Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Companion Pass Award Travel - Primary Holder Not Traveling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:53 am
Original Poster

I have a unique situation. I have booked AUS-RNO on points for me & daughter with my wife added as my companion.

I now have a work commitment where I will drive and meet them in Tahoe that day. It appears that all the tickets are separately booked (i.e. separate record locators,etc.).

Since she was on a companion pass, do I need to call and change anything or can I just check everyone in that day, and I will just not fly?

I'm concerned there will be a change in points/fees or some other hassle with making these changes....
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: UA,AA,WN, Marriott & Hilton Gold
From the T&C:

The Companion Pass is valid for travel only when the Companion is accompanied on his/her flight(s) by the Rapid Rewards Member.

The "Rapid Rewards Member" means the CP holder, so you have to actually be on the plane with your companion. You'll need to call and make changes. If I'm right, you'll probably have to pay the fare difference to change your reservation to her name.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:44 am

Yep; if you're not on the flight, your companion doesn't fly. She'll need a new reservation booked with points or $.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
I have to ask.......does anyone have the experience of being the primary only the Companion boards(?). Do they come over the intercom and pull the companion off the flight? For giggles, I've wanted to try this....just to see how it's handled. Clearly I'm a bad person.

The companion could be on board, while I'm stuck in security, many scenarios.....I don't always board at same time, or first with my companion.....
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I've seen a passenger paged off the plane due to this. Gate agent's computer cannot close out the manifest without the companion onboard.

If crew is generous with sacrificing on-time pushback for the day, passenger might be allowed to buy full fare ticket and reboard.

The fine print says misuse of program will result in loss of CP privileges and closure of rapid reward account & accrued points/awards.

The one exception is that the CP earner & the companion can in fact be split up for irregular operations, if the gate agent notes their itinerary that one of them volunteered to give up their seat for compensation in the event of an oversale.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
It should be clear that if Southwest were to permit that which you're asking about, the Companion Pass would be a completely free pass for as much travel as the Companion wants, which would be spectacularly unsustainable. (It's remarkable that the Companion Pass program has actually survived thus far.)

The only concession which I could imagine Southwest offering reasonably fairly would be to allow a name change on your ticket to the Companion's name. Any CP holders reading this thread who has tried that?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:52 pm

Question Same situation - different circumstances

Am happy to hijack this thread that I stumbled upon while trying to find an answer to my own question.

The situation is this: my partner is the CP holder - I'm the companion.
We have yet to fly our first ever WN flight, because the CP holder (my partner) has unexpectedly been transferred overseas for an assignment and cannot fly WN for the foreseeable future and duration of the CP.

Does this mean effectively that my Companion Pass is rendered as unusable ?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Yes, if your partner is the one with the Companion Pass, they cannot transfer it to someone else, and they must be on the flight with the Companion.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by AUSMatt
I have a unique situation. I have booked AUS-RNO on points for me & daughter with my wife added as my companion.

I now have a work commitment where I will drive and meet them in Tahoe that day. It appears that all the tickets are separately booked (i.e. separate record locators,etc.).

Since she was on a companion pass, do I need to call and change anything or can I just check everyone in that day, and I will just not fly?

I'm concerned there will be a change in points/fees or some other hassle with making these changes....
Why don't you just change it now? I wouldn't take the chance of embarrassment for your wife and possibly losing your RR status (including this companion pass) when you already have the RR points in your account to book a ticket for your wife. When her situation is discovered at the gate, at the least she will have to buy a full fare ticket to fly on that flight. Is it worth it?

This may smell more like a "scam" than a "unique situation" to the folks at Southwest!

Last edited by NextTrip; Aug 24, 2013 at 10:20 am
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by antinseattle
I have to ask.......does anyone have the experience of being the primary only the Companion boards(?). Do they come over the intercom and pull the companion off the flight? For giggles, I've wanted to try this....just to see how it's handled. Clearly I'm a bad person.

The companion could be on board, while I'm stuck in security, many scenarios.....I don't always board at same time, or first with my companion.....
Giggles?!? If the primary is stuck in security, in the restroom or in the bar, the ops agent may very well ask the companion to step aside and wait for the primary. If the primary is already on board, ops will look on their manifest to check if the primary has indeed boarded. If the primary is no where to be found, the companion will be required to buy a full fare ticket to fly on that flight. Yes, you are a bad person!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:21 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Any recent experiences?

Similar thread topic here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ss-flight.html
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by b8b
Any recent experiences?

Similar thread topic here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ss-flight.html
I do not know why this is asked every few weeks here.

The Companion CANNOT fly without the CP holder on the same flight. Only exception is a case where WN needs a seat and the gate agent specifically overrides the computer to shift people to various flights. This situation is quite rare.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by b8b
Any recent experiences?

What do you hope to learn? The policy exclusive of IRROPS is quite clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.