Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nose gear collapse on landing at LGA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
It was 400 feet short of the runway not 400 feet high.
What source did you get that quote from?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by kerflumexed
Here is the quote from the NTSB release:

"SWA 345 proceeded on the approach when at a point below 400 feet, there was an exchange of control of the airplane and the captain became the flying pilot and made the landing."

From this we do not know at what altitude the captain became the flying pilot, nor do we know who initiated the change in control. To me it is clear that they should have executed a missed approach and gone around. I have been through several at LaGarbage usually due to the preceding aircraft not clearing the active.
True, just going on what was interpreted from the release. Yeah, the pilot should have gone around - just like the Asiana pilot. But pilots' pride and overconfidence in skill sometimes get the best of them.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by CREN
I hear ya and wonder if I would have opened the door as well as I usually sit in the emergency exit row on Southwest. Only one time a FA has told me wait for the "evacuate" call from the pilot before opening the door.
Gonna have to ask a FA Monday what the SOP is and what reality is. Of course, the pilot-in-command (PIC) is the ultimate authority. Just seems unlikely that in most "incidents" all the wiring, power, sensors, intercoms, etc. would be fully functioning to warrant a delay in having the pilots make the call as fast as possible. These guys don't have review mirrors to see what's going on in the tail 200'+ behind them.

BTW, anyone know if the nose wheel did really collapse or was it driven so hard into the wheel bay intact, rendering it useless?

Last edited by joshua362; Aug 7, 2013 at 6:46 pm
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by joshua362
BTW, anyone know if the nose wheel did really collapse or was it driven so hard into the wheel bay intact, rendering it useless?
This photo strongly suggests the nosewheel was down-and-locked and hit the ground with enough force to drive it up into the fueselage.

Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:03 pm

I heard from some airline people that this Captain was fired, and she was not well liked by those flying with her.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
The plane has been declared "totaled."

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ng-again.html/

Had a $15.5M depreciated value.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
From the Dallas News Aviation blog:

UPDATE, 9:40 a.m. Wednesday: A worker at New York LaGuardia sent me this photo, with the notation that the airplane “was completely covered in blue shrinkwrap and quietly placed on a barge on Nov. 2nd around midnite and shipped out of NYC in the still of night without raising an eyebrow.”

I can honestly say that I have never seen a plane wrapped in shrink wrap before. Didn't even know that it was worth it.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Texas Booster

I can honestly say that I have never seen a plane wrapped in shrink wrap before. Didn't even know that it was worth it.
Good to know if you ever want to surprise a loved one with an awesome birthday or Christmas gift!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Texas Booster
I think it's to cover the WN livery so it's not as embarrassing.

Like a big blue condom.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:24 am

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...h-landing.html
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Oh, the ever popular "failure to go around". Taught repeatedly from the first day of pilot training...

Last edited by joshua362; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:49 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Cockpit voice recorder transcript can be found here.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I read through all the documents, particularly the interviews. The thing I took away is that the FO, who was flying the plane, up until the last few seconds, felt that he was flying a satisfactory approach, and didn't really understand why the Captain decided to take control of the plane.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Are you saying the FO had no clue, or that the captain took control and screwed up the approach?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
Are you saying the FO had no clue, or that the captain took control and screwed up the approach?
Captain took control 710 feet down the runway & 32 feet above it. That's not an approach.

At the last moment, the captain took the controls and said, "I got it," according to the transcript. Boeing analysts said the switch happened 32 feet in the air, 710 feet after the start of the runway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.