Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best SWA gift card rebates? (Was: Should I prepay my 2014 travel on a RR Visa card?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best SWA gift card rebates? (Was: Should I prepay my 2014 travel on a RR Visa card?)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:56 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

I'm planning to cancel my RR Visa card this month and not replacing it until 2015. I'm debating buying a large amount of gift cards to pay for my 2014 travel on Southwest. That way I will get the extra RR points and CP qualifying points.

But I'm wondering whether there's a more rewarding option for buying Southwest gift cards. Getting 5% back from an office supply store with an Ink card would be interesting.

Any suggestions?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
I think it's reasonable but the limit of 4 non cc payments per purchase could be a pain. Rolling them up into a dummy itinerary will work with the unfortunate side effect of an expiring ttf.

If you're planning on purchasing BS or Anytime with the gift cards you will be stuck with an expiring ttf when you refund (at least according to the t&c). A bigger sticking point, IMO.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I'm planning to cancel my RR Visa card this month and not replacing it until 2015. I'm debating buying a large amount of gift cards to pay for my 2014 travel on Southwest. That way I will get the extra RR points and CP qualifying points.

But I'm wondering whether there's a more rewarding option for buying Southwest gift cards. Getting 5% back from an office supply store with an Ink card would be interesting.

Any suggestions?
I'm a 5x on Ink guy. The exception would be if you REALLY want the extra point towards CP which requires the RR card but you are giving up 5 non-cp points for 2 CP points.

I am already A+ and CP for 2014 and am thinking I may do a Marriott transfer in Jan 15 to keep CP. With the WN RR point devaluation, I am really thinking about my earn/burn approach. As an A+ flyer, BS fares used to return 40% and it is now down to where I am thinking that a $0.01/point gift card cashout looks pretty good for my flying. I will probably continue with points for friends/family.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
I'm a 5x on Ink guy. The exception would be if you REALLY want the extra point towards CP which requires the RR card but you are giving up 5 non-cp points for 2 CP points.
Hmmm. 5x on Ink seems like a better plan, coupled with another purchase of Choice points during Amex getaways, for transfer to Southwest. Those RR points end up costing about 1.7 cents and they are CPQPs.

In a pinch I could transfer Hyatt points to Southwest, but I'd rather not have to do that.

Which store do you use for 5x on Southwest gift cards with Ink Plus? Staples?

Do I have to buy a physical gift card, or can I buy the emailed gift cards online at staples.com?

Last edited by nsx; Jan 4, 2014 at 4:23 pm
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
5x UR I think is specifically limited to OfficeMax, Office Depot, and Staples. Never went through a portal, but look at uPromise.

Some grocery stores work out better (Amex Blue for 5-6% cashback plus gas rewards plus sometimes grocery coupons).

I just got back from Sam's Club, where they have $150 WN GCs for $143. Buying there with $200 MC GCs purchased with the 5x UR I think works well. About 5% off when buying fares that yield TQP and CPQP, plus 5x UR worth maybe 7-8% minus 1.2% for fee.

Also Target Red Card for 5% cashback, in conjunction with a coupon. Targets around here only have $50 GCs, though.

5 UR to be transferred in is better than 2 CPQ WN points. End up with 50% more after the 40% Hyatt haircut.

The Marriott Travel Package is worth a look.

But I think the scene will be completely different in a year.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jan 4, 2014 at 6:18 pm
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:11 pm

Sam's Club sells Southwest gift cards online at a discount, from face value. If ordered online, payment can be made with most major credit cards, unlike in-person purchases, where only Discover and MasterCard are accepted, except for Sam's/WalMart, of course.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/southwe...prod8840060.ip

There is no shipping fee charged.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mke9499
Sam's Club sells Southwest gift cards online at a discount, from face value. If ordered online, payment can be made with most major credit cards, unlike in-person purchases, where only Discover and MasterCard are accepted, except for Sam's/WalMart, of course.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/southwe...prod8840060.ip

There is no shipping fee charged.
Sam's takes Wal-Mart GCs, which can be bought at any Wal-Mart with Amex, Visa, etc.

The Ink cards really are amazing. Everyone should have at least one. 5 UR is huge.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Going through the ebates portal to purchase WN GCs from Staples will get 2% cash back in addition to 5xUR points per dollar.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:24 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
NSX, there are frequently high portal rebates for purchases of Sears cards, which you can use to buy Southwest GC's at Kmart. I jumped on it when it was 15x once, plus whatever you get for your credit card payment.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:37 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

It's kind of hard to get excited about discounts on Southwest GC's. With all the credit card bonuses, stacking point promos and VDB's I got in 2013, it will be hard to spend the points/funds I already have.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
NSX, there are frequently high portal rebates for purchases of Sears cards, which you can use to buy Southwest GC's at Kmart. I jumped on it when it was 15x once, plus whatever you get for your credit card payment.
Frequent Miler's incessant flogging of that 15x killed it dead in no time. Now it's more like 3x.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:49 pm

For those buying WN gift cards, are you not worried about the trip/lost luggage protection you get when paying with a card like sapphire?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:58 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Yep, 15X RR points was pretty nice. I'll bet it only existed because whoever thought it up didn't realize the points were worth .0167.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:00 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Originally Posted by Dangjr213
For those buying WN gift cards, are you not worried about the trip/lost luggage protection you get when paying with a card like sapphire?
Since it only kicks in for delays of 12 hours or more, I'd be willing to go without it. Unless of course I was flying tomorrow and knew I was going to be hit with winter weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.