Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Pass Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Companion Pass Question

Okay, I have always used United, and never payed attention to the Companion Pass. I opened a SW Biz card, and will plan to get the personal card next time it rolls around within 3-4 months. Ill earn the Companion Pass sometime in 2014, good through 2015.

Here is my question. with the CP, Ill have 110,000 miles (earned through Rapid Rewards) I can use for flights. Once those are gone, and my balance is 0 and its still 2014, am I able to transfer over UR points and use those in conjunction with the CP ?

Or am I only able to use the CP with those 110,000 miles ?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
Your CP can be used with any valid WN reservation you have, whether your reservation is made with cash, gift cards or RR points.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

What is WN ?

Once Ultimate Reward points are transfered to Southwest, do they become Rapid Rewards points ?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by Hookm36
What is WN ?
WN = Southwest Airlines Co.
SW = Air Namibia

These are IATA Codes.

Once Ultimate Reward points are transfered to Southwest, do they become Rapid Rewards points ?
Yes. However, they are neither CPQPs nor TQPs.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Im sorry, I dont understand all the jargon, but I do appreciate the help. Let me ask it this way.

example:
Roundtrip for 1 person cost 20K miles per person.

With the Companion Pass, I am able to fly 2 people for 20K miles.

Once all 110K miles earned from CC signup and spending on Southwest CC's, I have 0 miles in my account.

I then transfer 20K Ultimate Rewards points from Chase to my Rapid Rewards account.

--------MY QUESTION--------

Will I be able to fly 2 people using only 20K miles ? Or will I only be able to fly 1 person ?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
Not sure that 20k UR will translate directly to 20k RR points, but if it is possible then go for it.

You will be able to fly two people for said 20k points (plus $5 or $10 each) anytime there is space available.

You can change your CP designee three times per year if you get tired of bringing the original CP person.

Small animals are still $75.

FWIW, I once flew MCO-PVD for 4980 points OW for two people. Watch the sales and you can really stretch your RR points.

Last edited by Texas Booster; Nov 19, 2013 at 8:18 am Reason: spelling.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
Once all 110K miles earned from CC signup and spending on Southwest CC's, I have 0 miles in my account.
Is there a typo here? The 110,000 points earned from CC spend and sign up bonuses are treated as regular RR points. If you work it right, you may get 5 - 6 RT out of just the CC points for you and a companion.

The Companion Pass is truly one of the best airline rewards for those that can use it.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
The CP can be used to bring your Companion free EVERY TIME you fly for as long as it is valid. You just have to pay the $2.50 per segment (I think) fee.

It matters not how you obtain your own WN ticket. Cash, points, old-style 1.0 Award, voucher, TTFs, gift card, gifted to you, etc.

Could not be more straightforward.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Im sorry, I dont understand all the jargon, but I do appreciate the help. Let me ask it this way.

example:
Roundtrip for 1 person cost 20K miles per person.

With the Companion Pass, I am able to fly 2 people for 20K miles.

I then transfer 20K Ultimate Rewards points from Chase to my Rapid Rewards account.

--------MY QUESTION--------

Will I be able to fly 2 people using only 20K miles ? Or will I only be able to fly 1 person ?
2 people. assuming it is during the validity period of the companion pass. you do not have to use the 110k earned for the companion pass to redeem flights. they can be paid flights. they can be standard award tickets. they can be RR 2.0 redemptions.

As for not understanding the jargon, please read the carefully compiled wiki referenced in the sticky thread atop this forum. not only would you learn the jargon, but, you would also have all of your questions answered without the need to post.

Originally Posted by Texas Booster
Not sure that 20k UR will translate directly to 20k RR points, but if it is possible then go for it.
They do currently. 1-for-1 transfer.

Originally Posted by Texas Booster
Is there a typo here? The 110,000 points earned from CC spend and sign up bonuses are treated as regular RR points. If you work it right, you may get 5 - 6 RT out of just the CC points for you and a companion.

The Companion Pass is truly one of the best airline rewards for those that can use it.
my reading is that Hookm36 is worried that once the 110k CPQPs earned that gave him companion pass status are redeemed, he won't be able to use other points with the companion pass. of course, this is false and shows a lack of understanding between RDPs (redeemable/regular points), TQPs (tier qualifying points), and CPQPs (companion pass qualifying points).
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
I think the OP is thinking that he must "spend" 110K in miles to get the CP. As I understand it the CP is a form of status that is awarded at no "cost." Once you accrue 110K miles (in one calender year), you get the CP and you keep the 110K miles which can now be spent on travel-for-two.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FindAWay
2 people. assuming it is during the validity period of the companion pass. you do not have to use the 110k earned for the companion pass to redeem flights. they can be paid flights. they can be standard award tickets. they can be RR 2.0 redemptions.

As for not understanding the jargon, please read the carefully compiled wiki referenced in the sticky thread atop this forum. not only would you learn the jargon, but, you would also have all of your questions answered without the need to post.

They do currently. 1-for-1 transfer.

my reading is that Hookm36 is worried that once the 110k CPQPs earned that gave him companion pass status are redeemed, he won't be able to use other points with the companion pass. of course, this is false and shows a lack of understanding between RDPs (redeemable/regular points), TQPs (tier qualifying points), and CPQPs (companion pass qualifying points).
Thank you so much for clarifying. I will attempt to read the wiki. I honestly haven't navigated through any wiki links cause my job blocks the site, so I utilize this forum for answers.

Sorry for being dumb, lol and Thanks to everyone for your help.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
But I have a CP boarding question for which I cannot find an answer... It is clear to me that the Companion boards based upon his/her "status" and cannot board with a non-companion with A- or A+ status (unless he/she has the same status).

But what if the non-companion has purchased a BS fare? Does the Companion get to join him/her in the A1-15 Priority Boarding group?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:16 am
Original Poster

I knew once I earned 110k I would get The CP, I just assumed once I used up the 110k I would only be able to use CP for paid flights or RR points directly earned with using the RR CC.

I'm glad to know I can transfer more UR points over to use with CP once obtained.

Thanks
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:24 am

But what if the non-companion has purchased a BS fare? Does the Companion get to join him/her in the A1-15 Priority Boarding group?
Many WN frequent fliers wish that this was an added benefit, but the BS purchaser gets to board early and play seat hog, while the companion gets to get a boarding pass at T-24 and waltz on board according to their boarding position.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
I opened a SW Biz card, and will plan to get the personal card next time it rolls around within 3-4 months. Ill earn the Companion Pass sometime in 2014, good through 2015.
Hopefully I'm reading this wrong...but if you received the RR Biz Card and the accompanying 50k bonus miles in 2013, you won't be able to combine those with bonus points from another RR card in 2014. You need to earn all 110K points in one calendar year. You can still use the original 50K...they just won't count towards CP in 2014.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.