REINA BEATRIX, AW at 3:50PM
Arrive in ATLANTA, HARTSFIELD JACKSON ATL at 8:05PM
297 Change planes in ATLANTA, HARTSFIELD JACKSON ATL at 9:15PM
Arrive in PITTSBURGH, INTERNATIONAL at 11:00PM
Travel Time 7 hours 10 minutes

NOW:
Wed Jul 02
1805 Depart ARUBA, REINA BEATRIX, AW at 3:50PM
Arrive in WASHINGTON, BALT/WASH INTL at 8:25PM
128 Change planes in WASHINGTON, BALT/WASH INTL at 10:00PM
Arrive in PITTSBURGH, INTERNATIONAL at 11:00PM
Travel Time 7 hours 10 minutes
Old May 2, 2014, 6:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So I went and checked. It is 11:30 am. Land in Vegas 7:40. It's on my list. Yes, the American flight is a better option, BUT original was booked at 8,800 pts and I'm CP......so when booked basically considered two of us for 150$ OW....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.