Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changing return of a R/T to a different airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards

My parents currently have a round trip booked from BDL to MCO. They've now decided they want to visit my uncle in Tampa for a few days after their currently scheduled trip. So they want to change the return leg of that round trip to go from TPA to BDL. It seems this can't be done on the website, because they booked a round trip rather than two one-ways. They also don't want to cancel the entire round trip and book the two one-ways, because the first leg (BDL->MCO) has gone up in price significantly since they booked.

What are their options? The trip was booked on points. What happens if they simply book a new TPA->BDL one-way, and no-show the MCO->BDL? Will those points for the return leg go back to their accounts? Or is this a "Call SWA and explain the situation" scenario?

Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:24 pm
FSU

Just went through this exact scenario today (although booked with $). I called and the agent cancelled the leg I wanted to change and left the other intact (it was a round trip ticket as well). I then booked the new leg as one way fare.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Thanks, FSU. What happened to the money used for the cancelled leg? Did you immediately get TTF, or have to wait until the first half of the original R/T was completed?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:34 pm
FSU

Originally Posted by mritty
Thanks, FSU. What happened to the money used for the cancelled leg? Did you immediately get TTF, or have to wait until the first half of the original R/T was completed?
The credit for the cancelled leg attached to the original PNR. When I booked the new leg I selected the "use t funds" and typed in the original PNR. The new tickets were actually less, so I owed no money and still have a partial credit. I do have a new PNR for the new leg.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
If a points reservation is cancelled or no-showed, the points go back into whatever account they came from. No penalty. Soon they will start penalizing no-shows.

The security fee might become TTF in this case. If you care about that, you should call Customer Service to cancel and ask for a refund to the CC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.