Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anyone Leaving WN (or reducing flights) because of Evolve?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Leaving WN (or reducing flights) because of Evolve?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Peter T.
That's a salient point. I'm 5'7" and I'm fine with Evolve. It's in no way an improvement, but I'm not really bothered by it.

(I do wish if WN was going to go to the trouble of replacing all their seats, that they would have embraced the 21st century and brought in seats that had IFE screens on the seatbacks.)

Here on Flyertalk it's definitely the tall people who hate the Devolve seats the most. But I don't hear too much counterbalancing love for them from short people.

Maybe short people don't fly as much as tall people?
Frequent flyers spend more time at altitude and lower gravity. Without all that gravity pulling them down all of the time, they do not get pulled shorter as fast as other people. That has the same perception as getting taller while others stay the same.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I can't think of any other feature of Southwest's product about which the company's official opinion is so opposed to customer perception. Even RR 2.0, which the company touted as an improvement, had real benefits for a sizable number of people, probably a majority of Southwest's customers (the infrequent flyers).

If FT experience is not somehow special, and it really couldn't be on something like a seat, only a very small percentage of customer actually prefer Evolve. A substantial percentage consider it a serious devaluation of the product. Management and analysts seem to be completely ignorant of this fact.
I'm 6' and while the seats are not all that uncomfortable, the biggest problem for me is if I stick my legs straight out, they won't go completely under the seat in front of me because my knees hit the bottom. This, of course, is because the seats are lower. So yes, overall, I'm less comfortable.

I wouldn't agree, though, that management is completely ignorant of this fact. On the other hand, they know. They've just sunk millions into retrofitting hundreds of aircraft which also put 6 more seats for customers in each of those planes as well. They aren't going to tear those out and decrease seat inventory until they have some cold, hard numbers that demonstrate that evolve is actually negatively affecting their bottom line.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:02 am

Anyone know how tall Gary Kelly is?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Tall. Taller than me, and I'm 6'1". I thought I read an article a few years back reporting 6'4" and size 14 shoes. USA Today did a nice story in 2010-ish reporting that was at or near 6 feet when he started junior high.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Don't know, but he does not always fly WN:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rst-class.html
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ursine1

IMHO, not having seatback screens but instead serving content to individual passengers' devices is embracing the 21st century. Unfortunately, WN's implementation of this leaves some room for improvement.
Not really true, since seatback screens can be on and operating throughout the flight from taxiing, take-off through landing, unlike one's own portable electronic devices.

Also there are times I would rather not pullout out my laptop or iPad to view the IFE. Which reveals another shortcoming of these Evolve seats (besides not having a IFE video screen on the seatbacks) and that's the lack of power outlets to plug in and power one's laptops and other portable electronic devices. Of course, the power outlets would be less needed if the seatbacks had IFE video screens.

Last edited by Peter T.; Oct 24, 2013 at 12:06 pm
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:59 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
6' 3". He was a quarterback in high school!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
It doesn't appear that the Devolve Seats are hurting WN's bottom line, though.

WN announced record 3rd quarter net income today.

Last edited by Peter T.; Oct 24, 2013 at 12:48 pm
Old Oct 24, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by Peter T.
It doesn't appear that the Devolve Seats are hurting WN's bottom line, though.

WN announced record 3rd quarter net income today.
Wouldn't expect them to, it is because of devolve that they can get an extra row in.

Last edited by heyeaglefn; Oct 24, 2013 at 12:58 pm
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I AM DONE!

I AM DONE with WN for BUSINESS travel because of these horrible seats and 143 configuration. I'm 5'10" and 190 pounds, "average" and a small plane pilot / owner to boot, used to tight spots.

Another 3.5+ hour miserably full flight yesterday where I paid a $550 BS instead of a $200 WGA to get an A02 and hopefully an exit or front row seats. The parade of pre-boards and 25 thru's put an end to that silly notion.

So I sat behind the exit row (window) & tried to settle in and the claustrophobic & panicky feeling I got a few weeks before at LAX starts creeping in. And the plane's only a third full and the warning that every seat will be taken is continuously blaring.

I decide maybe an aisle is the way to go, foregoing any possibility of sleep, but I can get up and move around if necessary. But there is no room for my bag underneath with these stupid seats on the aisle side. Now I'm rushing to take out my Laptop, iPad, iPod, noise cancelling headphones, snacks, water, etc & stow the bag up top to free up some room.

But wait, across the way, a mother and small kid have take taken the aisle and middle seats (respectively) leaving window open. Score! At least I won't be crushed by the late boarding overweight person like I normally experience.

So now I'm in a rush to gather my now LOOSE belongings and switch before someone else figures it out. Must have dropped the iPod Classic ($279 to replace now), which someone swiped, since after the flight the FA's & I are on our hands and knees looking for it to no avail.

Impossible to open & use the laptop and to add insult NO WIFI on this horrible Devolved aircraft. No chance to "work", can only read. An hour before my BS coupon drinks arrive to help my nerves.

So this idiot is done making ridiculous 2 & 3 hop connections to avoid driving to LGA since I am free to fly whoever.

I can't blame anyone but myself for my mental claustrophobia and forgetfulness but I won't abuse myself anymore just for the points that may suddenly devalue. Got plenty to use on personal, fun trips but the days of pretending to be a business traveler on WN are gone until there is some dedicated business seating.

Ironically, saw record earnings today so none of this is going to matter. Also got a survey about yesterday's flight where I repeated harped the Devolve move but again, nothing is going to change...

joshua362, out !!!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362

Another 3.5+ hour miserably full flight yesterday where I paid a $550 BS instead of a $200 WGA to get an A02 and hopefully an exit or front row seats. The parade of pre-boards and 25 thru's put an end to that silly notion.
Why pay a $350 premium to get a BS boarding pass, when nowadays one only needs to pay a $40 premium over any WGA fare to board with a BS BP Is the free drink that important?

Sorry about losing your iPod onboard. That sucks, but call Southwest's Lost & Found. Some PAX might have put the iPod in a seat pocket or taken it out of the plane and given it to a GA or some other WN employee to turn it in to WN's Lost & Found.

But I agree it's smart for you to avoid flying WN if you're starting to find WN Devolve seating to be too claustrophobic for you. Because of pre-boards, one should never count on getting a bulkhead seat on WN, and because of thru-passengers, there's no guarantee that even with an A01 boarding pass you'll be able to find an available exit row seat.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Thanks for the advice, did that already (the online form) plus a FA in BWI took my business card and promised to hand it off when the plane overnights in ROC for cleaning. However, ROC was recently converted over from Airtran, the ISP baggage office couldn't lookup their number in the system so I'd bet the online form ends up in a black hole anyway. My business card was in the case but I'm sure its too attractive to do the right thing and not to keep it...

I did pay up substantially largely since it was possible my plans were changing plus a triple point promo I seem to be getting. Penny wise & pound foolish is my middle name...

So I'll just use WN for family vacations now, using a cache of points (700k) i've earned and arrive with a buzz on to calm my nerves. I'm not gonna make a habit of taking valium like I have to do before getting into a MRI tube just to fly WN.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I wasn't sure where to put this observation, but I will say I was on an LAX<>SJC day trip last week and the aircraft had rebuilt old style seats (not the new ones). I was really quite surprised they would bother on a plane that spends it's day up and down the coast.

It was a -300 or -500 without WiFi and no winglets and the leg room was a plenty- even in the 6th row. I'm sorry I was too distracted to remember if it had the cabinets on the left side (right on entry) but since I don't remember *not* seeing them, that's why I think it was -500. I fly often enough to know the seat types and this was not just new surface covers but new seat cushions too. I've sat in too many "butt worn" older seats and these were new and had no shape worn into them yet. The aircraft even had a new interior smell and new carpet.

This really confuses me.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
It was a refurbished 300 I bet. Just was on one last week. No wifi but the legroom is much better then the 700.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:59 pm

I was on a non-refurbished 300 Friday. No wifi, despite my receiving an email the day before telling me my flight would have it (plane swap probably), but soooooo nice to have the old legroom, even with the beat up seats. My return flight today was supposed to be an 800 (I specifically choose that flight because of that) but there was apparently another plane swap; it was a Evolved 700. Lucked out when a COS sat on the aisle, so we had the middle seat open on a relatively full flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.