Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard WiFi virtually not usable

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Onboard WiFi virtually not usable

I am not sure if I am the only one having this issue, but I've noticed SWA onboard WiFi is getting so painfully slow that it's practially not usable, flight after flight...

I can't VPN into work, I can't get onto any major hotel/rental car websites to book future travels, I can't browse Amazon.com. In fact, I am on a SWA flight right now, and strangly this is the only website I can get to

I never have such issue with other airlines' onboard WiFi. I can't imagine paying $8 for this nonsense. Anyone else having unbearable slow internet issues?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I used it twice this week to LAS from ORD, it did the job. Got painfully slow over the Rockies. Another obsevation, it worked better in the back of the plane.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:42 am

WN should cut its losses, admit the Row 44 experiment was a colossal dud, and go with another service. It is truly abominable, and is yet another example of a botched rollout of a service/system aimed at biz PAX. Who continues to make these decisions at WN? CEO? IT VP? Monkeys on loan from the Dallas Zoo?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 1:01 am

It's abysmal, it's always been abysmal, and despite recent corporate claims to the contrary, it remains abysmal.

I have noticed a recent uptick in complaints about the service on the WN Facebook newsfeed. I suspect its a result of more planes now offering the service. Which is abysmal.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ursine1
It's abysmal, it's always been abysmal, and despite recent corporate claims to the contrary, it remains abysmal.

I have noticed a recent uptick in complaints about the service on the WN Facebook newsfeed. I suspect its a result of more planes now offering the service. Which is abysmal.
I don't agree that it has always been abysmal, it has actually improved to that level.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:37 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Since most of my trips are short haul, I rarely pay for WIFI on any airline. Are other systems, on other airlines, faster and more reliable?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
I tried it out for the first time on a MKE to LAS flight. It is not worth the 8 bucks. I was trying to pass the time by just browsing web sites nothing else. Painfully slow!
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:41 am

very slow.
in fact, nearly nonexistent in my experience.

on short hauls, you can hardly get a page or two loaded before it's time to turn it off.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: LTP, PP
While I definitely agree with all the above, I had a rare pleasant experience Thursday night late MKE-LGA with decent speeds. Plane maybe 1/2 full although I've been on other light loads with abysmal speeds.

Well, if they think Devolve is a customer approved success, I'm sure GK et al ignores these problems and feedback too....
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:02 am

Southwest actually touts the wifi as part of the "in cabin comfort" advertising message. <rolls eyes>
Old Apr 13, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
<knock on wood>

I have had good internet results over the last month flights. But, I have only had a 50% batting average getting an equipped aircraft.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Ever since the novelty wore off I haven't purchased access but I always pull up the flight tracker page, use the opportunity to check for any price drops on future itineraries, and/or check flight status and connections for that trip. For those purposes it works fine but I'm sure that WN would prefer that I shell out $8.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:57 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It was tolerable when nobody was using it.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
I fly up and down the west coast.....think only once mid-flight I was thinking how terrible the service was. Most of the time it's above average for me...
Old Apr 14, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SWA Styrofoam, Marriott Rew, SPG, HHonors
Cannot compare to GoGo

I am a GoGo subscriber because of my Delta allegiance and have few complaints. However, Southwest WiFi inhales sharply (sucks). Yesterday, HOU to OAK, Angry Birds won out over SWA's version of Dial-Up.

Aware of the problem, the FA announced the Captain was going to reboot the system. This prompted a mini-concert by some rapper on the plane who wanted to promote his CD. They actually let him use the intercom.

Now I know why the windows don't open and the doors are locked...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.