Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest noob - some questions. Any advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR

Taking my first WN flight in many many years. I did some research on the current boarding process and I think I understand it. I have a 1 stop/no plane change flight from BOS to MCO. Traveling alone. Paid the early bird $12.50 since I know I will be unavailable to check in online right at T-24. Cheapest ticket class and 0 status so I am expecting a late A early B boarding - does that sound about right???

I have a cranky right knee that, if it's acting up, needs to be flexed a bit to relieve the pain so my seat preference is for a left side aisle seat. Should I just take the first aisle seat I come to on that side (assuming there is one)? Any seats to avoid?

I'll have a carry-on roller and my camera bag. Would I also be allowed a purse or do I have to combine that w/ my camera bag? Would a backpack be considered a "small" personal item if it fits under the seat or should I just check a bag?

Any other advice/suggestions?

TIA
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
2 carry on items only. You can't do the 3 things you listed so you'll have to put your purse in one of the bags. A backpack is one of the 2 items. If you need to have purse and camera bag separate; check the roller bag. You should be able to lift the roller bag to stow it above the seat; don't count on someone doing it for you.

As to which seat, take the first aisle seat on the left that you see. If there are a lot in the back [you can usually see ahead] you can head there.

What your boarding position will be depends on when you bought the earlybird, I think. I never use it, so am not 100% sure on this part.

And if you knee is really acting up, do like so many others do, get a blue early boarding pass.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:42 am

Assuming the bulkhead area is unavailable, I would take the first left side aisle seat AFTER the first four rows. Those seats are narrower than the average.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:55 am

Since you have a one stop no plane change, if you want to gamble a bit, find the closest aisle seat to the infinite leg room seat. Then once the passengers deplane hope the passenger in it gets off and hop in to it Worse comes to worse the exit row seats may clear for extra leg room.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips/advice. I can lift my own carry-on so that won't be a problem. Other than the knee, I'm 40 something and healthy so I wouldn't feel right using the priority boarding.

Courtesy wise, with open seating, is it considered rude to take an aisle seat if the window seat in that row is still empty? Of course I would get up to allow others in as needed...

Does WN usually fly full? It's a morning flight but not the first of the day. Yes I know, no crystal balls to tell that but if it's not a full flight, should I head to the back in hopes of having an empty middle seat or is the front a better option for that?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by SquarePeg
Courtesy wise, with open seating, is it considered rude to take an aisle seat if the window seat in that row is still empty? Of course I would get up to allow others in as needed...
You paid $12.50 for early bird, do not feel bad for taking a non occupied aisle seat (and a coat on an aisle seat is unoccupied). If they complain, tell them you will move for $25

I've taken aisle seats many times with a window seat open. No one will complain that regards.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Almost every WN flight I have taken for the past year [a dozen+] have been full with no spare seats. YMMV
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DebitNM
Almost every WN flight I have taken for the past year [a dozen+] have been full with no spare seats. YMMV
All the WGA seats are gone and it's during Spring Break prime time so I will expect a full flight. Sigh - seems to be the norm for all carriers these days. I wish I had known it was the "good old days" while it was happening! Do you think these will ever be tomorrow's good old days for flying?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
Never a problem to take an aisle seat even if the row is empty. I prefer window seats, you prefer aisle seats, simply no problem since you don't mind getting up.

Feel free to move to the exit rows after the count.

Enjoy the flight!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Texas Booster
Never a problem to take an aisle seat even if the row is empty. I prefer window seats, you prefer aisle seats, simply no problem since you don't mind getting up.

Feel free to move to the exit rows after the count.

Enjoy the flight!
On a different thread, folks were reporting that continuing passengers were being prohibited from changing to the exit rows after the head count. Flight attendants were saying that those seats are "premier seats" available for those boarding with BS or $40 upgrades.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Texas Booster
Never a problem to take an aisle seat even if the row is empty. I prefer window seats, you prefer aisle seats, simply no problem since you don't mind getting up...
Just don't buckle up until the row is full (or the door is closed)!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by carraher
On a different thread, folks were reporting that continuing passengers were being prohibited from changing to the exit rows after the head count. Flight attendants were saying that those seats are "premier seats" available for those boarding with BS or $40 upgrades.
Sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:33 am

[thread hijack]Last flight I was on they did not do that. So what happens if you had a BS fare and wanted to change seats(read: ultimate leg room) after the head count. Would you have to prove you had a BS fare(or $40 upgrade) on the first leg? [/thread hijack]
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by SquarePeg
I'll have a carry-on roller and my camera bag. Would I also be allowed a purse or do I have to combine that w/ my camera bag? Would a backpack be considered a "small" personal item if it fits under the seat or should I just check a bag?...
Put your purse and camera bag together in lightweight tote, like a re-useable grocery bag, and it is considered your personal item. For security reasons, stick that under the seat in front of you, rather than in the overhead.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NextTrip
Sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't.
Extremely annoying when FAs make up their own rules.

Hey, WN, we don't like that.

If this happens to you, write in and complain. They are likely to give you a $50 voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.