Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Pass Name Change

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Companion Pass Name Change

I was wondering how long it takes for a change of Companion to take affect. Can I call to change the companion and at the same time book a companion ticket for my new companion.

I have a flight booked with my existing companion and I may want to fly with a different companion 1 or 2 days later.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by holocker
I was wondering how long it takes for a change of Companion to take affect. Can I call to change the companion and at the same time book a companion ticket for my new companion.

I have a flight booked with my existing companion and I may want to fly with a different companion 1 or 2 days later.
The name change is essentially immediate.

Changing a Companion name will immediately cancel any and all future existing reservations for the "old" Companion.

If you have an existing CP reservation pending, do *NOT* make any changes to your Companion (i.e., trade the old one for a new one) until the last leg of that pending reservation has been completed.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:18 pm

How many times a year can you change the companion pass name?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
How many times a year can you change the companion pass name?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...2013-14-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...nion-pass.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ange-comp.html

http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...and_conditions
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:03 pm

I understand this is the rule.

The Companion Pass is not transferrable. However, the Member may change his/her designated Companion and request issuance of a new Companion Pass up to three (3) times within the validity period of the Companion Pass program
I have a question for a renewing companion pass.

Suppose I earn a Companion Pass in June. That pass will be good for about 18 months until December of the next year.

Now suppose in June of the next year I again earn a Companion pass making it good until December of the following year.

When does the new pass start, June or December? If have remaining name changes from the original pass do I lose them?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:32 am

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but "within the validity period of the Companion Pass program" seems to mean that you get three changes in all, no matter how long you hold your pass for.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by dansachs
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but "within the validity period of the Companion Pass program" seems to mean that you get three changes in all, no matter how long you hold your pass for.
You're reading it wrong.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:51 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by smmrfld
You're reading it wrong.
Or else they're writing it wrong. @:-)
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Suppose I earn a Companion Pass in June. That pass will be good for about 18 months until December of the next year.

Now suppose in June of the next year I again earn a Companion pass making it good until December of the following year.

When does the new pass start, June or December? If have remaining name changes from the original pass do I lose them?
Can anyone answer my question?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:23 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Can anyone answer my question?
A renewal CP starts January 1, right after your current pass expires.

I believe that the 3 changes limit is enforced manually, not by software.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
This is 100% correct.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
A renewal CP starts January 1, right after your current pass expires.

OK by Jaunary First of which Year?

Let us assume I qualified for a CP in 6/13 and that CP was good untill 1/15. I think that is the policy.

Let us further assume I only changed my CP once beteeen 6/13 and 5/14 leaving me 2 future chages.

Let us further assume that in 6/14 I requalified for a CP, extending my eligibility to 1/16.

Do I still have the 2 CP changes under my initial qualification before 1/15 or am I limited to the 3 chnages I acquired on 6/14?

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Apr 11, 2014 at 10:29 pm
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
OK by Jaunary First of which Year?

Let us assume I qualified for a CP in 6/13 and that CP was good untill 1/15. I think that is the policy.

Let us further assume I only changed my CP once beteeen 6/13 and 5/14 leavinge me 2 future chages.

Let us further assume that in 6/14 I requalified for a CP, extending my eligibility to 1/16.

Do I still have the 2 CP changes under my initial qualification before 1/15 or a I limited to the 3 qualifiactions I acquired on 6/14?
However, the Member may change his/her designated Companion and request issuance of a new Companion Pass up to three (3) times within the validity period of the Companion Pass program
You get three changes in the validity period. How much more simple could it be?

Oh, I forgot. No one has yet to definitively determine the meaning of the mysterious phrase "validity period," or VP. There are four possibilities. The first is easy.

1. It begins the day you first earn the CP and ends December 31 of the following year, that is if you do not qualify for CP again within the period that it is active. This is the obvious VP and is (almost) unquestionable.

2. You earn CP and it ends December 31 of the following year. During this VP, CP is again earned in the second year (known above as the following year). As one is already in a VP, the new VP does not begin until January 1 of said "following year." The VP ends on December 31 of the same year, unless it is earned once again, creating yet another calendar year VP.

3. You earn CP and it ends December 31 of the following year. During this VP, CP is again earned in the second year (known above as the following year). As the CP is defined from the point of earning until December 31 of the following year, a new VP begins upon earning of the new CP and ends December 31 of the following year, and the previous VP ends. If CP is again earned during this VP, the new VP begins immediately and the old VP once again ends.

4. You earn CP and it ends December 31 of the following year. During this VP, CP is again earned in the second year (known above as the following year). As the CP is defined from the point of earning until December 31 of the following year, you have overlapping VP's that begin when the following CP is earned and ends on December 31 of the earlier CP.

As I said, #1 is easy and without controversy. The difficulty is the consecutive earning of CP. Some will say it is #2, but there is evidence that this guideline is not strictly followed. On the other hand, some will say it is #3, but this too has evidence of not being followed strictly. I suspect it is #4 in which the CS agent that is on the line has ultimate and absolute discretion as to whether #2 or #3 will be followed.

Why do I think this? I think the phrase "validity period" has as much rigidity and definitive meaning as the phrase "any available seat."

Aisle? Window? Front? Back? At Southwest, we let you sit where you like. We don’t assign seats on our flights, so feel free to sit in any available seat once you board the plane.
What we do know is that there are 3 changes per VP and that each new CP earning gets a new designation plus the 3 changes. The problem is determining the beginning and end of the VP's. I still take #4, the discretion of the CS agent at the exact moment the question is asked.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
You get three changes in the validity period. How much more simple could it be?

Oh, I forgot. No one has yet to definitively determine the meaning of the mysterious phrase "validity period," or VP. There are four possibilities. The first is easy.

1. It begins the day you first earn the CP and ends December 31 of the following year, that is if you do not qualify for CP again within the period that it is active. This is the obvious VP and is (almost) unquestionable.

2. You earn CP and it ends December 31 of the following year. During this VP, CP is again earned in the second year (known above as the following year). As one is already in a VP, the new VP does not begin until January 1 of said "following year." The VP ends on December 31 of the same year, unless it is earned once again, creating yet another calendar year VP.

3. You earn CP and it ends December 31 of the following year. During this VP, CP is again earned in the second year (known above as the following year). As the CP is defined from the point of earning until December 31 of the following year, a new VP begins upon earning of the new CP and ends December 31 of the following year, and the previous VP ends. If CP is again earned during this VP, the new VP begins immediately and the old VP once again ends.

4. You earn CP and it ends December 31 of the following year. During this VP, CP is again earned in the second year (known above as the following year). As the CP is defined from the point of earning until December 31 of the following year, you have overlapping VP's that begin when the following CP is earned and ends on December 31 of the earlier CP.

As I said, #1 is easy and without controversy. The difficulty is the consecutive earning of CP. Some will say it is #2, but there is evidence that this guideline is not strictly followed. On the other hand, some will say it is #3, but this too has evidence of not being followed strictly. I suspect it is #4 in which the CS agent that is on the line has ultimate and absolute discretion as to whether #2 or #3 will be followed.

Why do I think this? I think the phrase "validity period" has as much rigidity and definitive meaning as the phrase "any available seat."

What we do know is that there are 3 changes per VP and that each new CP earning gets a new designation plus the 3 changes. The problem is determining the beginning and end of the VP's. I still take #4, the discretion of the CS agent at the exact moment the question is asked.
This is a great explanitation of the delema I discovered as a stratigic thinker.

I thank you and my hat's off to you .
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & CP, Delta Diamond, HH Diamond Hyatt Diamond
I know *aherm* someone who made 4 changes in one year.

Calling CS and talking nicely and saying "oops" seemed to work in this one instance.

But the general rule of thumb is 3 changes per "program period" as described in previous posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.