Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Just some positive comments on WN from a new customer.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:56 am
Original Poster

In January 2013 I signed up for the 2 credit cards to get the companion pass, having never flown WN before.

10+ flights later I am in love with this airline. I really think its the lack of rules. No hoops to jump through when you want to change. You don't need a special credit card to get free bags, or for $12.50 you can get a pretty good seat most times. Their point system couldn't be any simpler.

I wonder how many employees DL has just to enforce the rules? And how many more to write and understand? Someone needs to remind the other airlines if you can't explain it in an elevator ride....

Anyway WN has a new customer for a long time.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Howdy.

Post this in the DL forum and they'll call you names.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Give them long enough and they will come over here and call them names.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
There's a lot of sniping about WN by fans of other airlines, but for non-elites, I think WN provides a lot better experience. For example, on the legacy airlines, most of the time when I book a ticket either no seats are available or only middles, so the assigned seating does squat for me. On WN, it's been a very rare occasion that I don't have a choice of several aisle or window seats. Several months ago I had a four hour delay and they pro-actively gave me (and my family) $200 vouchers. I've never had a legacy offer me anything when a flight was cancelled or delayed, even back when I had elite status with some of them. And while not every GA and FA is a winner, overall they tend to be more helpful and pleasant that the staff at the legacies.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:52 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by djk7
most of the time when I book a ticket either no seats are available or only middles, so the assigned seating does squat for me.
The fascination some people have with advanced seating assignments really does not have a rational basis in my opinion. With other airlines you can select your seat in advance based on a seat map. With Southwest I select my seat based on what I see aboard the aircraft. I believe being aboard the aircraft provides me more information on what seat is most desirable than the information provided by a seat map.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:48 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Beckles
The fascination some people have with advanced seating assignments really does not have a rational basis in my opinion. With other airlines you can select your seat in advance based on a seat map. With Southwest I select my seat based on what I see aboard the aircraft. I believe being aboard the aircraft provides me more information on what seat is most desirable than the information provided by a seat map.
Well stated. Plus the boarding screen tells you how full the flight is, so you can select your seat according to the actual passenger load.

For example, Monday morning the load was 92 our of 143. So I selected a row near the back and ended up with all 3 seats. Nap time! For a more normal load an aisle seat near row 16 is best. For a full flight I often choose the LUV seats (row with only 2 seats) to limit the lateral squeeze. The key is being able to choose after you know the load.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Beckles
Assigned seating can be handy when you have a tight connection and boarding is mostly done by the time you reach the second flight, but overall I agree.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Howdy.

You always crack me up. Thank you ^
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
Well stated. Plus the boarding screen tells you how full the flight is, so you can select your seat according to the actual passenger load.

For example, Monday morning the load was 92 our of 143. So I selected a row near the back and ended up with all 3 seats. Nap time! For a more normal load an aisle seat near row 16 is best. For a full flight I often choose the LUV seats (row with only 2 seats) to limit the lateral squeeze. The key is being able to choose after you know the load.
Where do you see the passenger load on a boarding screen at WN? I've never noticed that. Definitely a good tip, if I can find it, thanks!

Last edited by Mbcijim10; Mar 25, 2014 at 1:26 pm
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:16 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
Where do you see the passenger load on a boarding screen at WN? I've never noticed that. Definitely a good tip, if I can find it, thanks!
There are 4 numbers in large font left to right near the top of the screen. Add the first 2 numbers (BP's issued and Through passengers). That's the load if there are zero no-shows and zero standbys. Subtract from 143 (seat count for most aircraft) and that's how many empty seats there will be. More than 20 is good. More than 50 is great.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by nsx
There are 4 numbers in large font left to right near the top of the screen. Add the first 2 numbers (BP's issued and Through passengers). That's the load if there are zero no-shows and zero standbys. Subtract from 143 (seat count for most aircraft) and that's how many empty seats there will be. More than 20 is good. More than 50 is great.
For laughs, what are the 2 other numbers? I think one is the incremental count of how many are currently on board. Whats the other?

Also, can be difficult to see at time due to the angle of the monitor and where the GA is positioned. Sometimes I feel guilty holding up the line twisting around trying to take a peek and often take a glance before lineup...
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:08 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by joshua362
For laughs, what are the 2 other numbers? I think one is the incremental count of how many are currently on board. Whats the other?

Also, can be difficult to see at time due to the angle of the monitor and where the GA is positioned. Sometimes I feel guilty holding up the line twisting around trying to take a peek and often take a glance before lineup...
One is how many BPs have been scanned. I forget the other.

Yes, sometimes you can't see the monitor. Then you can ask the FA as you enter the aircraft how many passengers there are.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
One is how many BPs have been scanned. I forget the other.

Yes, sometimes you can't see the monitor. Then you can ask the FA as you enter the aircraft how many passengers there are.
When I get to the gate (usually 40-50 minutes before departure) if the GAs are not too busy I usually ask how many passengers there are and how many thrus.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Howdy.

add the remaining four posters on the Airtran Forum. Maybe it's an Atlanta thing
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by MrMan
add the remaining four posters on the Airtran Forum. Maybe it's an Atlanta thing
Originally Posted by MrMan
Yep, customers love them, shareholders love them, just about the only ones that don't are the three remaining posters on the Airtran board.
Yourself included, then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.