Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is EBCI a Scam?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
Is EBCI a Scam?

I have taken 6 roundtrip flights (so 12 flights) on Southwest BUR-SJC (Thursday evening last flight, Monday morning 2nd flight of morning) in the past 6 months and every flight I have purchased EBCI and get somewhere A45 to B20. I book my flights 2-3 months in advance.

One time I got so excited because I got A28 on a Tuesday evening... but it turns out the flight only went up to A40!!!!

Is EBCI just an elaborate scam? It almost seems like if I just check-in 24 hours beforehand I'd get a better boarding position. Anybody else have experience with EBCI on the SJC-BUR/BUR-SJC route?

[I know it's wishful thinking but I wish Virgin flew SJC-BUR so I could avoid this whole process.]
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:13 pm

It's not a scam. It's just not usually a very smart way to spend your money.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:06 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by smmrfld
It's not a scam. It's just not usually a very smart way to spend your money.
+1
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
I find BS fares to be even more so. In fact, BS fares are just that - BS. Why pay a massive premium for a drink coupon? Sure you board first (or first-ish, depending how much BS Southwest is shoveling on that flight) but is it really worth so much money? Rarely.

We have an all-business policy at work, so when I was going from RDU to LAS, Southwest seemed to have the only direct flight. Work booked me in "Business Select" and I asked them to modify the policy to excluse Southwest Business after that flight.

Last edited by BizFlyin; Sep 19, 2013 at 3:31 am
Old Sep 19, 2013, 5:21 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BizFlyin
I find BS fares to be even more so. In fact, BS fares are just that - BS. Why pay a massive premium for a drink coupon? Sure you board first (or first-ish, depending how much BS Southwest is shoveling on that flight) but is it really worth so much money? Rarely.

We have an all-business policy at work, so when I was going from RDU to LAS, Southwest seemed to have the only direct flight. Work booked me in "Business Select" and I asked them to modify the policy to excluse Southwest Business after that flight.
Buying last minute, BS fares are often the only fare available. It is then that I find that the competition is sold out or much higher making BS a reasonable alternative if I really have to get there.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
It depends. Do you like waking up at 7am on Sunday to check in for that Monday morning flight? Do you always remember to check in right at T24? BUR to the Bay area is a commuter heavy route. Even as an A+ I've received an A48 on the 7am BUR-OAK. Forget to check in until later in the day and you'll get a C.

If everyone on your flight purchases it and you don't, you'll still get a C checking in at T24...
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by DataJunkie
Is EBCI just an elaborate scam? It almost seems like if I just check-in 24 hours beforehand I'd get a better boarding position. Anybody else have experience with EBCI on the SJC-BUR/BUR-SJC route?
]
Imagine that 7 adults from the same business are all at their computers T-24, hitting their enter buttons simultaneously, and then comparing “boarding assignment separation.” Likely outcome: A melange of A's and B's and one or two in front of EBCIs. It's a promise of nothing.

WN hiked EBCI price as they introduced gate sales, worsening odds for a bigger ante. Add in untold pre-boards and throughs to the pot, and they're not even letting you cut the deck.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:08 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Buying last minute, BS fares are often the only fare available.
It is my understanding that BS would never be the only fare available, if BS is available then Anytime will be available.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I've done it before on free tickets on long hauls and it was worth it.

I figured I was on a free ticket anyway and a couple times was connecting at MDW and with the time change the people that were originating there or connecting from cities outside the EST time zone would have an hour advantage over me for checking in for the flight, and not to mention I usually carry on so I want to board for bin space by my seat.

If it was a short 60 to 90 minute flight and I knew I would have access to my phone or computer at around t-24 I wouldn't deal with it.

Something to keep in mind is if your flight has an irops situation the EBCI doesn't carry over to your rebooked flight and I have had that happen before. Southwest won't proactively give you the refund, but if you call they will credit it back with no problem.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:38 am

I just bought EBCI for an MSP-DEN-PDX flight on Dec. 23, and I've never purchased EBCI before. I know that at T-24 I am going to be either milling around Lambeau Field or driving back to MSP, and owning no smartphone I wouldn't be able to check-in until hours later after everybody and their brother has already checked-in. Throw in a short connection in DEN, I'll want to be as close to the front in the first plane (in a non-middle seat) as possible. So I wouldn't call it a scam. It does what it does.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by qwertyasdfghzxcvbn
I just bought EBCI for an MSP-DEN-PDX flight on Dec. 23, and I've never purchased EBCI before. I know that at T-24 I am going to be either milling around Lambeau Field or driving back to MSP, and owning no smartphone I wouldn't be able to check-in until hours later after everybody and their brother has already checked-in. Throw in a short connection in DEN, I'll want to be as close to the front in the first plane (in a non-middle seat) as possible. So I wouldn't call it a scam. It does what it does.
All that would make perfect sense if you received a boarding number now, not Christmas week.

EBCI is a colonic. You can't see what's happening, only assured you'll soon be sitting pretty.

Months from now.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
If you think of it like this: You're not paying for a great boarding position but rather for someone to check in for you at a reasonable hour.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Now that Delta is offering a traveller's pack where you can pay a fee of a little over $100 and get preferred seating for free and priority boarding for up to 8 people on your ticket through Early January, I am surprised Southwest isn't offering something similar.

Pay $100 and you get EBCI through early January on all your flights for up to 8 people.

If Southwest did this at least their most loyal customers wouldn't be screwed over the way Delta's are.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by BizFlyin

I used to think BS Fare was not a great deal, until I had the situation recently where I had to fly the same day I was booking. I was already past T-24 and only BS and AT were available. In my opinion, BS was the better deal. Only about $16 more and I got A-6 once and A-2 once. I was able to get on an earlier flight with no charge (would have got that on AT as well).

The extra points almost paid for the fare difference.

I prefer being able to plan ahead and buy the lowest WGA fare, but when that is not possible, I think BS is a worthy upgrade over AT.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Now that Delta is offering a traveller's pack where you can pay a fee of a little over $100 and get preferred seating for free and priority boarding for up to 8 people on your ticket through Early January, I am surprised Southwest isn't offering something similar.

Pay $100 and you get EBCI through early January on all your flights for up to 8 people.

If Southwest did this at least their most loyal customers wouldn't be screwed over the way Delta's are.
Delta's package is $199. They toss in bonus miles and Economy Comfort for half price.

Offering $100 unlimited EBCI for up to eight people over the holidays? Not seeing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.