Wiki Posts
Search

Thank You Southwest!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:20 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Nevada1K
I believe that $5.00 September 11 Security Fee will be increasing no later than 7/1/14:
Yes. The $2.50 fee for a non-stop flight becomes $5.60. That's a 3% increase on a $50 ticket. I'm sure the other airlines like the effect this has on Southwest's core revenue.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
If you lived in Berlin, you could have spending of billions for a completely new airport (BER) *and* get to keep using the old airport (TXL)!

Berlin's Brandenburg Airport--the quietest airport in Europe!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ksuwldkat
Actually I think the rental car situation is pretty bad. You have to take a shuttle, and the rental car area seems too big for what it is. Off the top of my head, OMA, DSM, and TPA all have much better layouts. You get your bag, then walk across the street to get your car. I think TPA has one of the most user friendly airports in the country, although they have one of those automated trams, which is probably an expensive design. But their economy parking is right next to the terminal in a parking garage and is something like $7 a day. If KC could manage something like that I'd be all for it, although their history of cost overruns and poor planning do not give me much faith.
The CRAC is exactly why I don't trust the local authorities to do this right. I am generally in favor of public infrastructure but a new MCI terminal would most likely be poorly designed and overbudget.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
The CRAC is exactly why I don't trust the local authorities to do this right. I am generally in favor of public infrastructure but a new MCI terminal would most likely be poorly designed and overbudget.
The CRAC is actually an improvement over the old system of multiple shuttles to almost offsite locations. However, that is more a comment on the pitiful nature of the old system that the glorious nature of the new.

Mentioned up thread is the new SMF terminal. The old terminal was fine. The new one is larger with longer walks to everywhere and there is a huge creepy rabbit hanging sculpture in the entrance/exit atrium. I hate that rabbit. Every time I see it I wonder just how much of my facility fee paid for that ugly rabbit. The old terminal infinite stack of luggage was better, funny and more airport appropriate.

The MCI terminal is almost perfectly designed for 1980's local passengers. If you are flying to MCI from somewhere else, if you must contend with 2014 security, or if it is used as a quasi-hub as it is today, the design does not work that well. It works good enough to function. I go to the airport to get on a plane. That part works.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
I really dislike flying into and out of MCI. Pitiful airport. But otoh, I don't believe in spending mega monies on new facilities.

A whole new facility might be the right move. But it doesn't need to cost a major fortune. How about creating something utilitarian for once.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Municipalities love to spend money. It creates jobs, gets campaign donations, taxpayers and fee payers, not so much.

The question is is, is it a need or a want? My understanding and recollection (I'm only through there rarely) is that MCI facilities are pretty dated and more suited to the pre 9/11 environment.

On the other hand, MCI's largest airline tenant is saying no, so that ought to carry considerable weight.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
The CRAC is actually an improvement over the old system of multiple shuttles to almost offsite locations. However, that is more a comment on the pitiful nature of the old system that the glorious nature of the new. . . .

. It works good enough to function. I go to the airport to get on a plane. That part works.
The CRAC is exactly like the one at LAS, which seems efficient.

MCI is exactly as you describe: it works well enough. It gets us where we need to go, really quite efficiently. IMHO, if passengers don't like the slow security checkpoints, blame the contracted security services who are not TSA. As someone noted in a post above, they tend to over scrutinize everyone, and are very very slow workers.

Not mentioned so far: one of the main reasons Mayor SLY wants to spend a billion dollars to build anew: the concessionaires' complaints that they want to make more money off airport shoppers, diners.

Hmmm, as INK states, we go to the airport to get on a plane. I never go there for the culinary treats and shopping opportunities.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, AA Plat. Pro
Originally Posted by ksuwldkat
Actually I think the rental car situation is pretty bad. You have to take a shuttle, and the rental car area seems too big for what it is. Off the top of my head, OMA, DSM, and TPA all have much better layouts. You get your bag, then walk across the street to get your car. I think TPA has one of the most user friendly airports in the country, although they have one of those automated trams, which is probably an expensive design. But their economy parking is right next to the terminal in a parking garage and is something like $7 a day. If KC could manage something like that I'd be all for it, although their history of cost overruns and poor planning do not give me much faith.
I have to take shuttles to cars at tons or airports so that doesn't bother me much at all, that's pretty normal, especially at a lot of larger airports. I do agree about TPA, it is laid out rather well.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP,LFP~3 MM; MarriottRewards, LFP; Avis 1st; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Current airport is a dump.
Dumbest design I have ever seen. Few if an amenities inside of security, thin walkways inside and out -- typical thinking back then of "we'll build it for the planes -- the hell with the passengers!" (ref: ORD, DFW:ABCE)
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HansGruber
I have to take shuttles to cars at tons or airports so that doesn't bother me much at all, that's pretty normal, especially at a lot of larger airports. I do agree about TPA, it is laid out rather well.
BNA built a new CRAC. They built it across the street from the terminal. No shuttle, but people mover carts with drivers for those that need them. What a concept!

Then there is PVD. It is a "short" walk from the terminal. It feels like about four blocks. The old National lot was across the street but required a shuttle and was about 3 blocks closer. My car was on level four or five and by the time I hit the street there was over a 1/2 mile on the car.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Originally Posted by nsx
Oakland holds the crown for wasting money, as far as I know, with the
$500M BART connector that replaces a bus service with a train that will run no faster at double the fare.

If you believe project proponents, Oakland gained 2500 jobs at a cost of only $200k per job.
I don't agree. I heard that big airlines such as Delta will offer more flights from Oakland. Also, I live in SF and the air bart is a pain in the a**. I always book from SFO (cab ride is $35 more for me to go to OAK) but would reconsider once this bart connector is live (end of 2014?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.