Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Refused second Vitamin Water on flight today.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond

So I'm on my flight home BUR->SJC right now. When it came time for my drink order I offered my 2 BS free drink coupons and the FA said he could only give me one. I told him I gave him two coupons he said yes and and asked what I wanted for my second drink.

I have been doing the 2 coupon Vitamin Water redemption since they started being offered and I take the other home. So I did politely counter with how about 1 lemonaide and 1 berry? No dice. I told the FA I have never had it questioned and was it a policy change? He had a sheepish reply that was- " well we were told to only offer one Vitamin Water- maybe because they only stock so many on the flight?". and then - " I think they are going to re evaluate this in a few months. "

I wasn't going to freak out about it but I again said I had not been denied 2 and I don't do it in the morning because I drink it later and it won't make it back through TSA for my return flight.

I think I had him pinned down on not confirming it was a policy change because he paused and said " tell you what, I'll go ahead and bring you both. I was cheerful and thanked him.

So my 2 just arrived. I thanked him again and said I didn't want to get him in trouble if it was policy and he said "yea it is policy- otherwise you'd get a bunch of people with stacks of coupons 'cashing out' ".

So they are limiting it to one? What if it's a longer flight and I feel like a second drink? Far as I can tell I'm entitled to the coupons I printed out today.

Wow this is a bummer. Time to convince my seat mates the need Vitamin Water I guess.

....and I walked past Virgin America this morning having forgotten they had started LA SJC service I had dismissed it as an option to LA. Funny the littlest things that sway decisions like what airline to fly.

Last edited by Wingrider; Jun 6, 2013 at 7:46 pm Reason: corrected typos
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
You get VW with coupons? I was told that it was cash only ...
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:13 pm

Last week's flights, I redeemed two coupons for two VW, no problem.

Perhaps it was just that FA?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Despite purchasing these (with coupons), WN's stance has always been that they provide drinks for consumption while on the aircraft. I don't ask for another can of coke for later in the day.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear FAs being told to uncap the vitamin waters at the time they are served, the same way they do liquor and wine.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700
Despite purchasing these (with coupons), WN's stance has always been that they provide drinks for consumption while on the aircraft. I don't ask for another can of coke for later in the day.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear FAs being told to uncap the vitamin waters at the time they are served, the same way they do liquor and wine.
I guess thats a possibility but it's not alcohol and I was being denied a non alcoholic drink I had a coupon for. They didn't want to bring a second one open or not.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amicus
Last week's flights, I redeemed two coupons for two VW, no problem.

Perhaps it was just that FA?
I'm hoping that's the case.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Texas Booster
You get VW with coupons? I was told that it was cash only ...
I don't know what their drink policy is, but I can pick what airline I fly every week. If WN is going to nickel and dime me for a coupon they give me for paying $230 bucks for an $89 seat each week, the least I can do is keep my options open and give VW a try.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:51 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Sounds like a rouge FA making up rules or enforcing hearsay & rumors. Wouldn't be the first time, would it? Why deny something you've paid for with a BS fare if completely legal to do so?

Years ago, I used to burn BS & drink coupons for Monsters and routinely take 2 per flight home for my son.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:31 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Wingrider
So I'm on my flight home BUR->SJC right now. When it came time for my drink order I offered my 2 BS free drink coupons and the FA said he could only give me one.
Was it "I think you've had enough to drink"? Or was it "I don't want you to overdose on vitamins"?

Seriously, as others have said, if you made it clear that you wanted one "to go", the FA is not supposed to accommodate that. Although they have occasionally given me a can of soda on the way off the plane if I waited until all the other passengers left and I asked politely.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Wingrider
So I'm on my flight home BUR->SJC right now. When it came time for my drink order I offered my 2 BS free drink coupons and the FA said he could only give me one. I told him I gave him two coupons he said yes and and asked what I wanted for my second drink.

I have been doing the 2 coupon Vitamin Water redemption since they started being offered and I take the other home. So I did politely counter with how about 1 lemonaide and 1 berry? No dice. I told the FA I have never had it questioned and was it a policy change? He had a sheepish reply that was- " well we were told to only offer one Vitamin Water- maybe because they only stock so many on the flight?". and then - " I think they are going to re evaluate this in a few months. "

I wasn't going to freak out about it but I again said I had not been denied 2 and I don't do it in the morning because I drink it later and it won't make it back through TSA for my return flight.

I think I had him pinned down on not confirming it was a policy change because he paused and said " tell you what, I'll go ahead and bring you both. I was cheerful and thanked him.

So my 2 just arrived. I thanked him again and said I didn't want to get him in trouble if it was policy and he said "yea it is policy- otherwise you'd get a bunch of people with stacks of coupons 'cashing out' ".

So they are limiting it to one? What if it's a longer flight and I feel like a second drink? Far as I can tell I'm entitled to the coupons I printed out today.

Wow this is a bummer. Time to convince my seat mates the need Vitamin Water I guess.

....and I walked past Virgin America this morning having forgotten they had started LA SJC service I had dismissed it as an option to LA. Funny the littlest things that sway decisions like what airline to fly.
What flight # or schedule departure time were you on from BUR-SJC for today(June 6th)?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
WN ought to be doing everything it can for BS customers, who are paying a stiff premium for not very much benefit, IMO. Being chintzy over an item that probably costs them 50 cents is stupid as can be.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 4:36 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
WN ought to be doing everything it can for BS customers, who are paying a stiff premium for not very much benefit, IMO. Being chintzy over an item that probably costs them 50 cents is stupid as can be.
It may be as simple as their supply was short and wanted to make sure that everyone that wanted one got one, like the FA's.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
It may be as simple as their supply was short and wanted to make sure that everyone that wanted one got one, like the FA's.
That's entirely possible and the FA loosely mentioned that maybe they only had so many. I'm not mad about it, but it was disappointing enough that either some sort of policy has/had changed or it's another case of uninformed FA's. I don't even know if passengers are not allowed to redeem 2 drink coupons. I've been flying SW aggressively about 4 years and except for handing one to my wife a couple times, I've never printed them out or used them. Now they have something I feel motivated to redeem and I can't have the 2 they offer me coupons for.

I posted this exchange and documented it in a little detail to open up a dialog and solicit feedback.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SDCA
What flight # or schedule departure time were you on from BUR-SJC for today(June 6th)?
I believe it was flight 132, 4:50 departure. Flight was delayed 17 minutes and we pushed back at 5:07. 100% full flight and the aircraft was "Maryland One"
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
Was it "I think you've had enough to drink"? Or was it "I don't want you to overdose on vitamins"?

Seriously, as others have said, if you made it clear that you wanted one "to go", the FA is not supposed to accommodate that. Although they have occasionally given me a can of soda on the way off the plane if I waited until all the other passengers left and I asked politely.
No, I said nothing about 1 to go before being refused the 2nd. I handed the FA 2 coupons flared out like a pair of playing cards and basically said "I'd like 1 lemon Vitamin Water aaaand 1 Lemon Vitamin Water, please". He paused and said he couldn't give me two. Then the rest of the story is as posted.

I'll add that I'm always incredibly polite to Fa's with lots of "please"'s and "thank you very much"'s- not even just "thanks". FA's have a tough job and I always treat them with respect. I think that's why he ended up giving me two.

Again, this isn't like being denied a flight, just awareness and a dialog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.