Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anyone Leaving WN (or reducing flights) because of Evolve?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Leaving WN (or reducing flights) because of Evolve?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: SW A List Preferred with Companion Pass, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
The forward pitch of the seat makes if extremely uncomfortable. I feel like I spend the whole time trying to keep from sliding out of the seat
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zachary
I just wonder how many people make the kind of distinctions that people here are making. Even the people I travel with for business tell me I think too much about this stuff -- just get on the plane and fly where you're going, they say. That's the attitude that Gary Kelly & Co. are counting on. And it may work.
Your experience is exactly why I predict lukewarm success for Southwest next October from DAL Love Field when the last vestiges of the Wright Amendment expire.

Right now, WN dominates the intra-Texas short-haul markets from DAL like HOU, AUS and SAT. In addition, WN has a pretty good market share on other within-perimeter routes like DAL-STL, DAL-MCI and DAL-MSY. As they're all within the Wright Amendment perimeter, by definition, they're reasonably short flights.

WN would love to dominate DAL-LAX and DAL-SNA and DAL-SFO as well as BOS, PHL, LGA and DCA, all routes where AA and/or US have the lion's share of the business travelers (from DFW).

But the business-traveler customers WN will be hoping to attract at DAL for its new longer-haul domestic flights aren't the typical kettles, they're probably currently AA elites who fly from DFW. And if they're even willing to try WN on a four to five hour adventure (from boarding time to parking at the gate at their west coast or east coast city), I don't predict that they'll do it more than once. Especially if they're tall.

The seats just plane suck. I willingly sit in them for short flights (an hour to 90 minutes) but the thought of sitting in them from LAX to DAL and back is a non-starter. And if WN doesn't fix the legroom situation, then I predict that WN will have a difficult time filling the new DAL longer-haul flights next year with any appreciable number of last-minute business travelers. DAL-AUS/SAT/HOU? Sure. An hour is completely tolerable. DAL-BOS/LGA/SEA/SFO? Nope.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
I'm drafting a letter to WN as we speak just to document to them why I have decided to move flights from WN to other airlines. Not sure who it should go to though. Any ideas?

Not that I expect a response but I'm that displeased that I need to do this. To me, ita all about the seats. I can't take them anymore.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
You are right, they don't care. I wouldn't even bother with a letter to be honest.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I avoid commercials like the plague but aren't they running ads during NFL games to the tune of "if it matters to you, it matters to us?" Like a comfortable seat?

Perhaps they need to be reminded of this?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 1:51 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
We were loving SW since 2005, but switched back to Delta in 2012. Delta introduced Economy Comfort domestically just about the same time SW went with Evolve. I really miss SW, but we're both tall and just can't take those new seats.

I can't stand the fees and all the crazy crowding the gate area at boarding time, but Delta does have more non-stops and they've been selling FC at huge discounts at about 4-5 weeks out. Delta's regular coach is horrible, so we just pay extra for EC or snag a last minute FC.

I emailed SW about leaving because of Evolve. They responded by saying they were sorry, but they believed most people liked it better. I really doubt that's true.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
I emailed SW about leaving because of Evolve. They responded by saying they were sorry, but they believed most people liked it better. I really doubt that's true.
Yes, they keep saying that, and also in their presentations to analysts. I think it's just a flat-out lie.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Well, what else are they going to say? "People tell us they hate it, but we're keeping it anyway to maximize our slipping profitability, and will resist making adjustments to it as long as we can"? Sigh.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Well, what else are they going to say? "People tell us they hate it, but we're keeping it anyway to maximize our slipping profitability, and will resist making adjustments to it as long as we can"? Sigh.
I can't think of any other feature of Southwest's product about which the company's official opinion is so opposed to customer perception. Even RR 2.0, which the company touted as an improvement, had real benefits for a sizable number of people, probably a majority of Southwest's customers (the infrequent flyers).

If FT experience is not somehow special, and it really couldn't be on something like a seat, only a very small percentage of customer actually prefer Evolve. A substantial percentage consider it a serious devaluation of the product. Management and analysts seem to be completely ignorant of this fact.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I bet they asked a focus group some question like "Recently Southwest introduced new, thinner, more comfortable seats. Do you prefer them?"
Old Oct 21, 2013, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I would like to ask SHORTER people how they like Evolve. At 5'9", I'm relatively indifferent, although there is definitely less legroom (despite what they say). My Mother, at 5'2" loves Evolve, because her feet didn't touch the floor in the previous seating. Her feet were numb after a long trip.

So, I guess it depends. I can definitely understand how taller people would be more uncomfortable.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by jb3t
Just curious if anyone is reducing their WN flights because of evolve...
I am not.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by formeraa

I would like to ask SHORTER people how they like Evolve. At 5'9", I'm relatively indifferent, although there is definitely less legroom (despite what they say). My Mother, at 5'2" loves Evolve, because her feet didn't touch the floor in the previous seating. Her feet were numb after a long trip.

So, I guess it depends. I can definitely understand how taller people would be more uncomfortable.
That's a salient point. I'm 5'7" and I'm fine with Evolve. It's in no way an improvement, but I'm not really bothered by it.

(I do wish if WN was going to go to the trouble of replacing all their seats, that they would have embraced the 21st century and brought in seats that had IFE screens on the seatbacks.)

Here on Flyertalk it's definitely the tall people who hate the Devolve seats the most. But I don't hear too much counterbalancing love for them from short people.

Maybe short people don't fly as much as tall people?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:58 pm

Short People
They got little baby legs
That stand so low
You got to pick em up
Just to say hello
They got little cars
That go beep, beep, beep
They got little voices
Goin' peep, peep, peep
They got grubby little fingers
And dirty little minds
They're gonna get you every time
Well, I don't want no short people
Don't want no short people
Don't want no short people
'Round here

Short people are just the same
As you and I
(A fool such as I)
All men are brothers
Until the day they die
(It's a wonderful world)
Short people don't have a problem with less leg room because they got less legs
RANDY NEWMAN IS 6'0", NEITHER TOO TALL NOR TOO SHORT.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Peter T.
That's a salient point. I'm 5'7" and I'm fine with Evolve. It's in no way an improvement, but I'm not really bothered by it.

(I do wish if WN was going to go to the trouble of replacing all their seats, that they would have embraced the 21st century and brought in seats that had IFE screens on the seatbacks.)

Here on Flyertalk it's definitely the tall people who hate the Devolve seats the most. But I don't hear too much counterbalancing love for them from short people.

Maybe short people don't fly as much as tall people?
IMHO, not having seatback screens but instead serving content to individual passengers' devices is embracing the 21st century. Unfortunately, WN's implementation of this leaves some room for improvement.

I'm completely average at 5'11", and I hate the new seats/legroom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.