Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how early can one check luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

how early can one check luggage?

I have a 7pm flight departing from Austin, Texas and need to return the rental car before noon. How early can I check in luggage before the flight?

Thanks for any info,
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:38 pm

Four hours prior to departure.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
On WN it is 4 hours prior to departure.

With the bad weather today, a supervisor needed to rebook a flight RDU - SLC. Because they had a 4 1/2 hour stop in BNA, the pax needed to collect her luggage at baggage claim, then recheck them herself at BNA to SLC.

I flew FL today. Checked my luggage 6 hours ahead of time and headed to the Club at RDU (old US Air/Delta lounge in Term 1).

The issue must be computer system related. Hope that WN changes their mind and adopts FL policy (and programming code).
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:09 pm

It's four hours on AirTran as well. You got lucky.

Checked Baggage
Baggage may be checked no more than 4 hours prior to departure time.

Carry-on and Checked Baggage Policies
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
Ohhh, I actually beat the system?? That never happens to me.

Heading out to buy a lottery ticket fur sure!
dc2 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:04 pm

Must be an IT thing, because they seem to be pretty strict about the 4 hours . Tried checking my bags at FLL 4 hours and 10 mins before flight departure. Thought i would wait in line for 15 mins, but they opened up a few more counters and went faster than I expected. Had to wait to the side for 10 mins.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:58 am

Found out what happened that I was able to check my bags early at RDU yesterday.

Several young Marines were flying Airtran to Pensacola to continue their training. The supervisor opened a lane to get them boarding passes and take their luggage.

It was coincidental that I was on the same flight, so my agent tossed my luggage onto the belt knowing that they had already started a cart for the military bags.

It seems that there is only so much space allocated to luggage carts that WN can secure. Since the 5:00 flight was cancelled, the 8:08 flight was the only FL left and they made an exception.

Was very nice that the boys checked three bags free each.

Some days timing is everything.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I have always been told when trying this that it was a problem with having enough storage. If they use carts as storage units, it makes sense.

What does not make sense is when I was told 5 minutes before the deadline that I cold not check the bag. I stepped out of line, walked around and got back in line. It took about 6 minutes to get to the agent and all was well.

I guess rules are rules.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:53 am

I was told that the system won't even allow the baggage tag to be printed more than four hours in advance. Texas Booster's report would seem to indicate that is untrue, or perhaps that it takes a supervisor to override the system.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:20 pm

I had a long lay over between flights (7 hrs) in La Guardia airport.
I was hoping to check my bags early and then make a quick trip to the city
...It did not work...Can't check bag too early and can't storage bag (due to security there is no storage service at most airports).

So I end up waiting at at the airport to check my luggage and then skipped the quick trip to Nyc.

For long lay over, if you hope to leave your bags and go out of the airport (shopping, tour or a business meeting)...you need to bring your bags with you, if you have more than 4 hrs to your next Southwest flight.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by italiancal
I had a long lay over between flights (7 hrs) in La Guardia airport.
I was hoping to check my bags early and then make a quick trip to the city
...It did not work...Can't check bag too early and can't storage bag (due to security there is no storage service at most airports).

So I end up waiting at at the airport to check my luggage and then skipped the quick trip to Nyc.

For long lay over, if you hope to leave your bags and go out of the airport (shopping, tour or a business meeting)...you need to bring your bags with you, if you have more than 4 hrs to your next Southwest flight.
if you're ever in that situation again there you can store your luggage in midtown at a place called Schwartz Travel.

i've used it several times.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:17 pm

It's not ideal, since you still have to lug your bags out of and back into the airport, but one thing that works is to check your bags with the bell desk at a nearby hotel. There's often one connected to (or a free shuttle bus ride away from) the airport. I've done this many times with a longish layover. Well worth the cost of the tip.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:45 am
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver
I hate to bump a very old thread--but any thoughts if the 4-hour rule applies to international travel as well? Since you have to get your passport reviewed, etc?
Old May 10, 2017, 12:13 pm

They recommend you arrive 3 hours before an international departure. No reason to be at an airport 4 hours before such a flight.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Is is still four hours with the new it system?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.