Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Vitamin Water ending Sept 30, 2014; was: ...are BS Coupons now valid for this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First

Per the Southwest website (http://www.southwest.com/businessselect/)

"Premium Drink
Enjoy a premium drink onboard your flight with a coupon valid for use on day of travel."

The new Vitamin Water drinks (staring 5/1) are listed in the inflight menu as "Premium drink" now. The BS drink coupon still says "1 COUPON = BEER, WINE, or LIQUOR".

Has anyone tried getting a Vitamin Water drink with their BS coupons? If this worked it would make the useless BS drink coupon (yes, Southwest, I'm sure business travelers on commuter flights really want a drink at 6am...) .. worth something to me...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
i certanly hope so! I'm admittedly an avid drinker, but the last thing I want is a lukewarm Heineken at 6 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:54 pm

According to the current In Flight Menu card, no.

Valid Rapid Rewards® and Business Select® drink coupons are accepted for beer, wine, and liquor.
http://www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs...light_menu.pdf
Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by ursine1
According to the current In Flight Menu card, no.

http://www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs...light_menu.pdf
Except that it would seem to contradict the published BS benefits, which say that we can enjoy a free premium beverage, and incidentally, Vitamin Water is listed as the only premium beverage... I guess time to try and complain to Southwest when it doesn't work...

I wonder if Southwest will give me a credit on the BS flights I took where there was no beverage service due to turbulence...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:45 pm

I'm gonna go way out on a limb and suggest that the language on the BS benefits page is a screwup.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:02 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I'm gonna go way out on a limb and suggest that the language on the BS benefits page is a screwup.
You're such a scamp!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

It's also the language plastered all over the fare page (the words "Premium Drink", and not "Alcoholic Beverage") are clearly used, so if it is a screwup, then they screwed up real bad. Some of the more legal types might say that this is grounds for some kind of lawsuit! (how did that coupon lawsuit go anyway? *cough* *cough*)...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:44 pm

I flew PIT-LAS yesterday (with a brief medical diversion to STL), and the FA specifically stated that drink coupons are NOT good for vitamin water. Seems odd to me, particularly with Vit Water being cheaper than alcoholic drinks, but she was quite specific about it.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:14 pm

Prior to Vitamin Water, Monster was listed as "Energy Drink"; there was nothing listed as "Premium Drink." That term was sometimes used to refer to all alcoholic beverages offered. I suspect that the confusion comes now that they needed a way to refer to Vitamin Water, but didn't remember/weren't aware of the previous usage of the term.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Prior to Vitamin Water, Monster was listed as "Energy Drink"; there was nothing listed as "Premium Drink." That term was sometimes used to refer to all alcoholic beverages offered. I suspect that the confusion comes now that they needed a way to refer to Vitamin Water, but didn't remember/weren't aware of the previous usage of the term.
yeah, well, poor choice by Southwest. I'm not sure why they explicitly prohibit people from getting monsters/vitamin waters, but I suspect its because they believe people would actually use the coupons then. As it stands, I bet the redemption rate of BS drink coupons is < 50%.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by besst
I flew PIT-LAS yesterday (with a brief medical diversion to STL), and the FA specifically stated that drink coupons are NOT good for vitamin water. Seems odd to me, particularly with Vit Water being cheaper than alcoholic drinks, but she was quite specific about it.
I bought a Vitamin Water today on PHX-CMH (tasty), and the FA very clearly told me that drink coupons ARE good for them. I specifically asked. Very curious.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I bought a Vitamin Water today on PHX-CMH (tasty), and the FA very clearly told me that drink coupons ARE good for them. I specifically asked. Very curious.
Curiouser and curiouser -- I think someone somewhere at SWA has not gotten the memo. I have never ordered Vitamin Water -- the only reason I remember so clearly is because the FA was so adamant about it. She also stated that older drink coupons with no expiration date were no longer valid and would not be accepted.
I'm flying back tomorrow; I will make a point of asking the FA about this issue.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:33 pm

Perhaps one of the Southwest reps on the board could check in here with an official answer?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:45 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: SWA Customer Relations
Perhaps one of the Southwest reps on the board could check in here with an official answer?

Sorry for any confusion with Vitamin Water. It may only be purchased. All major credit cards accepted onboard. Cash is not accepted. Valid Rapid Rewards and Business Select drink coupons are accepted for beer, wine, and liquor.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by southwestgabe
Sorry for any confusion with Vitamin Water. It may only be purchased. All major credit cards accepted onboard. Cash is not accepted. Valid Rapid Rewards and Business Select drink coupons are accepted for beer, wine, and liquor.
Thanks for clearing that up Gabe!

You might want to address the language used on the website and the In Flight Menu card to help reduce the confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.